Jerry Jones talks stadium & other stuff, likes Bon Jovi

From a gross revenue perspective, sure, the Bills could be worth more else where...in theory. I don't see that being the reality however. In any market, a new product's profitability requires knowledge of all of your opportunity costs, customer acquisition being a big one. Moving the team out of NY will be wildly expensive in that regard when coupled with the cost of a new stadium in an area that may not be as tax friendly in the long term. It would be interesting to learn what the tax ramifications on player salaries would be if 8 games were played in Canada. I certainly don't know anything about that aspect. That's just my 2 cents. Jerry Jones is not someone I would ever take seriously unless the conversation was about making money outside of the NFL. If the team were to leave the state, I would likely follow another team and root against the new incarnation for all it is worth.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Espn Insider is reporting that Mr Jones comments were edited and here was the true interview...

Mr. Jones, what do you think of Bon Jovi as a NFL owner?

--- I met Jon at a truck stop gloryhole back in 88 and we had a connection from the start. Would he make a good NFL owner? U Bet Ya! The guy has a mouth like a hoover and would have no problem with sucking fans pockets dry!

Very well put.

Any time it needs to be said, I'll be there. :D

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 2h

Two NFL owners tell me regardless of whether the Bills can be moved from WNY, they fully anticipate Jon Bon Jovi group to bid on the team.

Whoopty do. The team has to want to sell to him, he probably needs to have the max bid, and whatever stipulations Ralph had placed in the trust have to be considered. If Ralph was hoping for a new owner whose major claim to fame is that he has miraculously not OD'd on hairspray, then I imagine JBJ has the inside track. If the team is to be sold to an owner who isn't plotting to relocate, then I imagine he does not.

The thing that does bother me is that Ralph was very much involved in the Bills in Toronto series, so it's not as though it was his case all along that the Bills belonged in and to Buffalo alone.

Such a +$@

Need to find a way to punish him where it hurts most: pocketbook.

How about bills fans refuse to tune into any nationally televised game with Dallas (unless its against bills)?

I'm so sick of all the prime time and holidays slots they get anyway (and all the non-drama around romo), I've pretty much been doing this anyway.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

F--- Bon Jovi.

:thumbsup: , and Jerry can take a flying fornication at a rolling doughnut.

All we Buffalo fans can do is hope someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo steps up with the highest bid.

I can't imagine the Buffalo Bills keeping that name if they move to Toronto. JBJ stated his favorite NFL play ever was "wide right". ...the :censored: !

Eff Jerry Jones and his plastic face. It's so hilarious how delusional he is. Congrats Jerry. Without Jimmy Johnson, you've been a slightly better team than the Bills. Stop acting like you have some elite franchise when you are closer to the Jags.

And I won't do this if he was coming after my beloved Bills, but Jerry must have forgot this story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/jon-bon-jovi-on-daughters-overdose_n_2927278.html Maybe Bon Jovi should stop worrying about stealing a team from a great fanbase and worry more about his own family.

I dont see anywhere that Sullivan isnt 100% on point there

You don't?

Because there are about 100 examples in that article alone where he is off point. As usual he draws poor conclusions from distorted facts that are anything but on point. Here is the one I found the most fun:

“I don’t know of anyone that I have more respect for as a father or as a husband or, certainly, as a potential business partner,” Jones said. “He’s an outstanding candidate to be an owner in the NFL.”

That was a bit odd, hearing Jones testify for Bon Jovi as a husband and father. I wasn’t aware they were that close. But it’s no more bizarre than a Bills fan group known as “12th Man Thunder” calling for local businesses to boycott Bon Jovi’s music.

Jones, who probably knows hundreds of people if not thousands, points out Bon Jersey as the best father and husband in the whole group. How does he know the inner workings of BJ's marriage or his interactions with his kids?

Sullivan calls that statement a bit odd. I'd agree and might even go as far as "creepy".

There are some Bills fans who want to speak up for their team by boycotting BJ's "music". It is a small thing, designed to get some attention and will probably not go very far by itself but so friggin what? Sullivan calls that bizarre. Why is it bizarre?

What word connotes something further from the ordinary: "odd" or "bizarre"? Of course it is the word bizarre. So Sullivan calls some guys going around to a few bars with posters in what they consider an effort to help a team they have probably loved for decades as further out of the ordinary than a multi-billionaire discussing the epic marriage and fatherhood skills of a rock star and using that as an example of why the guy is qualified to own an NFL team? And doing that in public? Okay, if you say so.

Sullivan is not completely wrong. When he says:

At least Jones is open about his desire to squeeze every dime out of the enterprise. A lot of the NFL owners spout platitudes about the Bills, and how charming and vital the franchise is to the league. I suspect many of them agree privately with Jones.

Outside of his misplaced cynicism displayed by the use of the word charming, he is probably correct. I wouldn't trust Robert Kraft to hold true to the kind words he spoke about Ralph and about Buffalo after Ralph passed. I hope he remains truthful, but will believe it when I see it.

There were so many things Jones said in his diatribe that Sullivan could have focused on. How he called Ralph a pioneer and essentially a founder of the NFL and quickly went on to state that fans care mostly about stadium amenities. What a load of crap that is. Sully left it out because there was no way to spin it in an anti-Bills manner and Sully is a one trick pony.

Maybe a new stadium is important. What percentage of Bills fans do you think TRULY care about that? Jones wants to extract money from the Golden Goose until the Goose is dead. Ralph helped build a structure where the goose could live and continuously lay golden eggs year after year after year. Those are two different business models. Sully buys into Jones' not because he understands it or because it is right, but because it bodes ill for the Bills. If the roles were reversed between Ralph and Jones, Sully would certainly agree with Jones. It isn't a big deal; it is Sully's job to be a contrarian. He is just not good at it so it becomes very see through.

"It’s like calling for a boycott of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, or Alanis Morissette."

Uh, no, Sully - BTO and Alanis are not trying to move the Bills.

I agree - that one jumped off the page at me. Calling Bon Jovi the greatest father ever is beyond bizarre, even if his daughter didn't OD from heroin a few years ago.

"It’s like calling for a boycott of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, or Alanis Morissette."

Uh, no, Sully - BTO and Alanis are not trying to move the Bills.

I agree - that one jumped off the page at me. Calling Bon Jovi the greatest father ever is beyond bizarre, even if his daughter didn't OD from heroin a few years ago.

Jones is badly trying to act cool. Bon Jovi is a new hip band for him.

The funny thing about Sully, he has shown that he is capable of writing a good column without snark. He wrote one after the Olympics. He also wrote one about that girl that tragically died in the balloon accident.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the Bills or Sabres, not so much. He, Gleason, and Harrington are always trying to push their narrative with snark filled articles/columns.

I dont know. The whole point of the column wasnt to agree with Jerry jones. It was just to say do not laugh at him as he is a prominent figure in the NFL, and Buffalo should not let down its guard. He is correct.

There are 32 prominent figures on the NFL. Is Jones more persuasive than others? Perhaps. But there is a stubborn old guard faction that doesn't kiss the ground he walks on. And it only takes 9 of those other owners to nix any prospective owner with intentions of moving the team.

And 3/4 of the voting trust needs to approve of a buyer even BEFORE the NFL gets to vote yes or no. I seriously doubt his boy Bon Bon Voyage passes muster with 3/4 of the voting block in RW's trust.

The new stadium is key and it will get built, naming rights will be sold, luxury suites will be sold, and the Jones' of the league won't have to decry the non-shared revenue potential of a small market franchise dragging him down.

GO BILLS!!!

I dont know. The whole point of the column wasnt to agree with Jerry jones. It was just to say do not laugh at him as he is a prominent figure in the NFL, and Buffalo should not let down its guard. He is correct.

You left out the part where he mocked Bills fans for no reason whatsoever, cherry picked out some of Jones' stupidest comments and ran down the Bills organization just for the sport of it.