Peition on change.org for stadium on Lackawanna waterfront

bbb

Everybody keeps talking about this like it's the Love Canal. What type of hazardous materials are there because of steelmaking? I'm not super well versed, but I didn't think they used chemicals.

And, isn't the former Republic Steel now going to be used for a big new facility?

No insult but no you are not super well versed . Neither am i ! The sheer volume of waste spilt in relation to production could be staggering over the years . The water was probably the benefactor of most of the waste.

Not so much the specific toxicity but just a lot of it over the years . Steel and steel processing , or most metal refining , forming and shaping create slag and unusable materials that are discarded . back then thats exactly what they did . Tossed em in the back yard .

The thing i have been thinking here is that the US government is majorly behind on brown sites. Especially NY. One of the worst . State has had a good chunk of change handed to them years ago that was pissed away to balnce the budget with not enough oversite to focus it on site just like these.

I used to have a link to these sites for western NY,

I guess in a round about way that there might stll be money to clean this up and make it viable. I have read all the posts here tediously but learning as i go .

This sounds like a win win if the region can sort out the Transportation. Park some where else and train/ trolley folks in . Surely theres a way to recover the area here by using a new stadium and ancillary options in creating a viable economic engine.

I just want the area restored to safe. Its an amazing opportunity really.

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some info on the State's activities to help clean up the site-

http://www.dec.ny.go...umseh0709fs.pdf

It seems as if it has been stalled since 2009.

I suggest local area residents get highly vocal to the following officials:

Mr. Stanley Radon

NYS DEC Region 9 Office

270 Michigan Avenue

Buffalo, NY 14203

(716) 851-7220

Mr. Larry Thomas

NYS DEC Central Office

625 Broadway

Albany, NY 12233-7258

(518) 402-8594

Mr. Cameron O’Connor

NYS Department of Health

584 Delaware Avenue

Buffalo, NY 14202

(716) 847-4385

Edited by jethro_tull

heres the thing. We can all agree on a few things in sure:

No matter where they decide to build a new stadium, it's going to be a nightmare. If it's downtown, OP, waterfront, NF, etc... There's going to be pitfalls with every option

It's gotta be built somewhere. Why does it matter where needs to be cleaned up

If it's at the old Beth steel site, there's a good chance of some kind of government assistance (federal, state, and local) because of what an eyesore it's become. There's a good chance there is help to clean up the site.

If it's the waterfront, chances are the governments want to help clean it up because it helps with the future development of the city as a whole.

Sir, the cleanup of the Bethlem site is more than a nightmare. It is 500 acres of acid tar, acid sludge, fuel storage, contaminated sediment, sulpher, hydraulic oil, benzene, pyridine, benzol, napthalene, 15 different waste metals and cynanide. The contaminats extend up to 40 feet deep below ground level.

This is no ordinary nightmare. It is a 500 acre plot of hell on the shores of Lake Erie.

BTW the Ralph Wilson Stadium site occupies ~ 130 acres.

Sir, the cleanup of the Bethlem site is more than a nightmare. It is 500 acres of acid tar, acid sludge, fuel storage, contaminated sediment, sulpher, hydraulic oil, benzene, pyridine, benzol, napthalene, 15 different waste metals and cynanide. The contaminats extend up to 40 feet deep below ground level.

This is no ordinary nightmare. It is a 500 acre plot of hell on the shores of Lake Erie.

BTW the Ralph Wilson Stadium site occupies ~ 130 acres.

IMO, if/when they ever start the cleanup of the Bethlehem Steel property they would end up finding it worse than expected. The plot of land on the outer harbor where Shooters used to be is also rumored to be a nasty cleanup, and that didn't have a steel plant built on top of it.

My requirement for a new stadium is roads radiating out a full 360 degrees, so traffic can be handle effectively. None of the waterfront locations work in that regard...as they are limited to 180 degrees of entry and exit traffic. Sooo.......sorry all you advocates of near the water....no good industrial engineer would put that facility next to the water. Lots of pretty pictures, lots of wonderful thoughts....I just don't think that those carry the day for the football fan...he wants to the game , enjoy the game, get outta there....he is NOT there for the view!!!

