EJ in review

vegas55

Through the beauty of NFL rewind, I recently had the chance to watch Bills opener v Pats last year. In a fairly tough situation for a rookie QB, first game, Patriots, Brady etc - EJ produced quite an impressive performance, much better than I had remembered. He played extremely well. Actually, he appeared to be the most composed player on the offense, and it was disappointing how the veteran players let him (and Bills fans) down. First possession of game, Spiller produces a ridiculous fumble, not from a hit but from shifting ball from right to left hand. Dumb penalties hurt. Chandler has a big drop. And of course, not to be outdone by anybody, good old Stevie Johnson has a huge drop on a very easy pass, 3rd and two on a big drive in the fourth quarter. Thank the heavens that we don't have to watch that loser come up small in big situations anymore. It was especially rough to watch Pats receivers, making less than half the money Stevie was making, come up with difficult catches in that last quarter.

So it's a huge positive as far as EJ is concerned, and a classic case of addition by subtraction as the team ridded itself of the choking cancer that Stevie Johnson was.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Stevie drop was huge, in that frame you can see Marrone grabbing his head with both hands after it. Had we kept the ball moving and scored a FG we would have won that game.

Or just keep the clock rolling. That was the most frustrating moment of the season for me. Even more than the fumbles in Toronto.

Yep. That was a blown loss, as was the Atlanta game, thanks to Stevie (and Chandler). If EJ is healthy for the whole Browns game and the Chefs game, they win both of those. How horrible is the Bills' luck that both Kolb and EJ get injured in pre-season, Lewis isn't ready to start meaning Tuel had to come in during the Browns game, and then Lewis gets injured and misses the Chefs game. Oy.

Scratch the last part of my original post but as sodbuster said we could have kept the clock ticking and maybe with a score we win that game. I thought there was less time in the clock when Stevie dropped that ball.

j2nj.jpg

Or just keep the clock rolling. That was the most frustrating moment of the season for me. Even more than the fumbles in Toronto.

And of course, what makes it worse is how Stevie, as the season progressed, would show up his QBs every time they made a mistake.

I like Stevie, but, off the top of my head, you can attribute 3 losses directly to him (NE, PIT, ATL). Not sure you could say that about any other WR in the league.

I gotta ask, if as you say, 3 losses are directly attributable to him (and it's actually more), and he was a lousy teammate and consistent trouble guy (benched etc) - what is it that makes you "like" Stevie.

One thing about SJ13 says something about Fitz. For as poor as he was the 2010 season allowed him to throw it for 3000 yards and if he would have made that connection to SJ13 - which he did and SJ13 actually dropped - well, history might very much be different today on what happened to both of those players.

That one drop was huge.

Scratch the last part of my original post but as sodbuster said we could have kept the clock ticking and maybe with a score we win that game. I thought there was less time in the clock when Stevie dropped that ball.

j2nj.jpg

Is that Marrone with his hands over his head in despair?

Edit - I just saw Fixxxer said it was. Seeing the score with the Bills winning in the 4th makes me ill.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The first possession of the season, second Offensive snap of the ball, and CJ drops it. A gift 3 points to the Patriots. We loose by 2. Inexcusable!!!! And many on this site will blame the rookie QB or the rookie coach. EJ played a hell of a game, for his first game. He got little help from his veterans.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

I gotta ask, if as you say, 3 losses are directly attributable to him (and it's actually more), and he was a lousy teammate and consistent trouble guy (benched etc) - what is it that makes you "like" Stevie.

Haha. I liked him because I liked that he wanted to play here and had fun. I also liked his bball style routes, which I thought were effective.

But, what I didn't like was that he was anti-clutch. He is exactly the kind of opposite of a player that you build a championship team around--ie, a guy who is good, but makes critical mistakes when the game is on the line.

Is that Marrone with his hands over his head in despair?

Edit - I just saw Fixxxer said it was. Seeing the score with the Bills winning in the 4th makes me ill.

Me too. This thread should be closed and someone should give the Men in Black light us all so we never knew what we know.

Completely untrue. No one has said anything other than Stevie was an excellent teammate. He was not traded because he was a locker room problem or a poor teammate.

I feel like this every year it seems, but I do see a lot of hope for the team this season. Many reasons to think so.

But in years past I've had to go through countless mental gymnastics in order to find enough reasons for hope. This year, the reasons are obvious and evident. This roster has more talent than we've seen from this franchise in at least a decade. If EJ can take a step, the rest of the pieces are there.