No QB

mannc

Bad analogy. Sammy is miles ahead of Stevie athletically.

Athletic skill aside (because it means very little right now), Sammy hasn't caught an NFL pass in his life. While I sure hope it doesn't happen and it's probably not likely, he very well could end up being a bust. Stevie is not a bust. While not elite, he's money in the bank.

As for EJ, he's negative money in the bank right now considering the 1st round pick we used, plus the 1st next year which we won't be able to use on a QB.

Edited by kas23

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athletic skill aside (because it means very little right now), Sammy hasn't caught an NFL pass in his life. While I sure hope it doesn't happen and it's probably not likely, he very well could end up being a bust. Stevie is not a bust. While not elite, he's money in the bank.

As for EJ, he's negative money in the bank right now considering the 1st round pick we used, plus the 1st next year which we won't be able to use on a QB.

Actually, EJ comes from one first pick that turned into both him and Kiko Alonso, so I don't know how he could possibly be characterized as "negative money in the bank."

Nobody cares to bring this up.

Can you please tell me

1.) Who that QB is in next year's draft.

2.) Where in the first round will our forfeited pick be exactly?

3.) How do you know the QB named in #1 above will be available at that pick?

Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

Can you please tell me

1.) Who that QB is in next year's draft.

2.) Where in the first round will our forfeited pick be exactly?

3.) How do you know the QB named in #1 above will be available at that pick?

Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

What's the point? The Bills have hitched their wagon to EJ for this season and (most likely) next. Let's hope that he performs up to expectations.

I guess in your dream world our 5th round rookie would step in and take us to 4-2? A veteran signing makes more sense if that is what you want.....

Where exactly did I call for a 5th Rd rookie? A veteran signing sounds perfect, thanks for making my point.

Going with the 5th round rookie assumption, if the kid had upside and he was backing up EJ....let's see what he could do! It keeps something called hope alive...(hey this kid could be the future) which our 2 current backups would not do....we saw everything they have last year....and there is no upside.

My "dream world" as you put it was pretty much all of our nightmare in 2013....and our FO just doubled down on the exact same 3 guys.

Vick, Schaub, Sanchez...say what you want about them...they have all led teams to the playoffs and all appear to be ready for backup roles. If we had any one of those 3 behind EJ, nobody would be discussing the QB position with concern the way we are now.

Where exactly did I call for a 5th Rd rookie? A veteran signing sounds perfect, thanks for making my point.

Going with the 5th round rookie assumption, if the kid had upside and he was backing up EJ....let's see what he could do! It keeps something called hope alive...(hey this kid could be the future) which our 2 current backups would not do....we saw everything they have last year....and there is no upside.

My "dream world" as you put it was pretty much all of our nightmare in 2013....and our FO just doubled down on the exact same 3 guys.

Vick, Schaub, Sanchez...say what you want about them...they have all led teams to the playoffs and all appear to be ready for backup roles. If we had any one of those 3 behind EJ, nobody would be discussing the QB position with concern the way we are now.

I believe the discussion was about drafting a 5th round rookie to back up EJ.

I would have been fine with a veteran signing, however your rant says it all. The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

Just watch what happens to the Jets this year, and it will prove my point.

Edited by What a Tuel

I believe the discussion was about drafting a 5th round rookie to back up EJ.

I would have been fine with a veteran signing, however your rant says it all. The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

Just watch what happens to the Jets this year, and it will prove my point.

I actually think it's highly likely that Vick is toast and that Tajh is the #2. Maybe I'm too high on the kid, but that's my gut feeling.

The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

There are many different points-of-views on here, but I don't think anyone here is ignorant enough to mistake Vick for a playoff calibre QB

I can't believe I read this whole thread...

A late round rookie would take away from the staff developing EJ, which is what they are focusing on or they would invest very little time with the rookie which would result in someone who would not help us much this year.

I don't even want to get started on the fact that developing a late round QB is a waste of time (aside from Montana and Brady...who else? my point exactly). You are better of taking a flier on a other positions where players more frequently develop...

If you want a backup, don't waste a pick these players become FAs all the time and can be picked up every year. Let another team waste their picks developing a backup.

For those arguing to replace a third stringer - honestly if you get down that far in your QBs you are screwed anyways....

Dixon & Lewis will be fine for us this year while we spend our efforts developing our 1st rounder from last year....

Is that OT against the Steelers money, key 3rd down vs. *Patriots money or brutal fumble vs. Falcons money?

