Is Hackett junior varsity?

finn

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey's defense got him fired

It was his choices for DC is what helped him get fired.

Just think if Gailey had built a power run game that controlled the clock, and allowed his defense minimal time on the field ...instead of the marathons his defense would run every game. That running the ball to control the clock would have also kept his inept QB from throwing so much.

The talent on offense was in his RB's that he refused to play as much as he should. Gailey even stated he should be giving both Fred Jackson, Spiller 20 touches a game each, and yet he never did.

Quoted from that WGR article:

"He suffered a high ankle sprain that put a damper on a good portion of his season and just never really evolved into the running back that the Bills were touting him to be ahead of last season. However, the argument can be made that the current Bills coaching staff just didn’t understand where Spiller would be most effective for the team when the regular season games started. They set incredibly lofty expectations as a workhorse back, but that’s not the type of player that Spiller is. By the time they realized what Spiller was, they were in the throes of the season and couldn’t put him in the spots he needed to be."

Soooooooooooooo...we'd rather our top 10 overall pick be a gimmick, gadget player than a workhorse?

From your fingers to SDS eyes, hopefully.

Gailey's defense got him fired

This is not false! What got Gailey fired wasn't the type of plays he called with a known limited QB. Which BTW were very predictable after he kept calling the same quick, short passing plays game after game.

What got Gailey fired more then anything in my view is his over use of that broken QB vs the two superstars he had at RB. Gailey was all about smoke and mirrors and trying to confuse the opposing defense with his lame 4- 5 WR sets when only one of those WR's was worth a damn.

What he should have been doing was figuring out more ways to make the run game work better or get the ball in space to his playmakers at RB. Lets also not forget how often the bum gave up entirely on the run game even when the team was only down by 3 points.

Actually, Wannstache and his historically bad defense got Gailey fired. A top 20 defense would have put the 2011 and 2012 teams in the playoffs.

You mean get the run game working like Hackett did last year? To the tune of second most yards in the NFL?

An abject lie, really?

why don't you take the time to read the run plays for ONLY 2013, and get back to me about that abject lie.

2013 up the middle

2013 up the middle

2013 left guard

2013 right guard

2013 right tackle

2013 up the middle

2013 left guard

2013 up the middle

2013 right guard

you get the idea....then read over this http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

RB carries left end 6%, left tackle 11%, mid guard 71%, right tackle 10%, right end 3%

I did look at the 2013 numbers only.

Last year he was over his head in that Marrone should have done last year what he did this year in hiring an Assistant head Coach in Hostler, and a QB coach for a rookie, and inexperienced back ups.

Because of such inexperience, teams will often rely more on a running game, and safe and easy passes. Compound this with your starter missing half the pre-season, and getting hurt two more times in the year missing 6 regular season games.

There were times where Hackett looked sharp like in the KC game. It's not his fault Tuel throws a critical INT in the end zone, and when Graham drops a ball on our 10 yard line causing a 14 pt. swing in the game. I'm not willing to throw him under the bus yet, but he should be able to open up the passing game this year.

If he was that bad, and all of these teams who had good front 7's knew we were going to run the ball, and our bad O-Line, and we still ended up 2nd in the NFL in the run.

That's not an accident. I'm just saying give him time this year with new tools, a better line we hope, a more mature QB and see how he calls plays this year.

I am not sure if Hackett can cut it. But, love the fact we surrounded him with every tool possible to succeed in the offseason.

Actually, Wannstache and his historically bad defense got Gailey fired. A top 20 defense would have put the 2011 and 2012 teams in the playoffs.

Gailey's first choice for DC was George Edwards , and was given two years 2010 #28 in points- #24th in yards. 2011 30th in points, 26th in yards. 2012, 26th in points, 22nd in yards. While I agree that Wannstedt set some franchise, NFL records for being bad. His overall stats were slightly better then Edwards were.

You mean get the run game working like Hackett did last year? To the tune of second most yards in the NFL?

I did look at the 2013 numbers only.....no you didn't. I looked at most of those numbers and the % shows that the Bills ran mid guard / up the middle 70+ % of the time just like PFF states.

What is it with some fans in thinking that because the Bills had the #2 most rush yards in the league it made them a good team? All those rush stats did was prove that running the ball a lot doesn't win games. Its all about controlling the line of scrimmage, and clock.

