Jerry Jones talks stadium & other stuff, likes Bon Jovi

They have access to that information but at this point in the process haven't spent much time on it. His philosophy (and all owners) is self serving. What will Buffalo contribute to the league with a new stadium? What would Toronto contribute with a new stadium? What is the delta? Is that delta worth the risk of the ill will created amongst fans, threat of pulling the antitrust exemption, unknown of the Toronto market and the strength of owners looking to keep the team vs. the Toronto group? These are the factors that will be weighed in terms of whom each owner would want. At the end of the day though it is completely out of their hands. The only say that they have is to declare the owner selected by the 4 person panel as a worth candidate for NFL ownership. The people with the real information at this point are the candidates doing their due diligence. They are reviewing the lease, concession agreements, renewal rates, sponsorship deals on the table, current sponsorships, business plans, revenue projections, ticket sales, staff costs, tax breaks, etc...

If you can make that statement as fact you clearly know far more than I do.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you had a chance to listen to WGR this morning but they had a "stadium analyst" on and the guy basically rattle off most of the things you are referring to. Also said if the stadium committee did their due diligence the team has no right to be in Buffalo and should be in Toronto regardless of the owner. Then I stopped listening because he was comparing the team now being worth ~1 billion and could be worth almost 1.5 in Toronto.

This guy: http://www.wgr550.com/Sports-Economist-is-not-optimistic-about-the-Bills/19045887

I didn't hear it but I worked on the sale of an NBA team twice. It was a pretty wild (and grueling experience). The whole thing boiled down to 2 things really: long term lease & raise the revenues. The Bills situation is a little different but not entirely. The thing that isn't being factored in on the national level enough are the provisions in the lease and non relocation agreement (think that's what it's called). The Bills and NY have stacked the deck against the out of towners. It doesn't mean that it is impossible but it isn't a fair fight either.

I didn't hear it but I worked on the sale of an NBA team twice. It was a pretty wild (and grueling experience). The whole thing boiled down to 2 things really: long term lease & raise the revenues. The Bills situation is a little different but not entirely. The thing that isn't being factored in on the national level enough are the provisions in the lease and non relocation agreement (think that's what it's called). The Bills and NY have stacked the deck against the out of towners. It doesn't mean that it is impossible but it isn't a fair fight either.

Agreed. They seemingly have done all they legally can to try and keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Respectfully disagree. Jones is one of the 32 owners of a multibillion dollar enterprise. All 32 of them know far more, and have people in their employ who also know far more, than any of us could ever hope to from reading websites, blogs, fan boards, links to lease documents, and journalist musings. It's just the nature of business.

Thankfully not all of the rest of the owners are duplicitous pieces of crap like Jones, Kraft and McNair. In the original quote Jones talks about how stadium amenities are what drives fan interest. Is that for real? He could not be farther off the mark. The corporate crowd that drives the "need" for stadium amenities are a part of the equation nowadays but the foundation of that is real fans passion for the sport. The corporate crowd is drawn to that passion as much as they are the sushi bar. There are plenty of good sushi bars that are not located in Jones palace of self love. Erase the passion and it will take a while but the entire sport will be erased. I think there are enough Maras and Rooneys and Hunts left to offset the Jones' and Bon Jerseys of the world.

Mark Cuban's comments about 6 weeks ago were pretty much dead on the mark. He doesn't own a team but he "gets it" far more than Jones ever will. There are enough guys left in the NFL that get it. At least I think so.

@MattSabuda

Per report, #Bills generate more revenue than big markets SF & ATL. Also more than new stadium markets DET, CIN, AZ. #BuffaloBelongsNFL

@WGRZ

WNY native & #Packers CEO Mark Murphy: "I think the #Buffalo market is really important for the league." #Bills #NFL pic.twitter.com/Pz1DJXvnXv

On the revenue comment, it would be nice, real nice if he cited a source.

One detail that some may be overlooking is that Ralph set up both his wife and niece as half of the four-person trust. I highly doubt that Ralph would risk putting his closest family in the crosshairs of Buffalo fans, therefore it says to me that the trust is empowered to find the best local owner for the team. A local owner acceptable to Ralph's trust + a new stadium commitment should = Bills in Buffalo for the next generation.