Edited by Bronc24

After listening to Whaley at the post draft Presser, when asked if there were any plans to bring in another "jhand" at QB, there was no hestitation at all in his response, no! Not mayber or we will see, just an emphatic no. Followed by some half hearted rationale, "..if we brought anybody else in they would have to learn the system", we are confident in Lewis, Tuel was an undrafted rookie, Dennis Dixon has been around the block.. all of which makes you wonder why competition is best suited for any position but QB? And if they the braintrust (Whaley and Brandon etc. ) are really sincere about building the very best team bar none. If so why skirt the issue of having a solid backup QB . There has to be something beyond the surface, there can be no other reason. are they so afraid that a Kolb liek clone will slip in the shower or some other bizarre reason?atttempted. It is off limits to discussin, thatpart was made "perfectly clear" thank you mr. Presdient. There is no reasonable offered and obviously we can't expect any to come forth, we were told to "just forget about it", so says the Bills Mafia. It is amazing in this day and age wtih social media and all that those who cover the team for a living are so cowed or simply afraid to push the point that we all except that Whaley knows best. Does he really?

After listening to Whaley at the post draft Presser, when asked if there were any plans to bring in another "jhand" at QB, there was no hestitation at all in his response, no! Not mayber or we will see, just an emphatic no. Followed by some half hearted rationale, "..if we brought anybody else in they would have to learn the system", we are confident in Lewis, Tuel was an undrafted rookie, Dennis Dixon has been around the block.. all of which makes you wonder why competition is best suited for any position but QB? And if they the braintrust (Whaley and Brandon etc. ) are really sincere about building the very best team bar none. If so why skirt the issue of having a solid backup QB . There has to be something beyond the surface, there can be no other reason. are they so afraid that a Kolb liek clone will slip in the shower or some other bizarre reason?atttempted. It is off limits to discussin, thatpart was made "perfectly clear" thank you mr. Presdient. There is no reasonable offered and obviously we can't expect any to come forth, we were told to "just forget about it", so says the Bills Mafia. It is amazing in this day and age wtih social media and all that those who cover the team for a living are so cowed or simply afraid to push the point that we all except that Whaley knows best. Does he really?

Were the 950 other threads on this topic not enough?

Would have liked to have snagged Aaron Murray instead of the corner from Duke. We've got plenty of DB's. Murray would give us a legitimate option at QB if EJ keeps running around like a lost giraffe and getting creamed. Thad Lewis should be a 3rd QB. He looked overwhelmed in just about every start. He doesn't have the physical tools. Jeff Tuel needn't be on an NFL roster. We could have at least drafted a developmental guy with some upside to replace him.

Otherwise, the draft was great. I just agree with the original post. Unless you're certain you have a dependable top flight QB, you draft one every year at some point in the draft. It's not a position you just leave to practice squad guys. Want proof? Try watching that Chiefs game Thad started. I had to witness that in person.

Were the 950 other threads on this topic not enough?

Say kim jong un how is your uncle doing anyway? Not to get "off topic". Don't be afraid Promo to question your superiors they may hiding something from your pre programmed mind.

Edited by patfitz

He's responding the way I would expect him to respond, defensively. Which explains his snap reaction. He's sick of answering questions pertaining to the QB position when his current QB has been labeled a premature bust (I think EJ will bust, but I also recognize it's impossible to tell after 1 year, I just didn't like him at FSU). He's also got guys with starting experience in the system as back ups right now. Perhaps the thought of adding a slightly more skilled back up, while making us better, makes him a bit apprehensive, as that is the type of player the fans could be calling for if EJ starts slow. Not that those fans calling for such a switch would benefit us or be right, it's just a predictable situation. When in reality, as far as any potential back ups go that we could bring in, after learning the system they would likely not be much better then what we currently have, given the time the players we have spent in the system. In sum, back off my Starter and I think my back ups are about the same as what is available without the risk of a sloppy mess. If this is in fact his thought process, I can't really blame him.

There are many different points-of-views on here, but I don't think anyone here is ignorant enough to mistake Vick for a playoff calibre QB

This isn't the exact same scenario, but there were a few topics on here during preseason last year trying to convince people Tuel should get a shot (Taking valuable preseason time from Manuel). Can you imagine if Vick were on the team? Ignorance is bountiful when you are a fan. That's why we are fanatics :)

I actually think it's highly likely that Vick is toast and that Tajh is the #2. Maybe I'm too high on the kid, but that's my gut feeling.

I have the opposite opinion. I think Vick starts if Geno falters like he did last year. We can only wait and see though.