6-10, and mostly because Hackett's offense couldn't stay on the field. The Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL last year in time of possession, 3 downs and out, and 3rd down efficiency. Hackett's offense was 22nd in points, 19th in yards. The 522 pass play attempts were actually more then Gailey 511 attempts in 2012.

Hackett has a lot to prove this year as he has way more talent on offense then Chan Gailey ever had in Buffalo.

Hiring Hostler to be "Senior Offensive Assistant" and the QB coach from Detroit should say everything about what Marrone thinks about his OC's abilities. He couldn't outright fire him after 1 season, but then again the HC made a decision to go with a guy who'd never coached a position in the NFL as his OC. I frankly don't care they knew each other from SU, the NFL is obviously a whole new ballgame and not only was Hackett the OC last season, he was charged with coaching a rookie QB. Seems like a awful lot for someone who last worked in the NFL as an offensive quality control coach.

Most fans understand new HC's bring in guys they're familiar with. Marrone's taken that to another level with the college to pro hires, but it could end up costing him his job.

Hiring Hostler to be "Senior Offensive Assistant" and the QB coach from Detroit should say everything about what Marrone thinks about his OC's abilities. He couldn't outright fire him after 1 season, but then again the HC made a decision to go with a guy who'd never coached a position in the NFL as his OC. I frankly don't care they knew each other from SU, the NFL is obviously a whole new ballgame and not only was Hackett the OC last season, he was charged with coaching a rookie QB. Seems like a awful lot for someone who last worked in the NFL as an offensive quality control coach.

Most fans understand new HC's bring in guys they're familiar with. Marrone's taken that to another level with the college to pro hires, but it could end up costing him his job.

I think they believe Hackett is a rising star, but still young. So, they bolster him with these experienced guys to provide more support as Hackett learns on the job.

I think they believe Hackett is a rising star, but still young. So, they bolster him with these experienced guys to provide more support as Hackett learns on the job.

Thank you for the sensible and

may i say

correct answer.

Well done again Good sir .

Its not rocket scientists to understand that adjustment were to be expected form a rookie org.

Seem like a nice effort in team building offseason to get coaches teaching and developing coaches too in the Bills organization. I think they are building long term with Whaley at the helm now. there will at times be a new age of sorts coming up and setting the trend.

the stars are about to align for the Bills

In this day and age I find it depressing that you can't watch games. You can't even watch replays of games online? I can't imagine going back to the days when I would watch a game I didn't care about just to see what the score was in the Bills game, or driving all over the place to find a bar showing the Bills.

To answer your question last years offense was pretty predictable. I'm not sure what the plan was last year. Why not get young guys like Hackett and Manual all the help you can? Did they want to limit the number of voices in a Manuals ear? They have rogognized that what they were doing wasn't working. I think they knew it last year, which is why Hackett was down on the field for the last part of the season. If this offense does not produce this year Hackett will be gone.

It is depressing. I used to have a friend record games for me and send them in the mail, but that was years ago. I hear one can find games streaming online in real time (pirated), but I can't find them on game day. I do see replays of key plays on ESPN, but never whole games. Take it as a measure of my loyalty to the Bills that I've been following them very closely for decades while rarely watching more than two games a year (I'm in Pats* country). Maybe it is pathetic, clicking Refresh every five seconds, but there it is.

Thanks for the kind and informed replies.

It is depressing. I used to have a friend record games for me and send them in the mail, but that was years ago. I hear one can find games streaming online in real time (pirated), but I can't find them on game day. I do see replays of key plays on ESPN, but never whole games. Take it as a measure of my loyalty to the Bills that I've been following them very closely for decades while rarely watching more than two games a year (I'm in Pats* country). Maybe it is pathetic, clicking Refresh every five seconds, but there it is.

Thanks for the kind and informed replies.

I live in Columbus and don't see the games either unless they play Cleveland or Cincy, or are on national TV. Last year I got cheated because their national game was against the Browns :( Anyway, I don't have the NFL Ticket and haven't found a way to get the game online. I do have RedZone and watch it on Gameday so I at least see portions of the game live. I invested $25 in NFL Rewind and I really like it. You can watch any game on NFL.com after it airs live, for the whole season. So what I do is watch RedZone during the game and if they win (and only if they win), then the next day I watch the whole game back. I used to go to a bar in my younger days to watch it, but kids and everything keep me too busy on Sundays. Also, I follow(and constantly refresh) the action on Twitter and ESPN Gamecast on my phone. We are dedicated fans aren't we!

