Who is Bills' single most important acquisition for 2014 season??

I would agree with the OP that DC Schwartz is probably the best thing that could happen to the team. To me, one singular player isn't going to make or break this season unless the Bills acquired Drew Brees or Andrew Luck in a trade.

My reasoning for thinking the new DC might be the best acquisition is simple. No Buffalo Bills team has ever been able to shut down their biggest nemesis in QB Tom Brady. For thirteen years that man has owned the Buffalo Bills, and made them his B word. That could change this year under this new DC. Jim Schwartz is a Bill Belichick disciple, and now is coaching a defense loaded with talent just waiting to be properly focused.

This year the Bills could have a top 5 defense in points, yards allowed. JMO.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see this in a poll format, because there are about ten legitimate options to choose from:

Schwartz (DC)

Downing (QB coach)

Hostler (O assistant)

Watkins (WR)

Williams (WR)

Spikes (LB)

Kuoandjio (RT)

Williams (LG)

Graham (DB/ST)

Dixon (RB/ST)

Unlike many years, this year in particular the Bills have made a lot of significant changes and additions.

From the additions of WR Watkins and OT Kouandjio in the draft to ILB B. Spikes to CB C. Graham to WR M. Williams to RB B. Brown and ST demon A. Dixon to many others.

For me, the most significant addition has to be DC J. Schwartz. This guy is a former NFL HC so he can lend a lot of his experience to Marrone, the other coaches, and the players.

He is known for being very smart/intellectual (Georgetown Univ. grad). His former players rave about how he is able to take a complex scheme and make it easy for them to understand. He has kept most of the terminology from last year's defense because in his words, "it's just easier for me to learn the new terminology than to expect the players to learn something new". His schemes will be aggressive and he will emphasize and scheme towards being very strong vs the run. Stopping the run is a very high priority for him. he got his start in the NFL while working under B. Belichick, but really set himself apart as the DC in Tennessee under Fisher.

Who would you say is the single most important acquisition for this upcoming season??

Jim Hostler, if my vote counts! Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Spikes - biggest problem on defense was stopping the run, that held us back. If he does what he is capable of and hopefully Kiko is more effective outside than inside, it could have an enormous impact on our defense.

Spikes - biggest problem on defense was stopping the run, that held us back. If he does what he is capable of and hopefully Kiko is more effective outside than inside, it could have an enormous impact on our defense.

I agree. If we had a better run D last year it may have been enough to at least put us in playoff contention ( even with the popgun offense)

So... assuming Spikes solidifies the Run D and Manuel and co.. can at least marginally improve we should be in good shape.

One must reasonably consider the fact that scheme also had something to do with this. Pettine's scheme was clearly designed to create chaos and force sacks and turnovers, but those may have come at the expense of a decent run defense.

I see Schwartz and Spikes (and even Pepper Johnson) as a combo deal -- all will directly impact this weakness.

That would have been my choice as well if I subscribed to the theory that Manuel would have improved enough over last season on his own to get the ball consistently to Watkins and everyone else. But I don't.

If Josh Gordon can put up nearly 1700 yards in 14 games with Cleveland's cluster f**k at QB, there isn't really much excuse...

One must reasonably consider the fact that scheme also had something to do with this. Pettine's scheme was clearly designed to create chaos and force sacks and turnovers, but those may have come at the expense of a decent run defense.

I see Schwartz and Spikes (and even Pepper Johnson) as a combo deal -- all will directly impact this weakness.

I think it's the players, no DC would have a scheme that ignores stopping the run. Pettine worked with what he had and that was weak inside LB's

I think the obvious player choices are Watkins and Spikes. Watkins will loose up the opposing defense and make us much better just by being on the field.

Spikes makes our run defense legit for the first time in a long time. Guys will follow his lead,

The guy who you really need to keep an eye on is C. Graham. He will be a fan favorite before too long. He will play in the slot and on all four phases of ST. He's a leader and his "can do" attitude is infectious. He's going to make impact plays when he's on the field. When Graham bolted for the Bills, his former HC, J. Harbaugh, said, "Man, we REALLY didn't want to lose that guy".

Reading through this, even the worst detractors of the team have to realize that we've come a long, long way from when Brian Moorman was unquestionably the best player on the team.

I'll say, Spikes.

Reading through this, even the worst detractors of the team have to realize that we've come a long, long way from when Brian Moorman was unquestionably the best player on the team.

I'll say, Spikes.

Yes our record is the same...

(Hopefully to change this year)

The answer for me is "time." Year two in the era for EJ, Marrone, Hackett, and the rest of the holdovers on offense and defense is either going to elevate them to the playoffs or expose them as the not ready for prime time players they may possibly be.

Everything was so new last year. When the QBs and the RBs went down early the entire game plan was thrown out of whack. Without that even happening a first time young coach and coordinator combined with a rookie QB was a Herculean task.

The year two should be the biggest addition and biggest advantage.

Spikes. He is a legit middle line backer. It allows/forces Kiko outside where he belongs in the base defense.

I'm still not sold on Spikes as the MLB in the nickel. Kiko and Kuechly may be the two best nickel MLB's in the league. If Spikes can hold up in the middle in the nickel then Kiko could wreak havoc all year like Matthews in Green Bay.