The New stadium must be a dome

I don't want to hear any crap about tradition in Buffalo or the weather is our advantage BS. It hasn't been an advantage since Kelly retired. Hell Even Ralph Wilson went to the league and asked December games be mostly away because of attendance.

So lets cut the crap and get into the 20 teens here and get with the times. New stadium needs to be a DOME. Then we can start getting games in December(you know...playoff run time?) back at our house. We can fill the thing regardless of weather, it will be an attraction to the rest of the NFL fan base AND... Wait for it.... We might even get to host a Superbowl. *GASP*. Why did Minnesota get the superbowl a couple days ago? Because the NFL awards cities with new stadiums that's why.

Bottom line, screw the cold and build a damn dome already. BTW I am betting some potential FA's worth a damn might actually prefer playing in Buffalo if we had a domed stadium. Just sayin...

Edited by Kellyto83TD

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I agree with your sentiment. I too believe the times have passed us by about being a home field advantage as far as outdoor cold weather....home field these days is about crowd noise and crowd noise control, not to mention sleeping in your bed and being at home in their own facility, with family, etc....and to the larger point about what a dome would mean, I also agree that a dome would provide for a far better fan experience and also, let's be honest, we're doing our best to bridge the generation gap for BILLS fans, and younger BILLS fans just have a different perspective on what a game experience *should* be, and therefore, there's a better chance of getting a 10 year old to a game in November and December when it's not freeze your b*lls off cold not to mention, it's more enjoyable overall in those two months...but even in late October, if the wind is right, woof!!! Cold, just isn't the word...

can I say this to the OP ?

I don't want to hear any crap about a dome in Buffalo.

A dome will not guarantee a sell out late December games

A dome will not guarantee a SB in Buffalo (if that's what you are truly after).

Can they design a dome to withstand the Buffalo snowfall? 3, 4, 5 feet, or even the ice melt like the near disaster in Dallas a few years back.

I'm totally down with a retractable roof, which is of course much more expensive than a dome. But if it has to be a dome to save money, fine by me.

Buffalo will likely never get a Super Bowl.

Im down with open-air. Works in Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Would love grass surface. I feel that those places add a lot more character and excitement than the indoor joints.

If its roof or retractable, whatever, cant control it.

Im down with open-air. Works in Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Would love grass surface. I feel that those places add a lot more character and excitement than the indoor joints.

If its roof or retractable, whatever, cant control it.

i hear ya.. love watching games in the elements, whether in person or on T V.. the networks love the snowglobe..

Retractable Dome is the answer.

This.

It should be a dome so it can be used for other events throughout the year. A retractable one would be great, but cost will be a factor there.

This makes sense. It should be a facility that can be used for football as well as all kinds of other events.

I agree that any new stadium built should have a dome. I would also hope that it would maximize natural light like Lucas Oil Stadium and some of the other new stadiums do by having glass above the seating in the endzones. If it had a transparent roof like this place:

http://www.bing.com/...selectedIndex=0

that would be awesome too.

Edited by need therapy

Hate to be negative-- BUT! I was on the "Responsible Dome Action Committee" back in the late 60's. Had more than enough signatures to build. Free land and near the airport. Politics screwed that up. Dems against-- Republicans for and the mayor voted it down. Yup he was a Dem. It all will come down to politics. What a shame.

The home field advantage argument is NOT CRAP, it is a DECISIVE advantage and when we had a good team we were able to capitalize on it. However, 26Corner had an excellent idea about a retractable dome, which I think would kill two birds with one stone. We could attract a super bowl perhaps because we could overcome the crappy weather, and leave it open at our leisure (like when a dome team comes to town, or close it if our qb gets hurt and we need favorable conditions for our backup.) I say take all the land the Ralph is on and make it into hotels, of which the lack thereof is a huge detractor to ever holding a super bowl here. Then devise a public transit infrastructure setup to the new retractable dome AND downtown (First Niagara Center). We have that setup already downtown, it is very convenient for out of towners to get to Sabres games from the hotel. That would make us 150% more attractive to both the league, AND free agents who would appreciate the big investment. Now, while we are all debating this stuff, can we PLEASE HAVE A WINNING SEASON?