Jeromeme has an updated post, that looks similar to the one I pasted in my OP. However, for some reason, it's been taken down twice today off this thread...............This update contains a lot of the clean up answers that are being questioned here.

He's asked me to post a link to it instead:

https://www.change.org/petitions/bethlehem-waterfront-park-project

Jeromeme has an updated post, that looks similar to the one I pasted in my OP. However, for some reason, it's been taken down twice today off this thread...............This update contains a lot of the clean up answers that are being questioned here.

He's asked me to post a link to it instead:

https://www.change.o...nt-park-project

interesting. seems like the clean-up is doable and should happen ASAP. just think the stadium should be further north.

My requirement for a new stadium is roads radiating out a full 360 degrees, so traffic can be handle effectively. None of the waterfront locations work in that regard...as they are limited to 180 degrees of entry and exit traffic. Sooo.......sorry all you advocates of near the water....no good industrial engineer would put that facility next to the water. Lots of pretty pictures, lots of wonderful thoughts....I just don't think that those carry the day for the football fan...he wants to the game , enjoy the game, get outta there....he is NOT there for the view!!!

completely disagree. the area needs revitalization and every chance for WNY to shine in the national spotlight is a chance for additional growth and investment.

waterfront stadium traffic patterns can be managed. i have been to games in chicago which is right on lake michigan and traffic is very manageable. candlestick park is on the bay and look at the amazing shots you see of the water during the games.

buffalo IS the waterfront!

This really sounds good to me. I was just driving tonight on Route 5. I don't know how i've never got in an accident there, because I always have to look out at the lake. To me, it's so cool looking when you're around Hamburg Beach, etc. and can see the city, the windmills, etc...........A new stadium where the steel plant used to be would look so great there.

And, this guy is right. For 100 years or more, we've been blocked out of two miles of prime waterfront by the steel plant. This really would be a game changer.

Or am I wrong?:

https://www.change.o...nly-right-place

Here is Jeromeme's post (#39 on this thread):

Nowak-Stadium-Buffalo-NY-3.jpg

Please consider signing petition here https://www.change.o...nly-right-place

The best choice for all of Western New York.

Bethlehem Waterfront Park

* Change Western New York's image forever from the rust belt to a green belt, national showcase.

* Create 1200 acres of usable waterfront, two miles wide and a mile deep of uninterrupted land with plenty of green space projects and parking.

* Provide a domed stadium (retractable roof) beside a large Outer Harbor, with an impressive front plaza and boardwalk overlooking the harbor (600 to 1,000 boat slips). Elevated enclosed walkways connecting domed stadium, Buffalo Bills office, high rise hotels and condos.

* Offer opportunities for other attractions such as a splash lagoon, (possible museums/sports theme attractions), Woodlawn beach extension (total two mile beach), outdoor youth athletic areas (football, baseball and soccer), boat ramps, 10,000 trees, 200 to 400 RV/camper sites, amphitheater/elevated patios overlooking the beach with sunset views, picnic shelters, wildlife/bird nursery, art area (think Artpark), garden area (close to Botanical Gardens), restaurant and shopping district on Ridge Road and old Route Five Boulevard.

* The land has multiple six main existing access roads. A seventh fast track thruway connector (quick access to waterfront for thruway drivers, attracts visitors) can be built on an abandon 2.3 miles railway to link up with Route Five and Waterfront with no tolls. Fast track Route Five, with no stop lights. These will enhance and maximize existing traffic flow for the City of Buffalo rush hour, park and events.

* The domed stadium would be enough away from the immediate shoreline to protect tens of thousands of tailgating Bills fans from the weather. Take advantage of the temperature of the air will be ten degrees warming from the lake retaining the summer heat in the later season.

* Highlight the City of Buffalo’s numerous hotels, restaurants, shops and waterfront by connecting the light rail transit system out and along the waterfront to the park.

* A natural wonder showcase for 80,000 fans and the NATIONAL AWARENESS of millions of viewers to see on TV multiple times a year, attract the SUPER BOWL.

* Western New York offering a vast multiple use and family friendly atmosphere all along the waterfront.

* The greatest of youth plans in miles of waterfront natural beauty, which re-energizes souls and spirits.

