Watkins trade compared to Julio Jones trade

The Falcons moved up 21 spots -- from 27th to sixth -- to select Jones.

Here is deal that the Falcons swung with the Cleveland Browns for Jones back in 2011:

Falcons received:

2011 first-round selection (No. 6; used to select Julio Jones)

Browns received:

2011 first-round selection (No. 27; later traded to Kansas City; Browns moved up to No. 21 to select Phil Taylor)

2011 second-round selection (No. 59; used to select Greg Little)

2011 fourth-round selection (No. 124; used to select Owen Marecic)

2012 first-round selection (No. 22; used to select Brandon Weeden)

2012 fourth-round selection (No. 118; later traded to Minnesota)

Meanwhile, the Bills moved up five spots on Thursday night to select Watkins:

Bills received:

2014 first-round selection (No. 4; used to select Sammy Watkins)

Browns received:

2014 first-round selection (No. 9; later traded to Minnesota; Browns moved up to No. 8 to select Justin Gilbert)

2015 first-round selection

2015 fourth-round selection

Essentially, the Falcons moved up 16 more spots in the first round than the Bills did, with the difference in the trades being Atlanta's current-year second- and fourth-round selections included in the deal.

I heard the Browns initially wanted this years first and third round picks and next years first ,Whaley called their bluff ( still on the phone with just minutes remaining ) and the rest is history....

We already got next years 4th rounder back in the Stevie Johnson trade to the Niners.

Edited by Ludwig van

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Falcons moved up 21 spots -- from 27th to sixth -- to select Jones. They were coming off a 13-3 season that ended in a disappointing Divisional playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers. In Jones' first season, Atlanta slipped to 10-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs before rebounding and reaching the NFC title game in 2012.

Here is deal that the Falcons swung with the Cleveland Browns (sound familiar?) for Jones back in 2011:

Falcons received:

2011 first-round selection (No. 6; used to select Julio Jones)

Browns received:

2011 first-round selection (No. 27; later traded to Kansas City; Browns moved up to No. 21 to select Phil Taylor)

2011 second-round selection (No. 59; used to select Greg Little)

2011 fourth-round selection (No. 124; used to select Owen Marecic)

2012 first-round selection (No. 22; used to select Brandon Weeden)

2012 fourth-round selection (No. 118; later traded to Minnesota)

Meanwhile, the Bills moved up five spots on Thursday night to select Watkins:

Bills received:

2014 first-round selection (No. 4; used to select Sammy Watkins)

Browns received:

2014 first-round selection (No. 9; later traded to Minnesota; Browns moved up to No. 8 to select Justin Gilbert)

2015 first-round selection

2015 fourth-round selection

Essentially, the Falcons moved up 16 more spots in the first round than the Bills did, with the difference in the trades being Atlanta's current-year second- and fourth-round selections included in the deal.

A second round pick in the draft is the equivalent to a future #1 in the next draft, especially in this one. So they gave up an additional first and an additional fourth.

We are not very good with our first rounders anyway. However, had we selected odb, then cruised the rest of the way we would be just as well off. The first next year will be the hedge bet for a QB or best DT available....another apparent need.

Tampa gave there 13th pick in 2013 and a 4th rd in 2014 for Revis and $16m salary ? for 1 year. We made out a lot better , but I would have taken Taylor Lewan.

We signed super Mario a #1 pick for similar big money but no trade to give up picks. So giving up a 1 and 4 for Sammy is a wash with Mario

Edited by ALF

Yeah, one of my good buddies is a Falcons fan. The other night he instantly compared the Sammy pick to the Julio Jones pick, especially how ATL also got panned in the media initially. But they obviously got their man. Hopefully we did too.

Cleveland just bent Whaley over a barrel on this trade. Only the Bills fans in the homer echo chamber think we got the better end of this deal.

Actually we won't have any idea who got the better end of the deal until we see the careers of the players involved pan out. If Watkins ends up as good as Julio Jones, the Bills will have done pretty well.

Actually we won't have any idea who got the better end of the deal until we see the careers of the players involved pan out. If Watkins ends up as good as Julio Jones, the Bills will have done pretty well.

I agree. If we picked up an AJ Green, we made out. I love the deals Whaley is pulling between the SJ trade (loved him but was a luxury), the RB trade with Philly, trading down to get a 5th and so on.

We need a guard in the 5 th.

I think your opinion on this trade (whoever you are) depends on how you feel about the direction the team is heading. There are some people (you know who you are) who will think that anything the Bills do is stupid, because EJ Manuel is their QB. There are others (I am one) who don't think Manuel was near as awful last season as others prefer to remember...for us, this seems like a very good deal.

