Who is Bills' single most important acquisition for 2014 season??

Unlike many years, this year in particular the Bills have made a lot of significant changes and additions.

From the additions of WR Watkins and OT Kouandjio in the draft to ILB B. Spikes to CB C. Graham to WR M. Williams to RB B. Brown and ST demon A. Dixon to many others.

For me, the most significant addition has to be DC J. Schwartz. This guy is a former NFL HC so he can lend a lot of his experience to Marrone, the other coaches, and the players.

He is known for being very smart/intellectual (Georgetown Univ. grad). His former players rave about how he is able to take a complex scheme and make it easy for them to understand. He has kept most of the terminology from last year's defense because in his words, "it's just easier for me to learn the new terminology than to expect the players to learn something new". His schemes will be aggressive and he will emphasize and scheme towards being very strong vs the run. Stopping the run is a very high priority for him. he got his start in the NFL while working under B. Belichick, but really set himself apart as the DC in Tennessee under Fisher.

Who would you say is the single most important acquisition for this upcoming season??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it is the QB coach Todd Downing. Most of the other pieces seem to be in place, so for me the difference in whether or not the Bills start back on the road to relevance this season hinges on one EJ Manuel. If he becomes a viable starter the Bills should have at least a decent season. If he sucks ... well you get the picture.

Coach JS. If he can upgrade the Run D while keeping the pass D and turnovers / Sacks we created last year this is a top 5-10 Defense which will be HUGE

Was thinking the same thing. As far as players go, Brandon Spikes.

Watkins, he's the most gifted offensive player that the Bills have had since the Super Bowl era.

Yup

+1

That would have been my choice as well if I subscribed to the theory that Manuel would have improved enough over last season on his own to get the ball consistently to Watkins and everyone else. But I don't.

Watkins, he's the most gifted offensive player that the Bills have had since the Super Bowl era.

I hope so. CJ Spiller was/is pretty gifted himself. He was also a top 10 pick and in 2012 his gifts were on full display. Not ready to hand that distinction over to Watkins that easily just yet. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I hope so. CJ Spiller was/is pretty gifted himself. He was also a top 10 pick and in 2012 his gifts were on full display. Not ready to hand that distinction over to Watkins that easily just yet.

Spiller was gifted but he did not have Watkins build or production coming out. Spiller is an explosive play maker but not the complete game that Sammy brings with him.

Losing Byrd is going to affect the secondary, but I think Brandon Spikes should help out our run D tremendously (he was on the radio this morning, sounded super pumped about being here). Hopefully Kiko can still thrive outside, and hopefully Dareus and step his professionalism and maturity up.

I have faith Manuel is going to be a decent "learner" of the game, and things will slow down for him this year. I'm not sure that I see his ceiling as high as some fans, with regards to some awful footwork he was showing on the field last year. With the addition of Wakins, more freedom for Hackett will certainly allow for more interesting attacks, but we'll have to see how that plays out on the field.

I think we'll see Spikes as the most important on D, and Watkins for our offense.

Sammy Watkins is a dynamic player with star potential, however his success relies squarely on EJ Manuel. I believe that Manuel will improve this year, but I have to wait and see.

So I have to go with Brandon Spikes as our biggest acquisition. We now have a proven run defender in the middle of our backfield, and Kiko Alonso can now play at his natural position at OLB. This will help our defense a lot.

You could also make a strong case for Cyrus Kouandjio. We needed an OT, and we got a steal in the 2nd round.

Spiller was gifted but he did not have Watkins build or production coming out. Spiller is an explosive play maker but not the complete game that Sammy brings with him.

Like I said, I hope you're right. But they do play different positions. Both were the consensus best player on the board at their respective positions coming out.

That would have been my choice as well if I subscribed to the theory that Manuel would have improved enough over last season on his own to get the ball consistently to Watkins and everyone else. But I don't.

C'mon man! :lol:

I understand the choice of Watkins...obviously everybody is excited about him, and for legit reasons.

But, I am going to go out on a limb and say Mike Williams. I think he is much better than a lot of people are presuming. His issues are all off the field, not his game. If he gets his act together (I suppose the Bills have about a half dozen key guys we can say this about) off the field, I think he is going to be a major acquisition for us.

Edited by Buftex