The New stadium must be a dome

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A new facility must be used for more than football to justify the enormous costs involved. In order to maximize usage, it has to be a domed stadium....IMO the retractable dome gives the most flexibility for the preferred outdoor football experience while allowing for events whenever there is inclement weather.

This is spot on.

Is this a serious question? Because if you take a look outside there is a hockey arena that does just fine in that 3-5 feet of snow.

Well, HSBC has a rigid roof. If he is thinking about inflatable domes, the one here in Syracuse hasn't had too many problems handling snow loads. They have had to shovel it off a few times though...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/manager_of_syracuses_carrier_d.html

I don't want to hear any crap about tradition in Buffalo or the weather is our advantage BS. It hasn't been an advantage since Kelly retired. Hell Even Ralph Wilson went to the league and asked December games be mostly away because of attendance.

So lets cut the crap and get into the 20 teens here and get with the times. New stadium needs to be a DOME. Then we can start getting games in December(you know...playoff run time?) back at our house. We can fill the thing regardless of weather, it will be an attraction to the rest of the NFL fan base AND... Wait for it.... We might even get to host a Superbowl. *GASP*. Why did Minnesota get the superbowl a couple days ago? Because the NFL awards cities with new stadiums that's why.

Bottom line, screw the cold and build a damn dome already. BTW I am betting some potential FA's worth a damn might actually prefer playing in Buffalo if we had a domed stadium. Just sayin...

Interesting viewpoint when two NFL teams in the North that have long played in domes (Seattle & Minnesota) have switched (C-Hawks) or are about to switch (Vikes) to open air stadiums.

Pros of the dome:

Overall better fan experience

Will be able to host other events from October-April

Possible Super Bowl/ NCAA March Madness hosting

Will probably give the stadium a longer period of adequacy than an outdoor stadium (i.e. no weathering)

No ridiculous winds off the lake (assuming it's downtown/near the waterfront).

Cons of the dome:

Snow games.

Sooooooo from a business perspective...

I don't want to hear any crap about tradition in Buffalo or the weather is our advantage BS. It hasn't been an advantage since Kelly retired. Hell Even Ralph Wilson went to the league and asked December games be mostly away because of attendance.

So lets cut the crap and get into the 20 teens here and get with the times. New stadium needs to be a DOME. Then we can start getting games in December(you know...playoff run time?) back at our house. We can fill the thing regardless of weather, it will be an attraction to the rest of the NFL fan base AND... Wait for it.... We might even get to host a Superbowl. *GASP*. Why did Minnesota get the superbowl a couple days ago? Because the NFL awards cities with new stadiums that's why.

Bottom line, screw the cold and build a damn dome already. BTW I am betting some potential FA's worth a damn might actually prefer playing in Buffalo if we had a domed stadium. Just sayin...

Sorry dude, I am still old school and want to see footbal played in the mud and snow. If you want indoors the NHL and NBA are there.

Does the Carrier Dome ring a bell?

Can they design a dome to withstand the Buffalo snowfall? 3, 4, 5 feet, or even the ice melt like the near disaster in Dallas a few years back.

Edited by The Poojer

Screw a dome. Retractable roof adds 300-500 million to the cost....then you leave it open in December? Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Green Bay, Chicago- NO dome. Never hear anyone B word about the cold there and how they should have put a roof on their new stadiums. Would kill any home field we might have if they are ever good again.

Retractable Dome is the answer.

+1

I'd venture to say that the stadium design decision will be as much or more about dollars than about football. A multiuse facility will probably be pushed by NYS since that's where most of the dollars will come from.

+1

Im down with open-air. Works in Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Would love grass surface. I feel that those places add a lot more character and excitement than the indoor joints.

If its roof or retractable, whatever, cant control it.

Actually, the retractable roof in Arizona (Diamondbacks baseball Park) has a retractable dome, and real grass!!!!

The don't sell out in December because

1.Folks have spent all their extra money on Christmas gifts.

2.The average income in Buffalo in like under 30K which doesn't leave much extra spending cash.

3. The population of WNY has declined.

4. Plus in the last 15 year's the Bills haven't been competitive and we're out of the playoff hunt in early Dec.

5. Even when we were competitive in the Kelly years, we didn't always sellout. The Comeback game wasn't a sellout, it wasn't on TV, and that was a playoff game.

6. Some people don't want to freeze their ass off at an outdoor game for 5 hours.

Edited by oman128

A Retractable Roof facility is what we need, in the Downtown, that can utilize existing infrastructure, Metrorail, bus, Amtrak, hotels etc. Imagine no parking hassles, because the metro drops off right in the new Stadium.

This project will likely involve the removal of some buildings, or houses, adding or rerouting a road, making existing parking lots two stories instead of 1 to handle extra cars.

Having this kind of facility will allow for the possibility of getting other large events like

1. NCAA Bowl games and playoffs.

2. NCAA Basketball Final Four.

3. NCAA Wrestling Championship

4. Democratic National Convention

5. Super Bowl if they keep buildings hotels in the Buffalo Area.

6. The NFL Combine.

7. Neutral site games for NCAA football teams.

If they make it a first class venue, then, you'll attract first class events, even with the cold weather.

Edited by oman128

they won't have the super bowl in buffalo because of canada and the 'difficulty' involved in getting in and out of the u.s. canada would be necessary for the hotel rooms but logistics would never work, can you imagine people missing the game because of traffic getting across one of the bridges? Buffalo needs the lodgings that Niagara Falls Canada can provide and it would never work!

Here, here! And I'll add one thing...Don't waste money on a retractable dome! $300MM for a roof you open maybe twice a season? No thank you. The cold weather advantage is a myth.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

they won't have the super bowl in buffalo because of canada and the 'difficulty' involved in getting in and out of the u.s. canada would be necessary for the hotel rooms but logistics would never work, can you imagine people missing the game because of traffic getting across one of the bridges? Buffalo needs the lodgings that Niagara Falls Canada can provide and it would never work!

Leave early, the Game isn't until 6 pm, problem solved.

Edited by oman128

can I say this to the OP ?

I don't want to hear any crap about a dome in Buffalo.

A dome will not guarantee a sell out late December games

A dome will not guarantee a SB in Buffalo (if that's what you are truly after).

Can they design a dome to withstand the Buffalo snowfall? 3, 4, 5 feet, or even the ice melt like the near disaster in Dallas a few years back.

YEAH WE get worse weather than places like minneapolis or detroit

,new stadiums get SB consideration ,not automatic but consideration ,i guess you have your opinion but try backing it with facts

Edited by tombstone56