Great Draft so far by Whaley

The draft needs several years to be evaluated properly. You also need to consider the lack of a number one pick next year. It is foolish to jump to conclusions at this point. If you could go back to all the posts on TBD over the last 15 years, you might find that nearly every draft was admired by the fans prematurely and incorrectly. What have all these "great" drafts produced since 2000? Heartache and disappointment for the most part.

Keep your expectations low until the Bills prove you wrong. It has been the best strategy this century.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What 3-4 package? Schwartz doesn't run a hybrid defense

The difference with Kiko was he was drafted to be an immediate starter but Brown at best will be a backup which they needed but not in third round when there were other players available that would provide more of an impact.

And what happens if Spikes plays well and is given an extension? They would hv used a high third round pick on a guy that would never be more then a backup for them

Preston can play inside or outside.

Its too bad Watkins is represented by Parker....

Is he for sure? I thought Evans was.

Whaley has been terrible and will never sniff another job remotely close to what he is doing now, and he makes a complete mess.

Those are harsh comments with no facts.

This is the most active draft the Bills have had in decades.

They added and subtracted players from next year's draft and had 2 trades adding a RB and shipping Stevie.

They need to add a Back up QB and a Safety.

I like it.

Edited by oman128

I was a little put off by the trade with the Browns initially. Then I was surprised by the pick of Kouandjio. All the trades and wheeling and dealing had me scratching my head. One thing for sure if all this works to finally get us into the playoffs Whaley will be considered a genius. The alternative is that he will be the goat. It will make for an exciting season going into 2014.

Great GMs think short term, mid term, and long term. They all like the draft, where they have a lot of time to prepare and get a good look at their roster and its needs, but they also stock that roster with valuable cog players from trades, FA, UDFA, and street FA. They look for a mix of youth and veteran leadership. They acquire (or keep) 2-3 star players at various positions. They get or keep a franchise QB. And most of all, they look to fill the roster of a 53 man team, not a group of talented players.

QB is obviously crucial. We don't know yet if EJ is that guy. At best it's a 50-50 shot the way it looks right now. But Whaley looks like he is going to be an excellent GM in my opinion.

What can you say but WOW !!!

QB EJ Manuel

RB CJ Spillier, Fred Jackson ans Brown.

WR Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods

OT Cyrus Kouandjio

OG Chirs Williams or Richardson

C Eric Wood

G Craig Urbik

OT Cordy Glenn

TE Scott Chandler

WR Mike Williams, Marquise Goodwin, TJ Graham

What can you say but WOW !!!

QB EJ Manuel

RB CJ Spillier, Fred Jackson ans Brown.

WR Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods

OT Cyrus Kouandjio

OG Chirs Williams or Richardson

C Eric Wood

G Craig Urbik

OT Cordy Glenn

TE Scott Chandler

WR Mike Williams, Marquise Goodwin, TJ Graham

I drink the kool aid and love the Bills. So, most of the time I am very, very positive. However, when you mentioned TJ Graham I disregarded what you said.

Not as optimistic that this is a great draft. Concerned about Whaley's decisions as he is giving up more than the position or player is worth with picks and trades. The only pick that would be a value was Cyrus, assuming his knees are ok. If not FUBAR.

How do you know that and please do not mention trade value chart. Only people that use it are fans on message boards.

The problem with SJ is that he needs to freelance to get open. He doesn't have tremendous speed but he is cunning and elusive. Fitz, for all his shortcomings, seemed to have developed a rapport with Stevie and knew where he was going even when he wasn't running the play exactly as designed. EJ, being a rookie, never developed that ability. Maybe EJ would never figure SJ out. SJ may do great with the 9ers. I don't think he would have ever been great again with the Bills.

Surrounding a young QB with a group of young WRs who can grow together makes a lot of sense.

THIS - I totally agree with this assessment. I LOVED Stevie but I could not help but notice he was not developing a rapport with EJ - sure EJ was hurt A LOT but, still, it was clear that Woods was EJ's favorite target. Stevie's forte is to improvise. It worked with The beard but was not nearly as successful with EJ.

Ill say it again I love what whaley has done in this draft. People are bitching about Brown trade, Kid is just 22 and starting his 3rd season. 220'bs and runs high 4.3's? Go watch the game in 2012 where he destroyed Carolina. Sure he needs work, but pure talent wise CJ better step up. With the Dixon pickup and now the Brown trade along with Two Guards (one in FA one draft) and a large RT added, I see the running game being used more this year.

Speaking of, Richardson from Baylor, saw him play quite a bit as I follow the Big 12, he is a beast. He works hard this kid will start at G for us at some point. So lets recap the Whaley led Bills offseason so far...

Addressed ILB, Upgraded the OL, WR and brought in some DB help so far in the draft. A kid that might be our next FS. Not too shabby