* Create tens of thousands of jobs

I sense there are insights from ancient history, a people freed from bondage of four hundred years. They could have gone into their promise land but their conditioning from being in bondage cause them to turn away, saying there were giants in the land. They wandered aimlessly in disbelief for forty years in the wilderness. Only when the older generation died off, the younger generation not afraid, courageously entered the promise land and overcame the obstacles.

When the Bethlehem Steel plant closed in 1983 (31 years ago), Lackawanna citizens doubted saying to themselves there were as if giants in the land in the many large empty buildings, it is to polluted, and there is no money, became wandering aimlessly.

Around the year 1900 there were also a handful of people in power of then the town of Seneca (before separated into Lackawanna) chosen love of money over a serene waterfront. An unfinished painting with an already backdrop of a long sand beach where children played alongside their mothers, sunsets and the lake teamed with blue pike, walleye, perch, and bass. Ready for good stewards, as if with the delicate brush stokes of an artist to paint in a large inner harbor of commercial boats, sail boats, fishing boats, a large waterfront park, a main street filled with shops, parents, children smiling, and tourism. Money recirculated back into the economy instead of being taken to far away serene places never to return. Painted in relatively clean industry in designated areas away from the waterfront. A place to live, work and play.

Instead a handful of people in power chosen to paint in a wall of darkness and pollution. Painted in large darken buildings some containing labyrinths of flowing fire, large smoke stacks discharged large billowing smoke columns blocking the sunlight, fouling the air with fine orange colored particles that hanged in the air and drifted down into every little crevice and onto clothes hanged out to dry. A gaseous noxious sulfur smell permeating the area and the night sky would instantaneously become orange as on fire. Painted in polluted water killed the fish and parts of the lake. Painted in crooked politicians, rows of saloons, brothels and a City Hall that looks like a plastic orange milk crate held up on sticks.

A city on the great lakes where its citizens are completely walled off of its two miles of waterfront shore for a hundred years.

Abraham Lincoln had said: “A house divided against itself can't stand ........... I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other.”

It should be ask, can the waterfront in it's present state endure with industry side by side clean waterfront tourism in the city of Buffalo for long? An example of our house divided is the destruction of the Bethlehem Steel Administration Building https://www.facebook...46390728721646/ . This could of been easily saved for a tourist destination on the waterfont of Lackawanna. Instead outside politicians became mysteriously silent over night as if bowed down to the steel plant legacy mentality of industry on the waterfront.

Twenty years ago Lackawanna citizens, including myself, barely fended off (even by way of death threats) a tire burning plant and medical waste burning faculty to be built on Lackawanna’s waterfront. If not for this victory, there would be smokestacks on Lackawanna’s waterfront today with their exhaust pollution drifting over Buffalo’s Canalside. Much of Buffalo’s waterfront resurgence, revitalization, beautification and saving of the old buildings would have perhaps never solidified the way it has as of late.

Today industry is ramping up again on Lackawanna's waterfront, where more Lackawanna citizens will be economically yoked to the heavy industry on the waterfront. What will happen next time when another polluting industry will offer Lackawanna a deal too good to be true, easy fast money? Will you trust Lackawanna politicians when they see dollars signs in their dreams? Will there be enough citizens not yoked to the growing industry foot print on the waterfront to stop them, next time?

I don't expect the same degree of the steel plant pollution, but it will be another black mark on Western New York’s waterfront. Where again Western New York's clean waterfront image will lose out and jeopardize Buffalo’s resurgence.

Nowak-Stadium-Buffalo-NY-4.jpg

If you're going to begin a waterfront beautification and revitalization, you must go all the way, and carry it to all parts before it is too late. (The mayor on July 12, 2013 said during his conversation with a citizen, there is a company form India interesting in moving to Lackawanna's waterfront, three times as big as the recent large business moved to the waterfront.)

What happens on Lackawanna's waterfront, does not stay on Lackawanna's waterfront, reflects an image and affects all citizens in W.N.Y., New York State and the U.S.A.

Nowak-Stadium-Buffalo-NY-1.jpg?zoom=2&resize=1024%2C542

Buffalo is beginning to prosper, 1.7 billion dollars is being invested in beautifying their waterfront, new buildings throughout the city, and restoring their architectural rich designed buildings. Will Lackawanna ever learn the word diversify, clean light industry currently on Lackawanna's waterfront can be relocated with state and federal grants inland?

Western New York's image will only truly change completely if the 1200 acres of the waterfront of Lackawanna is unclogged with “we care attitudes”, “hone to beautification”, and remove the “pollution build up”, will cause the economy of W.N.Y. to have its original full power intended, will speed ahead, be on a par with other great waterfront areas across the nation, gaining national recognition, attracting people, fueling its economic engine.

Nowak-Stadium-Buffalo-NY-5.jpg

The Buffalo Bills dome stadium can be the catalyst to kick start the two remaining cylinders of W.N.Y. economic engine. The raw economic power will ignite the greatest private, State, and Federal investment revitalization and beautification of Western New York's waterfront. A Western New York's waterfront complete makeover, in the shortest time horizon to be enjoyed, bring prosperity and be appreciated by all a place to live, work and play.

The City of Buffalo's waterfront and the City of Lackawanna's waterfront are forever connected, each has its own particular strengths. One without the other, can never attain their fullness of stature. The strength of Lackawanna's waterfront reclaimed, cleaned up and beautified will have a multifaceted natural appeal. Combined them will complement each another; will uplift each other to the awareness of the nation, for attracting a super bowl and on to the global stage the Olympics.

Add a new six lane Peace Horizons Bridge could be a tourist destination to draw numerous tourist of the 22,000,000 tourist that visit the falls each year. Only a half an hour drive from the falls to the Buffalo area (bring tourist dollars).

Western New York shores ought to be lifted up as bright shinning stars, where others in the world will take notice.

Citybration presented Peace Horizons Bridge And Bethlehem Waterfront Park design, at Canal Side Buffalo New York for one day. People signed the petitions, 184 signatures for Peace Horizons Bridge and over 100 signatures for the Bethlehem Waterfront Park

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

Steven Appler AMHERST, NY

• 6 days ago

I agree that is time to begin wrestling this mess that Bethlehem left, cleaning it up and putting that amazing area back into the tax roll.

Andrew Jansa OMAHA, NE

• 6 days ago

I am from Orchard Park, I still come back all the time and go to games. This is important to me because not only is it a fantastic spot, getting rid of one of the scars of the city and putting something else there that would remind us of where the city use to come from in the Steel days would be a great way to honor past and present.

sally zak EDEN, NY

• 11 days ago

Season ticket holders and if you have to move it then Lackawanna has more than enough room along the waterfront plus it's an eye sore now. Let's make the most of that empty land. Great idea and easy access for all.

Francine Warner GRAND ISLAND, NY

• 12 days ago

I see this as the perfect place for a domed stadium due to the location. Easy to get to from all directions, north from Canada and all of the south towns. Close to Buffalo for out of town visitors to stay over at one of Buffalo's many hotels.

Mary Gallivan BUFFALO, NY

• 12 days ago

I believe that the message is true! We failed at our last attempt. Let's not allow Lackawanna fall to the wayside. I'm from the north side of the city and I can totally see the wisdom of this argument.

Clarence Korabek VIRGINIA BEACH, VA

• 13 days ago

It will beautify the waterfront which should have been done in the 80's. It will also help to keep the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo.

Peter Kujawski KENMORE, NY

• 6 days ago

While not only providing a permanent and contemporary home to the Buffalo Bills, this plan would turn a long dominant and polluted site into a local, national and international destination. I grew up in Buffalo and the Bethlehem Steel site always conjured images for a long gone era. We can reclaim part of that hay day and help rejuvenate the city and surrounding neighborhoods.

Tracy Snyder CANANDAIGUA, NY

• 6 days ago

The Buffalo Bills are an integral part of the Western New York Community and need to be recognized and part of a larger long lasting project here. Local, national, and even international recognition of a project of this magnitude would benefit the region and be a positive move in the right direction for improving the economic and cultural climate. These are critical times and losing the Bills is not an option. This plan is a forward thinking and practical way to ensuring the growth of the region and the future of a long lasting and deeply engrained tradition.

Please consider signing petition here https://www.change.o...nly-right-place

http://forums.twobil...20#entry3152688

the idea is great, but the guys, "people choose money over a park" 100 years ago is way over the top. It's easy to armchair QB 100 + years later. Steel in the 1900's put Buffalo on the map, and provided tens of thousands of good jobs. Without it, Buffalo may have a nice park, but no people to enjoy it. Steel plants needed to be near the water. They were near the water here in Pittsburgh. However, fast forward to now, and it is a perfect idea to re-purpose the old plants into new waterfront attractions. This has been done along the rivers of Pittsburgh with great success, and should be done in Buffalo as well. Just as Buffalo adopted to the steel economey of the early 1900's, it can adopt to the financial, business econometric of today while retooling old steel plants into parks, houses, stadiums, etc..

IMO, if/when they ever start the cleanup of the Bethlehem Steel property they would end up finding it worse than expected. The plot of land on the outer harbor where Shooters used to be is also rumored to be a nasty cleanup, and that didn't have a steel plant built on top of it.

Hopefully Chuckey Schumer, who loves the spotlight, will obtain federal cleanup funds to assist in the effort. They exist, he should get them. Save the Bills, make a nice waterfront location, clean up old steel mill. Win, win, win.

Steel did not put Buffalo on the map. Being at the end of the Great lakes did for commercial travel via the sea route. Steel was an industry here, but not even close to the main industry. That honor is reserved for the chemical industry. Specifically with the creation of the first electrical grid due to hydro-electric power.

Let's not re-write history here, this area's draw for it's growth was electricity to industry and nothing more.

The Lackawana site doesn't have a prayer to be considered, I don't know why people persist with this. It's not the best site in WNY available and actually has many inhibitors that make it an unfriendly site for a stadium. There are many factors to consider here, and 1.7 billion in funding doesn't even get it started. State tax payers aren't going to foot the bill on infrastructure upgrades needed to facilitate a stadium in that area, it's not cost effective. There are however several other sites that are being considered that lower the over all cost. West Seneca's site is a prime site for it's minimal impact financially on infrastructure upgrades for traffic flows while at the same time offering a more friendly experience for our Canadian fans via that traffic scenario.

There are of course the wind turbines in that area in Lackawana, which I've stated before, good look getting an insurance company to lay down the risk necessary, especially given the large crowds in attendance in a venue of this size. Ever seen a turbine collapse on itself? I have, the debris field is literally a 1/4 mile in diameter when one does go.

Nope, this site is just not feasible. Look at the wind studies done by 2 of the most prominent companies in the industry for the lake front. You want a financially viable stadium, you aren't going to want to add the costs on that end either, and yes, there is a large difference in wind a mere 5 miles off the lake.

Like I said, this project is someones pipe dream, and it surely isn't the tax payers that are having those types of dreams.

Steel did not put Buffalo on the map. Being at the end of the Great lakes did for commercial travel via the sea route. Steel was an industry here, but not even close to the main industry. That honor is reserved for the chemical industry. Specifically with the creation of the first electrical grid due to hydro-electric power.

Let's not re-write history here, this area's draw for it's growth was electricity to industry and nothing more.

The Lackawana site doesn't have a prayer to be considered, I don't know why people persist with this. It's not the best site in WNY available and actually has many inhibitors that make it an unfriendly site for a stadium. There are many factors to consider here, and 1.7 billion in funding doesn't even get it started. State tax payers aren't going to foot the bill on infrastructure upgrades needed to facilitate a stadium in that area, it's not cost effective. There are however several other sites that are being considered that lower the over all cost. West Seneca's site is a prime site for it's minimal impact financially on infrastructure upgrades for traffic flows while at the same time offering a more friendly experience for our Canadian fans via that traffic scenario.

There are of course the wind turbines in that area in Lackawana, which I've stated before, good look getting an insurance company to lay down the risk necessary, especially given the large crowds in attendance in a venue of this size. Ever seen a turbine collapse on itself? I have, the debris field is literally a 1/4 mile in diameter when one does go.

Nope, this site is just not feasible. Look at the wind studies done by 2 of the most prominent companies in the industry for the lake front. You want a financially viable stadium, you aren't going to want to add the costs on that end either, and yes, there is a large difference in wind a mere 5 miles off the lake.

Like I said, this project is someones pipe dream, and it surely isn't the tax payers that are having those types of dreams.

I would add that before before the advent of cheap hydro-electric power, Buffalo was the nation's largest grain milling and storage center as well as it's second largest rail center. Two huge factors in putting it on the map as it grew into one of the top 10 largest cities in the country.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

the idea is great, but the guys, "people choose money over a park" 100 years ago is way over the top. It's easy to armchair QB 100 + years later. Steel in the 1900's put Buffalo on the map, and provided tens of thousands of good jobs. Without it, Buffalo may have a nice park, but no people to enjoy it. Steel plants needed to be near the water. They were near the water here in Pittsburgh. However, fast forward to now, and it is a perfect idea to re-purpose the old plants into new waterfront attractions. This has been done along the rivers of Pittsburgh with great success, and should be done in Buffalo as well. Just as Buffalo adopted to the steel economey of the early 1900's, it can adopt to the financial, business econometric of today while retooling old steel plants into parks, houses, stadiums, etc..

Hopefully Chuckey Schumer, who loves the spotlight, will obtain federal cleanup funds to assist in the effort. They exist, he should get them. Save the Bills, make a nice waterfront location, clean up old steel mill. Win, win, win.

You're exactly right about everything here.

If it wasn't for the plant, and others like it, most of us wouldn't be on this board. I know my ancestors came here for the jobs.

Hey guys, maybe this was brought up before but why not use the stadium that's already downtown? Coca Cola Field is already there(meaning the bones are there). That place draws maybe 1500 fans on a good day. Why not convert that place into a football stadium? It's already downtown, there are places to park all over the area(within walking distance) and it's right off of the thruway. For all the money being thrown out there for a new stadium on the waterfront, we can use a structure that is already there and keep the rest of the waterfront for further development. This stadium redo can accommodate both the Bills and the Bison. Hopefully we have given up the thought of acquiring a MLB franchise and using the stadium for both will help the situation where that stadium gets 1500 fans for baseball games. By doing this, maybe Seneca One will find some tenants also. Hell I think the wing fest outdraws the Bison games. If this hasn't been brought up before, any thoughts on this idea?

Hey guys, maybe this was brought up before but why not use the stadium that's already downtown? Coca Cola Field is already there(meaning the bones are there). That place draws maybe 1500 fans on a good day. Why not convert that place into a football stadium? It's already downtown, there are places to park all over the area(within walking distance) and it's right off of the thruway. For all the money being thrown out there for a new stadium on the waterfront, we can use a structure that is already there and keep the rest of the waterfront for further development. This stadium redo can accommodate both the Bills and the Bison. Hopefully we have given up the thought of acquiring a MLB franchise and using the stadium for both will help the situation where that stadium gets 1500 fans for baseball games. By doing this, maybe Seneca One will find some tenants also. Hell I think the wing fest outdraws the Bison games. If this hasn't been brought up before, any thoughts on this idea?

Even if it was a big enough area to accommodate an NFL stadium, the league would never allow it. The days of building shared-use stadiums are over.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This would be an incredible spot for tailgating - a lot of room down there. It seems like a long shot, but the new owner would have to see some solid number on cleanup costs before ruling it out.

Steel plants needed to be near the water. They were near the water here in Pittsburgh. However, fast forward to now, and it is a perfect idea to re-purpose the old plants into new waterfront attractions. This has been done along the rivers of Pittsburgh with great success, and should be done in Buffalo as well. Just as Buffalo adopted to the steel economey of the early 1900's, it can

Agreed. But in hindsight the Lackawana plant was built too close to Buffalo. They should have zoned much better- example in Chicago- where they put the steel mills in Gary, Indiana!

The Lackawana site doesn't have a prayer to be considered, I don't know why people persist with this. It's not the best site in WNY available and actually has many inhibitors that make it an unfriendly site for a stadium. There are many factors to consider here,

Agreed completely. However, there is nothing wrong and everything right IMHO to piggy back off of the new stadium publicity to get people in gear over a project that is 25 years overdue and has been eligible for federal funding since 2003. Piggy back away and get it done while putting the stadium where it makes sense.

Agreed. But in hindsight the Lackawana plant was built too close to Buffalo. They should have zoned much better- example in Chicago- where they put the steel mills in Gary, Indiana!

Where did Pittsburgh hide them? I've never seen one there.