Thank you for the sensible and

may i say

correct answer.

Well done again Good sir .

Its not rocket scientists to understand that adjustment were to be expected form a rookie org.

Seem like a nice effort in team building offseason to get coaches teaching and developing coaches too in the Bills organization. I think they are building long term with Whaley at the helm now. there will at times be a new age of sorts coming up and setting the trend.

the stars are about to align for the Bills

Thank you! We always seem to agree each other-- what's that saying about great minds???

Why then didn't they bolster him with these individuals last season? It stands to reason that someone with NFL experience above the quality control level would understand a rookie OC couldn't possibly handle OC duties along with being QB coach for a raw rookie.

You can avoid reading into the hiring Hostler and a new QB coach in year 2 of the Marrone era. I choose to chalk it up to a latent admission they didn't resource the offensive side of the ball in terms of coaching experience.

Well I agree on the one point which has now been well documented: that EJ does a poor job of letting plays fully develop, this by his own admission, even.

But, when the shortcomings of your best quarterback limit your playcalling abilities AND your offensive line limits your playcalling abilities (as has also been documented) AND your hobbled running back limits your playcalling abilities AND your receiver corps is arguably the worst unit on the team (name a worse one), then what--praytell--is expected of our rookie OC? On top o that, what's expected when the best quarterback goes down? Then the second?

TBC,

I thought Marrone had repeatedly told us that every player practices with the mindset that he is the starter and he will be ready if he gets the call....If Marrone had coached them that way,then we should not have missed a beat :nana:

Why then didn't they bolster him with these individuals last season? It stands to reason that someone with NFL experience above the quality control level would understand a rookie OC couldn't possibly handle OC duties along with being QB coach for a raw rookie.

You can avoid reading into the hiring Hostler and a new QB coach in year 2 of the Marrone era. I choose to chalk it up to a latent admission they didn't resource the offensive side of the ball in terms of coaching experience.

I am not sure we are saying anything different. They see lots of potential in Hackett, they thought he could handle everything last year (he couldn't, at least to what they expected), and so they surround him with more experienced guys to bolster him.

You could maybe chalk that up to Marrone not putting Hackett in the best position to succeed (rookie OC, no QB coach, and three rookie QBs to work with). But at least he did something about it.

Junior Varsity? Try Pop Warner. His head will be on the chopping block if this offence doesn't perform. Pieces are in place around him on the coaching staff to take over with Marrone calling the plays.

Edited by tannins

That, and along with a trio of rookie QB's, and one so raw he wasn't drafted. Which weren't the only head scratchers on the offensive side.

It was also the two worst players in the entire NFL they tried to plug into Andy Levitre's LG position. It was also keeping Chris Hogan over Da'Rick Rodgers. It was keeping Jeff Tuel off the practice squad over Matt Flynn. I still don't see what they see in Hogan or Tuel ....or the 5.5 million in guarantees for new LG in Chris Williams.

Anyway, to Nate Hackett's credit with no QB coach, 3 rookie QB's, and all the injuries and bad players he had to contend with... he didn't do all that badly. He should get better this season with so much talent at WR, RB, and new additions to the O line / coaching staff. Then again, Jauron had two rookie OC's in Turk Schonbert, AVP along with young QB's JP Losman, Trent Edwards and managed 7-9.

With new ownership on the horizon I can only think that this staff has this season to get it together, and become a top 15 NFL offense.

It May well take a lot of dialogue to get coaches to come on board. Sell it per se.

Just keep in mind when Bills hired Gailey and then Wannstadt. No one else would take the job !!

So Marrone and Whaley moreso probably have probably been working on some of these guys for awhile. Sometimes to hire decent people those folks need to buy in rto the program.

But i agree with most that Hackeet is surrounded with talent . Coaches and players alike.

That is how you build a good football team my friends . If Nate falters he will be replaced. That would probably come from Brandon if Marrone was hesitatant .

I think Hackett is MUCH better footballl mind than last years performance . and i expect he will dial it in this year .

Is that particularly provocative? I think it's obvious. Don't you think good coaches learn as they go? Just because Marrone was "above the quality control level" doesn't mean he knew everything about becoming an NFL HC. He had worked with Hackett for several years, but clearly underestimated what was being placed on Nate's shoulders. I'm glad he made moves to rectify that going into his 2nd year.