Why 80% of NFL players are broke 2 yrs after they retire

They paid more money on Old Fashioneds than I pay on dinner out with my wife and kid. But, you can't expect public sympathy when you hold out for a bigger contract AND for go broke spending it. One or the other.

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you and your family 50 years, not 5.

Plus the handful of women asking for child support. Do they count as family?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans will pay the same regardless of whether or not athletes are "responsible" with their money or not - or even if they are well paid or not. That's just economics. The league and the owners primarily seek to maximize revenues and profits. The NFLPA joins them except in cases where it adversely effects the players (like more games). Then the owners and NFLPA fight over each's share of the take.

As for how players (and even owners) spend their money I could not possibly care less. If they want to burn through it in five years and live the life of their dreams, so be it. It's their money. If they want to make it last their whole lives, then that's great. The only ones I have any sympathy for are the ones that invested and tried to be responsible, but got taken by scam artists. I bet they would have rather blown it all on $60k dinners and Bentleys than have seen Bernie Madoff or one of his ilk make off with it.

Where did I contradict that? Did I imply I didn't understand the economics?

I just pointed out that it's the fans that pay for these excesses, and wondered where the tipping point for fans might be. It's pretty close for me, and not just due to the behavior of the players.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Where did I contradict that? Did I imply I didn't understand the economics?

I just pointed out that it's the fans that pay for these excesses, and wondered where the tipping point for fans might be. It's pretty close for me, and not just due to the behavior of the players.

I think that the implication was pretty clear. Why do you care what the players spend their money on? Do you care that Irsay uses the money he's making from owning a team to pay for his dope and booze? The fans pay for those, too. What other goods and services do you refrain from purchasing because of how employees of those companies spend their money? It just seems odd that this particular situation is such an affront to you.

I think that the implication was pretty clear. Why do you care what the players spend their money on? Do you care that Irsay uses the money he's making from owning a team to pay for his dope and booze? The fans pay for those, too. What other goods and services do you refrain from purchasing because of how employees of those companies spend their money? It just seems odd that this particular situation is such an affront to you.

No dude. Re-read my post, "Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports."... got it?

I don't think it's a big deal. In the grand scheme of NFL excess, this is nothing. I'm more annoyed by the degradation of the fan experience. The restrictions, the constant advertisements, the fleecing of the fans and communities, the game delays, the ticket prices, parking fees, commercial time outs, ...yada yada yada.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I assume that the "80%" in the thread title was a made up figure for dramatic effect. Unfortunately it likely means that in 12 months people will be stating it as a fact.

I wouldn't mind knowing the actual figure though....

from Sports Illustrated.......78% of NFL players are broke within 2 years after retirement and 60% of NBA players are broke 5 years into retirement. NFL career averages 3 years so if he makes the squad and can stick he'll make around 1.2 million. It varies from guys like Jack Clark who bought 18 cars at the same time and not to rebuild, and guys who had horrible investments. Mark Brunnell owes over 20 million dollars, then there is Travis Henry. The NBA is less about poor investments

I assume that the "80%" in the thread title was a made up figure for dramatic effect. Unfortunately it likely means that in 12 months people will be stating it as a fact.

I wouldn't mind knowing the actual figure though....

Nah... I should have said "nearly 80%" but I just rounded up - it is 78%. I can't believe it either.

from Sports Illustrated.......78% of NFL players are broke within 2 years after retirement and 60% of NBA players are broke 5 years into retirement. NFL career averages 3 years so if he makes the squad and can stick he'll make around 1.2 million. It varies from guys like Jack Clark who bought 18 cars at the same time and not to rebuild, and guys who had horrible investments. Mark Brunnell owes over 20 million dollars, then there is Travis Henry. The NBA is less about poor investments

Nah... I should have said "nearly 80%" but I just rounded up - it is 78%. I can't believe it either.

Wow....so 80% was just rounding off. 78% is a phenomenal figure, but on reflection doesn't sound too surprising. A vast majority of people I have ever met have had very little concept of money. An increase in wage typically means an increase in spending. The more one earns, the bigger the debts it seems.

Edited by Dibs

Wow....so 80% was just rounding off. 78% is a phenomenal figure, but on reflection doesn't sound too surprising. A vast majority of people I have ever met have had very little concept of money. An increase in wage typically means an increase in spending. The more one earns, the bigger the debts it seems.

Sad fact is that many of these "kids" go from never having any money at all, to having an exhorbitant amount of money. It is like those people that win the lottery and have no idea what to do or how to handle it, and they are broke again a few years later.

Just saw this and Florios reaction..priceless, and I like Florio.

But sure did not seem to be an uproar from Mike when the whole "mickleson involved in insider trading" was 100% discredited...and that was on not only the front page of the sports section...but the business section as well.

I like florio more than most and I'm not in the group bashing reporters for sharing players tweets as news- but he got too carried away. A good reminder for him that just because most athletes make things easy on journalists doesn't mean that his job should be easy/thought-free.

He might have a slightly warped perspective given he's coming from a non-journalist background.

Sure guys like Sammy Watkins get $12 mil guaranteed, but a lot of these rookies are trying just to get a roster spot and don't have cash like that to throw around. I think that kind of hazing is disgusting. Way to be a good example for the young guys. Could you imagine stuff like this going on in any other profession? You would think after the Incognito stuff these teams would tighten the reins on these guys

They piss away their money on clothes, fancy cars, women, houses, and bling. Most of them didnt graduate from college and wee passed thru high school the only skills they have was playing a sport. Throw in the child support for being a Baby Daddy to 7 different women Travis Henry there is your answer.....

I talked to a guy who was in the NFL in the 90s. He was a back up and made good money. His parents made sure he saved his money. It was eye opening when he told how guys would compete in how much they could spend on cars, homes and travel even after the NFL rookie meetings. This guy now owns his own business and is frugal when his peers are broke and some are homeless. Sad that guys run through their money so quickly.