Pegula sells land for $1.75 Billion, Will Bid on Bills!

Billionaires aren't able to hire great people to help them manage their diverse portfolio holdings? You have got to be kidding!

+1, this is not an issue in the least. The only issue with respect to Pegula is whether he has the personal interest in being an NFL owner.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golisano owns and runs Paychex. Is a philanthropist who has a foundation in his name that donates large sums of money to various causes and institutions. Is soon to be married and resides in Florida, not NY anymore. Where are you getting the information that he has all this free time?

If you wanna get something done, you ask a busy person.

... it seems AEP initiated this and the wheels have been in motion for months. ...

Point noted, thanks. Billion dollar properties might not have great liquidity, so selling when the selling is good makes sense. Even so, all of us partisans approve of the timing! On a separate note for the fracking afficionados, it's interesting that McClendon bought Pegula's land.

Can you give me a list of these "bad trades" you speak of? Is one getting the Islanders #1 pick plus Matt Moulson for Vanek? Or how about getting a #1 from Nashville for Paul friggin' Gausted?

As for TP's involvement obviously you must have been in a coma when he was flying his private jet to meet with all these crappy free agent signings and convince them to come to Buffalo and allow him to make them wealthy.

The point is only that Darcy identified the players and TP romanced them and sealed the deal. He didn't say I want Leino after scouting him and forcing Regier to make trades he didn't want to make. I don't call that meddling. I call that good ownership. His mistake was keeping Darcy too long.

For the record, I was in favor of keeping Darcy, too, originally. I thought he should be given the chance to be able to do what he wanted to do without the restraints.

I was wrong.

The point is only that Darcy identified the players and TP romanced them and sealed the deal. He didn't say I want Leino after scouting him and forcing Regier to make trades he didn't want to make. I don't call that meddling. I call that good ownership. His mistake was keeping Darcy too long.

For the record, I was in favor of keeping Darcy, too, originally. I thought he should be given the chance to be able to do what he wanted to do without the restraints.

I was wrong.

I think Darcy became the official whipping boy of Sabres fans. Did he need to go? Sure, if only to freshen things up. But to paint him as some hockey imbecile is ludicrous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think Darcy became the official whipping boy of Sabres fans. Did he need to go? Sure, if only to freshen things up. But to say he was some hockey imbecile is ludicrous.

i didnt say he was an imbecile. Leino was a bad trade. Regehrer was a decent player but a bad signing. Ehrhoff is a very good player who hasn't really performed but to me that is because of the players around him. Darcy surely made some great trades. But he stuck with Lindy too long and the hiring of Rolston was terrible. He didn't find components that worked together. He left the organization woefully thin at quality forwards and scoring.

The team, under his stewardship, became the worst in the league. That was in part because he had to trade away his good players because they no longer wanted to be here.

I think Leino came from all the newly found dollars and Richards not signing with buffalo and D'Arcy and pegula going after the next best fa in the worst possible year for that

Holding onto ruff was D'Arcys worst crime imo. With a new voice they may have gotten more from the talent from 07 to 13

The decision this year to keep the prospects up while getting their doors blown off in front of a vocal hateful home crowd was also poor and likely what did him in.

Edited by May Day 10

could be market conditions, the price of natural gas, etc. might not have anything to do with the Bills. don't mean to be a downer...just stating facts. you get rich by buying when the time is right...and selling when the time is right

I don't disagree and someone mentioned earlier that 3-4 other sales like this just took place. I suppose that I should have done more due diligence. It just looked to me like liquidating $1.75B right now would make a lot of sense if he were involved. Edited by Kirby Jackson

i didnt say he was an imbecile. Leino was a bad trade. Regehrer was a decent player but a bad signing. Ehrhoff is a very good player who hasn't really performed but to me that is because of the players around him. Darcy surely made some great trades. But he stuck with Lindy too long and the hiring of Rolston was terrible. He didn't find components that worked together. He left the organization woefully thin at quality forwards and scoring.

The team, under his stewardship, became the worst in the league. That was in part because he had to trade away his good players because they no longer wanted to be here.

We didn't trade for Leino. He was a free agent signing.

Leino became an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2011 season. He signed a 6-year, $27 million contract with the Buffalo Sabres on July 1, 2011

You didn't call him an imbecile. I was referring to others at SabreSpace. I agree about Ruff staying too long, and really Darcy stayed too long as well. But if there was one thing Darcy was good at was making trades.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The rule is:

If you own an NFL team you may own a team in another league as long as a) it's in the same market as your NFL team, or b) The team is in a non-NFL market.