Essentially, the Bills got the highest rated WR coming out of college in the last 5 years, for a first round pick. We all know, the draft is a crap shoot...but experts seem as sure as they can be, that Watkins is going to be a terrific, upper echelon NFL player. If that happens, I don't see how you can view this as a bad trade. The 4th rounder is not that big of a deal... the Bills have already replaced that #4 with the Johnson trade, and will very likely do some more wheeling and dealing next draft. How often has it happened, in the history of this franchise, that we have come out of the draft knowing that we have just obtained what is, arguably, one of the very best, if not the very best prospect in a draft?

If Watkins turns out to be a complete bust, have at...but until then, just quit being so miserable about everything regarding this team. We joke that the misery is part of being a Bills fan...and perhaps that is true. Wouldn't you rather go into a season, for once, feeling like we might be on to something. The franchise (and fans) have developed this "lovable losers" image by doing precisely what everyone always thinks they "should do"...you know, staying put in the draft, picking up some nice to not so good players...and continuing to hold their ground as a solid 6 or 7 win team every year....so they finally swing for the fence on a pick, and a vocal majority whines because they didn't play it safe, like they would have...

This was a dirt cheap deal all in the Bills favor. They got one of the top offensive talents of the decade for next year's #1 and a 4th. For those of you who think they gave "too much," remember they wouldn't have gotten Watkins at all without giving up something. How much is enough? Let me ask, how much would you have given for Andrew Luck? Me, I would have been okay with the number one pick for five straight years to get him.

Cleveland just bent Whaley over a barrel on this trade. Only the Bills fans in the homer echo chamber think we got the better end of this deal.

One small point. The falcons had Matt Ryan at the time. We have knee j

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Two posters sum up why so many of us old timer posters stay away from the main wall these days.

Good grief, go outside and take a deep breath. It's beautiful out there, I promise. It's way better than posting stuff on here that make you look foolish, or miserable, which both of these posts certainly do.

Most successful QBs seem like they come from the 2nd rd down anyway. Brees, Flacco, Dalton, niners QB etc so if EJ doesn't improve it's not the end of the world.

Edited by seq004

Two posters sum up why so many of us old timer posters stay away from the main wall these days.

Good grief, go outside and take a deep breath. It's beautiful out there, I promise. It's way better than posting stuff on here that make you look foolish, or miserable, which both of these posts certainly do.

I'm always going to post my opinion, whether it's approval or criticism of the Bills. I'm a Bills fan until death, but I will never be a blind cheerleader. If reading negative opinions about the team affects you that deeply, you're going to have a bad time regardless of which site you visit.

As stated above, the Julio Jones trade is only used as a comparison because they are both WRs - the circumstances are completely different. Atlanta was a playoff team looking for the last piece of the puzzle to win a SB, and they already had their franchise QB in place. The pick they gave up in the first round was a low pick and at the time next year's pick was also expected to be a low one.

A better comparison is the Dion Jordan trade last year. Miami moved up from #12 (lower than us) to #3 (higher than us) and it only cost them a future 2nd rounder. Cleveland knew we were desperate to win now and transitioning owners, and they took advantage of the situation and dragged Whaley out behind the woodshed on this deal.

If EJ snaps his leg in preseason or doesn't pan out (I know, I know - that's impossible, right?) we are in big trouble and we may not have the ammunition to remedy the problem in next year's draft.

JMHO of course.

Amen

This was a dirt cheap deal all in the Bills favor. They got one of the top offensive talents of the decade for next year's #1 and a 4th. For those of you who think they gave "too much," remember they wouldn't have gotten Watkins at all without giving up something. How much is enough? Let me ask, how much would you have given for Andrew Luck? Me, I would have been okay with the number one pick for five straight years to get him.

We'll said.

I'm always going to post my opinion, whether it's approval or criticism of the Bills. I'm a Bills fan until death, but I will never be a blind cheerleader. If reading negative opinions about the team affects you that deeply, you're going to have a bad time regardless of which site you visit.

As stated above, the Julio Jones trade is only used as a comparison because they are both WRs - the circumstances are completely different. Atlanta was a playoff team looking for the last piece of the puzzle to win a SB, and they already had their franchise QB in place. The pick they gave up in the first round was a low pick and at the time next year's pick was also expected to be a low one.

A better comparison is the Dion Jordan trade last year. Miami moved up from #12 (lower than us) to #3 (higher than us) and it only cost them a future 2nd rounder. Cleveland knew we were desperate to win now and transitioning owners, and they took advantage of the situation and dragged Whaley out behind the woodshed on this deal.

If EJ snaps his leg in preseason or doesn't pan out (I know, I know - that's impossible, right?) we are in big trouble and we may not have the ammunition to remedy the problem in next year's draft.

JMHO of course.

Perfectly stated. The pompom waving crowd doesn't seem to understand this.

Looking at next years draft, who is the great talent that the Bills will regret having the chance of getting? Is that talent better than Sammy Watkins? It seems to me that the Bills did their due diligence when they made this deal and may be laughing at all the naysayers in their "echo chamber"