Jerry Jones talks stadium & other stuff, likes Bon Jovi

I remember reading somewhere before that currently the Canadian TV market does not factor into the current US TV market/viewing polls/ratings/etc for the NFL. so it would only make sense to have it changed.

I would be curious to see the TV ratings in Canada (Toronto area) for Bills games.

Good question. The league does not consider Southern Ontario as Bills territory for any metrics or market size statistics because it is outside the US even though much of the province falls within the league's official market radius limits. If the league counted current Canadian Bills fans and their fellow Canadian citizens in their numbers the market size would be significantly higher and the 'small' market Bills would be seen as playing to a much larger TV audience. The only other team that might be impacted by this would be Detroit but the Windor market is obviously much smaller than Toronto and probably a fraction of the impact the Bills have with Ontario.

The upside of this for Bills fans is that by not counting Southern Ontario moving the Bills is technically categorized as a relocation. If Southern Ontario was counted as Bills territory then the move would not be a relocation but rather a move to a new facility within the territory. So maybe we're better not counting it?

I'm not at all familar with Canadian broadcasting. Are NFL games available on Canadian networks, like CBC, or just off the air signals from CBS and FOX stations in Buffalo? Do Canadian cable providers as a matter of practice carry US network stations?

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance Judy could elaborate on if they "have to be prepared to stay there" after the lease expires?

Any new owner would also mean a new stadium which would have a 30 year lease - all bets off if no new stadium but any new stadium would come with 30yr lease to stay

In case this has not been posted, here is a copy of the lease:

http://www2.erie.gov...n Agreement.pdf

I tried to cut and paste certain sections, but I am having a problem with the formatting and other issues. In any event, you will get the idea.

Here is the language of Section 3(b), which I believe makes it very difficult for Jon Bon Douchebag to buy the team from the Wilson estate at this time:

Subject to the provisions of Section 2(b), during the Non-Relocation Term, without the prior written consent of the County and the ECSC, which consent shall be within the sole and absolute discretion of each of the County and the ECSC, the Bills shall not: (i) apply to the NFL for, or otherwise seek, approval to allow the Team to play any Games during the Non-Relocation Term anywhere other than the Stadium; (ii) relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team (or attempt to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team except as permitted by clause (iv) of this paragraph) to a location other than the Stadium; (iii) sell, assign or otherwise transfer the Team to any Person who, to the Bills’ knowledge, has an intention to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team during the Non- Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium; (iv) (A) entertain any offer or proposal to relocate the Team to a location other than the Stadium, (B) solicit an offer or proposal from any Person to enter into discussions regarding moving the Team to a location other than the Stadium, (C ) enter into negotiations or agreements with third parties concerning the relocation of the Team to a location other than the Stadium, or (D) otherwise attempt to cause the playing of Games at a location other than the Stadium except in the case of clause (A), (B), (C ) and/or (D) above, (x) during the pendency of an arbitration proceeding in which the Bills are seeking to terminate the Stadium Lease in accordance with its terms or (y) to the extent that the relocation or other action described in such clause would first take effect after the Non-Relocation Term; (v) (A) complete a transfer, assignment or surrender of the Franchise that results in the Team playing any of its Games outside of the Stadium in violation of Section 2(a), or (B) complete a transfer, assignment or surrender of the Franchise that results in the Team not playing any Games; or (vi) enter into any contract or agreement to sell, assign or otherwise transfer the Team to any Person who, to the Bills’ knowledge, intends to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team during the Non-Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium.

The "Non-Relocation Term" is defined in Section 1(r ) as:

Non-Relocation Term: The term of this Agreement, beginning on July 31, 2013,

and ending on the Stadium Lease Expiration Date.

The Stadium Lease Expiration Date is defined in Section 1(y) as:

Stadium Lease Expiration Date: July 31, 2023, or such earlier date provided for

in the 2013 Stadium Lease upon which the Stadium Lease Term shall expire.

Edited by Peter

I didn't hear it but I worked on the sale of an NBA team twice. It was a pretty wild (and grueling experience). The whole thing boiled down to 2 things really: long term lease & raise the revenues. The Bills situation is a little different but not entirely. The thing that isn't being factored in on the national level enough are the provisions in the lease and non relocation agreement (think that's what it's called). The Bills and NY have stacked the deck against the out of towners. It doesn't mean that it is impossible but it isn't a fair fight either.

Yes, the Bills are worth more in a bigger city. But so would the Chiefs, Saints, Vikings, Bengals, Browns, etc, every team in a city that isn't NY, Chicago or L.A. If Jerruh wants the pie bigger then how about moving every NFL franchise to the top 10 markets? I'm sure Jerruh won't mind 3 more teams in Dallas. After all, it makes the pie bigger.

PTR

Yes, the Bills are worth more in a bigger city. But so would the Chiefs, Saints, Vikings, Bengals, Browns, etc, every team in a city that isn't NY, Chicago or L.A. If Jerruh wants the pie bigger then how about moving every NFL franchise to the top 10 markets? I'm sure Jerruh won't mind 3 more teams in Dallas. After all, it makes the pie bigger.

PTR

Would definitely make the fan rivalries interesting.

FWIW, there was a guy on John Murphy's show a week or two ago who runs a site that rates all of the sports facilities in the world. I believe that they ranked Lucas Oil Stadium number one for football.

Any new owner would also mean a new stadium which would have a 30 year lease - all bets off if no new stadium but any new stadium would come with 30yr lease to stay

Well that part is clear. Everyone has said that a new stadium needs to happen for the Bills to stay. It's just a matter of time at this point. The groups are forming and bids will be coming in in a few days/weeks.

So much wrong with the stuff this *&^%* is saying with regards to fan respect as well as respect towards Ralph:

"Jones sounded intrigued with Toronto"

"I don't know of anyone that I have more respect for as a father or as a husband or, certainly, as a potential business partner," Jones said of Bon Jovi, who also is close with New England Patriots* owner Robert Kraft.

Then again if I dial it down to politics he is basicly threatning WNY that if there will be no new stadium they'll be doomed with regards to his vote for an owner that wants to keep the team where it's at.

That said Jones was also the most vocal owner against NFL Europe/WLAF, he always voted against it untill he finally managed to sway Goodell and the owners after the (then first year) NFL Europe President did the one thing that he needed him to do in order to swing the vote. Did I mention I hate both Jones and Goodell? :censored::thumbdown:

I think this says more about who Jerruh knows than anything else. Edited by UpperDeck