Jacobs can't own the Bills outright because he owns the Bruins and Boston has an NFL team. Paul Allen can own the Seahawks and the Portland Trailblazers because Portland is not an NFL market. And if Terry Pegula buys the Bills, it's cool because the Sabres are also in Buffalo.

I understand the rule but I wonder how such a rule would work in a bigger city like NY as they have multiple NFL teams. I am guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent some sort of Bias?

Golisano owns and runs Paychex. Is a philanthropist who has a foundation in his name that donates large sums of money to various causes and institutions. Is soon to be married and resides in Florida, not NY anymore. Where are you getting the information that he has all this free time?

I believe he retired from that a long time ago.

He moved his residency to a state without a personal income tax that was costing him 14k a day. I have to say, I would do the same if it was costing me that amount of money. You know what you failed to point out however, his love for this region, his fight to lower those taxes and oh, take a looky there, his pachecks business is still in the Rochester area and has no plans of leaving.

Edit: And to your question of free time, any individual who has the time to make a gubernatorial run has some time. Those runs aren't long term commitments, they run withing the cycle time between elections. He's a billionaire, he has some spare time on his hands.

He is still in the courts here in Rochester as well over property taxes that he thinks he should not have to pay. NY is tax crazy and I do not blame him at all for leaving. Wouldn't blame him if he moved Paychex as well.

And yes he does love the region that is pretty clear. He donates a lot of money every year to universities, high schools, and a children's hospital that bears his name in Rochester.

As to free time, I guess we disagree. In my experience Golisano and others like him do not spend all day on the back porch sipping margaritas. They are plenty busy. Could he make the time to run the Bills, almost certainly. Particularly if he left Brandon to most of the day to day like he does now. But lots of free time is unlikely at least in my opinion :)

I understand the rule but I wonder how such a rule would work in a bigger city like NY as they have multiple NFL teams. I am guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent some sort of Bias?

That's a good question.

He is still in the courts here in Rochester as well over property taxes that he thinks he should not have to pay. NY is tax crazy and I do not blame him at all for leaving. Wouldn't blame him if he moved Paychex as well.

And yes he does love the region that is pretty clear. He donates a lot of money every year to universities, high schools, and a children's hospital that bears his name in Rochester.

As to free time, I guess we disagree. In my experience Golisano and others like him do not spend all day on the back porch sipping margaritas. They are plenty busy. Could he make the time to run the Bills, almost certainly. Particularly if he left Brandon to most of the day to day like he does now. But lots of free time is unlikely at least in my opinion :)

lol, well, I will say you are correct in that he isn't on his back porch sipping margaritas, although, I would be if I had a billion or more :)

But yes, I concur, I'm not stating he has all the time in the world. My point is more along the lines of him making time, and something would have to be involved on his end to want to take that time. Since it's already been reported he may make a bid, I have to assume that time is already available. But to the point of his involvement, there is always ulterior, or secondary motives for this involvement in most cases.

My screen name wasn't always Hopeful Future, prior to learning of Pegula's move into the WNY region I went by another name. There is a reason I changed it. And it's good news for WNY, even if it hasn't fully manifested itself yet. And these power broker parties I speak of in my posts are a large part of that ;)

lol, well, I will say you are correct in that he isn't on his back porch sipping margaritas, although, I would be if I had a billion or more :)

But yes, I concur, I'm not stating he has all the time in the world. My point is more along the lines of him making time, and something would have to be involved on his end to want to take that time. Since it's already been reported he may make a bid, I have to assume that time is already available. But to the point of his involvement, there is always ulterior, or secondary motives for this involvement in most cases.

My screen name wasn't always Hopeful Future, prior to learning of Pegula's move into the WNY region I went by another name. There is a reason I changed it. And it's good news for WNY, even if it hasn't fully manifested itself yet. And these power broker parties I speak of in my posts are a large part of that ;)

Who.are.you. :ph34r:

Fair enough, I don't know the whole process. I was just stating that if 3.3 Billion was in fact his net worth before, it's probably no different now, barring a major change in the valuation of his assets (which could certainly come about from a sale of property such as this.)

I heard Howard Simon ask today, so if his worth was 3.3B and now he sold this for 1.7, then his worth is now 5.0B, right?

:wallbash: