Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions, Update: Withdraws

http://www.latimes.c...0602-story.html

Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame member and former Miami Dolphins quarterback, last week sued the NFL over concussions, according to federal court records.

As the behind-the-scenes effort to gain approval for the proposed $765-million settlement of the concussion litigation continues, Marino and 14 other former players sued in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

At least 41 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, or their estates, are among about 5,000 former players suing.

Dan Marino to withdraw concussion lawsuit against NFL: http://www.sun-senti...,0,395274.story

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how he did this after he was no longer affiliated with the NFL/CBS.

I'm impartial to the whole concussion discussion (fun to say). Get paid millions for a while with the possibility of prolonged illness/symptoms or put that communications degree to good use.

Not saying I don't feel for the people, but they know what they are getting into.

Edited by The Wiz

Funny how he did this after he was no longer affiliated with the NFL/CBS.

I'm impartial to the whole concussion discussion (fun to say). Get paid millions for a while with the possibility of prolonged illness/symptoms or put that communications degree to good use.

Not saying I don't feel for the people, but they know what they are getting into.

So true. It just isn't right. To make the money on the front end and then after for suing how you made your money. You can't double dip!

To be fair he probably needs the money to pay off another another intern or assistant he knocked up.

Funny! But, probably true!

Edited by Manther

@EyeOnNFL

Dan Marino's lawsuit alleges that the NFL has known about 'the high incidence of concussions since the early 1970s.' http://cbsprt.co/1pBapk4

Really? That's unheard of...22 superior athletes on the field @ one time, smashing the sh*t out of each other, wearing fairly light pads. I can't believe they could possibly end up with any type of head injury.

These lawsuits are rediculous. If you're not smart enough to realize the inherant risk of injury that comes with a violent contact sport...I mean, c'mon mannn, it's not like they have to sucker these guys into playing the game.

fans should start a class action lawsuit for concussions against the NFL & Buffalo Bills.

for involuntarily banging our heads against a wall.

as a lead plaintiff, I would donate all monies received towards gameday parties at Hammer's Lot until the settlement money runs out, in about 20 years.

No alleged damage? WTF? Smacks of a greed play.

Marino and his ilk will slowly kill this game. Litigation always wins in the end. There will be a time when threats of never-ending lawsuits will force the NFL to make radical changes to the violence of the game we love. When that happens, it's virtual flag football.

I think the analogy I've seen is apropos: A solider suing the federal government for getting shot. What makes it worse is that Marino is a millionaire and the soldier/marine makes $20K a year if that.

Did everyone previously believe concussions were good for long term health before?

I mean come on. Take responsibility for yourselves.

Of course if you play arguably the most violent team sport in the country for 1 or 2 decades, your body will suffer long term damage.

I guess this was some kind of NFL secret in the 70s and 80s?

I wonder if they knew of all the knee, shoulder and hip stress the game imposes and how it may lead to arthritis later in life? I bet they are just covering it up so no one knows.