Those are two of things he kept saying as well. Raising the revenues is an interesting thing because he talked about how in the Toronto market you have a better chance of selling advertising and luxury boxes and then dismissed the idea of a new stadium in buffalo as a "novelty" period. I get that you would raise revenue with advertising and luxury boxes but moving the team to toronto in the first place would have a "novelty" period and if the team didn't improve it would end up being similar to the Jags stadium after 5 weeks into the season (more empty seat than filled). I also wonder what the impact would be on TV rights since it would be outside of the US.

Out of respect for Jerry Jones , once a New Bills Stadium is built in WNY, the inaugural event at the stadium should be a Jon Bovi Concert.

Bad idea. The stadium would not be anywhere near a sellout. How bout instead we bring in the Cowboys for the first game there and humiliate them 43-10

On the revenue comment, it would be nice, real nice if he cited a source.

One detail that some may be overlooking is that Ralph set up both his wife and niece as half of the four-person trust. I highly doubt that Ralph would risk putting his closest family in the crosshairs of Buffalo fans, therefore it says to me that the trust is empowered to find the best local owner for the team. A local owner acceptable to Ralph's trust + a new stadium commitment should = Bills in Buffalo for the next generation.

I think he is referring per capita. Bills are 29th-30th in revenue annually according to forbes but they also pull in the 3rd most money per fan.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/playbook/2012/09/what-forbes-doesnt-tell-you-about-the.html?page=all

FWIW, Ian Rapoport just gave an update from the Owners meetings and said that the Bills sale, relocation, etc. has not been discussed. He said he caught up with Russ who said the first step is finding the right owner - we might know who that is in January, it might take two years (Ian was quoting Russ).

Sounds like we'll know, when we know...

I also wonder what the impact would be on TV rights since it would be outside of the US.

The TV revenue is an interesting question to me. If a team were to go to Canada and the NFL to sign a new TV deal there would the revenues be divided by 32? If I were Toronto I would probably have an issue with that in that the new revenue is directly related to me.

The other part about the novelty period they would probably lock people in on long term suite deals, etc... 10 year deals would be my guess.

The TV revenue is an interesting question to me. If a team were to go to Canada and the NFL to sign a new TV deal there would the revenues be divided by 32? If I were Toronto I would probably have an issue with that in that the new revenue is directly related to me.

Some games are already shown in Canada, and the Sunday ticket is already there as well. So it might not be that big of a deal in terms of sharing.

I think he is referring per capita. Bills are 29th-30th in revenue annually according to forbes but they also pull in the 3rd most money per fan.

http://www.bizjourna...e.html?page=all

Forbes' overall ranking is by Operating Income, but for Gross Revenue, the Bills ahead of Oakland, Minnesota, St Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, San Diego, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Arizona, and San Francisco.

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:5_direction:asc_search:

Some games are already shown in Canada, and the Sunday ticket is already there as well. So it might not be that big of a deal in terms of sharing.

If Canada gets a team they will be renegotiating that deal for sure. They will have the same schedule (if they don't already) as the US. They will be selling the Thursday Night, Sunday night, Monday Night, Sundays, etc...

If Canada gets a team they will be renegotiating that deal for sure. They will have the same schedule (if they don't already) as the US. They will be selling the Thursday Night, Sunday night, Monday Night, Sundays, etc...

They already have NFL Network and RedZone as well. But no ESPN. But you are right, with the addition of a team in Canada the NFL would be looking to add missing games and renegotiate the existing deals.

They already have NFL Network and RedZone as well. But no ESPN. But you are right, with the addition of a team in Canada the NFL would be looking to add missing games and renegotiate the existing deals.

I remember reading somewhere before that currently the Canadian TV market does not factor into the current US TV market/viewing polls/ratings/etc for the NFL. so it would only make sense to have it changed.

I would be curious to see the TV ratings in Canada (Toronto area) for Bills games.

Edited by The Wiz