World Cup Thread

Was at a bar near my house watching Mexico and the Netherlands. Great match. They had the Spanish feed on. There were only like 12 people there, I was there with 1 friend, and 7 of them there were of some kind Hispanic origin, it was obvious from how they looked and they spoke Spanish to each other.

So they were cheering hard for the Netherlands. I had to ask where they were from, they said us 6 are from Honduras, and the one on the end, who was the quietest fellow, was from Mexico. I said why are rooting for Netherlands and two of them said, "We don't like Mexico". Was funny.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at a bar near my house watching Mexico and the Netherlands. Great match. They had the Spanish feed on. There were only like 12 people there, I was there with 1 friend, and 7 of them there were of some kind Hispanic origin, it was obvious from how they looked and they spoke Spanish to each other.

So they were cheering hard for the Netherlands. I had to ask where they were from, they said us 6 are from Honduras, and the one on the end, who was the quietest fellow, was from Mexico. I said why are rooting for Netherlands and two of them said, "We don't like Mexico". Was funny.

I was rooting for Mexico. What a heartbreaker! I work with a girl from Mexico--she's in shock about it. Would have been an unbelievable moment if they could have held on for another few minutes.

I was rooting for Mexico. What a heartbreaker! I work with a girl from Mexico--she's in shock about it. Would have been an unbelievable moment if they could have held on for another few minutes.

I was very impressed with how Mexico played for 85 minutes. They dominated the first half, but they failed to capitalize on a lot of good scoring chances and it ultimately bit them. The PK was a travesty though. Tough pill to swallow.

I was very impressed with how Mexico played for 85 minutes. They dominated the first half, but they failed to capitalize on a lot of good scoring chances and it ultimately bit them. The PK was a travesty though. Tough pill to swallow.

Travesty? Robben embellished the fall but he got tripped. The defender made contact only with his feet. Probably get that penalty called 70+% of the time.

That was a PK. As clear as day. It seems like everyone needs God knows what to call a PK. The reality is, it's a foul in the box. The good defenders don't get PK's called against them.

That's what I thought when I saw it live. But the slo-mo replay showed that it should not have been called. Robben's dive/acting was very persuasive.

His foot came in contact with Robben's foot. I can't find a legit replay but when I saw it then, it looked like a clear cut PK that he obviously embellished but this is not surprising with Robben.

He dived earlier in the game and that should have been a yellow.

That's what I thought when I saw it live. But the slo-mo replay showed that it should not have been called. Robben's dive/acting was very persuasive.

Marquez tripped him. Robbens play-acted the dive. Like the guys who draw a charge in basketball and fall back and slide 6 feet.

Level of contact was a 4...level of acting on the dive was a 10.

I still doubt Altidore starts. Hamstrings are so tricky. The last thing the US wants is Altidore playing timid.

Marquez tripped him. Robbens play-acted the dive. Like the guys who draw a charge in basketball and fall back and slide 6 feet.

Level of contact was a 4...level of acting on the dive was a 10.

I still doubt Altidore starts. Hamstrings are so tricky. The last thing the US wants is Altidore playing timid.

Agreed

I think if he plays at all, he has to start. No way he comes off the bench and risk using 2 subs. Worse cause if he starts is, he gives it a go and you lose 1 sub.

I think if he plays at all, he has to start. No way he comes off the bench and risk using 2 subs. Worse cause if he starts is, he gives it a go and you lose 1 sub.

I'm saying he doesn't play at all unless the US is desperate for a goal late in the game.

IF he can play and is in form, that would be huge.

I'm saying he doesn't play at all unless the US is desperate for a goal late in the game.

IF he can play and is in form, that would be huge.

Oh I agree I just meant when the line up is released it'll be telling. Cause if he isn't starting, he isn't playing at all, IMO.

That was my opinion as well. Some contact was made with Robben's left foot as it was planted and transitioning to his right foot. However, rather than continuing on, Robben doesn't even attempt to plant his right foot. He just throws it out to the side in a clear dive.

Regardless, adios Mejico

So psyched for the USA game today! Recording the game so I have to try and block out all communication at work till I leave at 4:30. I have this terrible feeling that as I'm leaving my office someone will spoil some part of it for me but we'll see.