WEDG Report: Rogers meets with Cuomo & Bills

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much dent?? Try 20%. That's a big dent.

Would all 18% suddenly swear allegiance to the new team? Plus 2 more percent?

There is a considerable counter-culture in Hamilton south that goes against anything Toronto. I would suspect the hatred toward that team would create some Bills fans who would otherwise not care.

Maybe the 18% would dip. Maybe not. If they are in the same Division too you can count on 1 guaranteed sellout

I think the possibility of Toronto and Buffalo is interesting to think about and I wouldnt instantly dismiss the idea as automatic fail

Edited by May Day 10

This helps to hurry up the new stadium in WNY

I hope so. I'm a Cleveland native and the current situation here looks very similar to the one there. The change of ownership is different as is the lack of incentive that the NFL had to want the move. At the time of the Cleveland move many NFL teams were finding it difficult to get quality deals from their cities for new stadiums. The Browns move spurred that in a big way as cities were worried about losing their teams.

The reality in Buffalo is simple, disturbing and familiar to me. A new owner will want to maximize revenue and the key to that is a quality new stadium at favorable terms. If Buffalo (Erie county) wants to keep their team they will need to pony up and they are going to want to do it before there is an all out bidding war. If they drag their feet before agreeing to a new stadium, like Cleveland did, they may find that there is already an undisclosed deal in place somewhere else and that it is too late. Then Buffalo will be handing out the deal they should have offered the Bills - or better - to a team like the Jags to get them to move here.

He likes his chances in court because he will win. That said if he offers 2 billion to the trust and they take a 1 billion offer to someone just because they want to keep it in Buffalo he can sue as well.

How can you sue someone for taking an offer that they would prefer? It is, afterall, her team.

He likes his chances in court because he will win. That said if he offers 2 billion to the trust and they take a 1 billion offer to someone just because they want to keep it in Buffalo he can sue as well.

What in the world are you talking about? Mary Wilson can sell the team for a penny if she wants. It's her team.

Also, what makes you think he will win?

1. Rogers would need approval first from the trust to buy the team, then from the league.

2. He would need to win a court case in Erie county so that he could pay the $400 million

3. He would then need approval from the NFL to move the team.

4. He'd have to pay a relocation fee, if approve.

5. He'd have to have a place for them to play, as Rogers centre doesn't meet NFL requirements for attendence and is getting refitted with grass the seats in the lower bowl can't be positioned for football games hence the Argos leaving. That means building a stadium, which hasn't started, and even if it did start today, it would still be at least 2 years before it was finished.

6. These stories are getting more and more ridiculous.

EDIT: And I assume you mean Edward Rodgers, son of Ted Rodgers. Rodgers communication, can't buy a team.

Very similar to the arguments in Cleveland circa 1995. If there is more money to be made, then there is a way out for the owner. And who says they'll move the Bills the instant they buy them? They could time it as they saw fit. If there is a move to Toronto there is a temporary stadium in places to use while a dedicated one is built. They actually have an advantage over other cities with that. I'm sure they could get a temporary exemption for attendance for a year or two. None of the arguments against a move is something that can't be worked around. I saw it up close last time and would rather not go through it again here, but the situations look too similar for my comfort.

A couple of things:

-We do not know the details of the trust

-You really think that he will win a lawsuit in Erie County saying that Erie County violated their lease obligations?

I don't know why I am bothering to respond to this. This whole thing is a non story.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Very similar to the arguments in Cleveland circa 1995. If there is more money to be made, then there is a way out for the owner. And who says they'll move the Bills the instant they buy them? They could time it as they saw fit. If there is a move to Toronto there is a temporary stadium in places to use while a dedicated one is built. They actually have an advantage over other cities with that. I'm sure they could get a temporary exemption for attendance for a year or two. None of the arguments against a move is something that can't be worked around. I saw it up close last time and would rather not go through it again here, but the situations look too similar for my comfort.

Points taken, only difference is Cleveland's owner was alive and he moved the team. If Mary Wilson sells the team to someone who will move them, she completely taints her husband's legacy. IMO, I don't think she wants to do that. Art Moddell willingly tainted his own legacy.

Every situation is unique because of their lease deals. There are no situations that are completely alike. If a move is to take place it will be in 2020. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mary Wilson can take any offer she wants. The Bills are a private concern.

How can you sue someone for taking an offer that they would prefer? It is, afterall, her team.

been done, not in best interest of the overall trust.

Mary Wilson can take any offer she wants. The Bills are a private concern.

Incorrect as usual when on this subject, but it will play out how it should

I believe I asked you this at least twice before, but can you please explain why he'll win in court? For my part I can point you to the lease that states that both parties (the team and the County) agree that the team leaving would represent "irreparable harm" and be grounds for an injunction on behalf of the County.

So, again, why will he win in court? An actual legal explanation as to why the lease wouldn't apply would be preferred, as opposed to a generic "he's got $$ so he'll get what he wants".

Thanks in advance.

Incorrect as usual when on this subject, but it will play out how it should

Can you also point out the terms of the lease that have been publicized while you're at it?