Josh Gordon supended for 1 year

JPS

I know but it just illustrates how dumb the NFL policies are, smoke your wife to be in an elevator, two game checks. Smoke some weed and you sit for a season.

Your passenger having drugs on themselves shouldn't matter but then again lolnfl.

Actually it's pretty much the same in the real world. How many ppl are doing a ridiculous amount of time for pot yet there are ppl that killed someone that don't get half as much time.

I could be wrong but I think the driver of the car can be charged by it simply being in the car regardless if its in his possession or not but with the amount of trouble Gordon is in he shouldn't be anywhere near pot so yes it absolutely matters.

I don't see how you can fault the NFL or think they are acting irrationally in any of this.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's pretty much the same in the real world. How many ppl are doing a ridiculous amount of time for pot yet there are ppl that killed someone that don't get half as much time.

I could be wrong but I think the driver of the car can be charged by it simply being in the car regardless if its in his possession or not but with the amount of trouble Gordon is in he shouldn't be anywhere near pot so yes it absolutely matters.

I don't see how you can fault the NFL or think they are acting irrationally in any of this.

If you think that having weed is comparable to hitting a women or any other violent crime then I have no rebuttal.

Well that is wrong, I have had weed double bagged and in my center console that my friends could smell when they opened the door.

Well neither of us know. I have been around a LOT of weed over 40 years. ;) Usually, if a friend of mine has some in a bag in a bag, I wouldn't know he had it, and these bastards get great weed. ;) Sometimes, yes, you can smell it.

The point is, if you could just smell it like the cop smelled it, when he walked up to the car, Gordon would have smelled it too. And in this particular case, in the middle of his appeal which is going to knock him out of the league for a year, should have gone Aaron Hernandez on his friend for bringing the weed before he started driving. Chances are very, very good IMO they were smoking in the car.

Well neither of us know. I have been around a LOT of weed over 40 years. ;) Usually, if a friend of mine has some in a bag in a bag, I wouldn't know he had it, and these bastards get great weed. ;) Sometimes, yes, you can smell it.

The point is, if you could just smell it like the cop smelled it, when he walked up to the car, Gordon would have smelled it too. And in this particular case, in the middle of his appeal which is going to knock him out of the league for a year, should have gone Aaron Hernandez on his friend for bringing the weed before he started driving. Chances are very, very good IMO they were smoking in the car.

So you admit that your first take was wrong, good to know that you started off on a false pretense.

Gordon could have developed a tolerance to the smell, he could have not cared since a passenger having weed has no bearing on him, and then you wrap it up with a huge leap that they were all smoking in the car.

I cannot wait until the day weed is legal so I no longer have to hear these awful "arguments" based on nothing.

Look, I hear the arguments for Gordon. I think that the policy on weed use is stupid, and considering what Vick got for running a dog fighting ring a year long suspension does seem over the top.

But when you are in the third stage of the drug program, meaning that you have been caught over and over and told that if you don't stop, things will get worse, and you don't...

And then, right when you get to the point where someone is deciding your fate, and something like this shows up...

Of course, a dark part of me can't help but think "Hey, if he's not in the lineup this year, we don't have to play against him, Johnny Football has a dramatically less talented group of WR's and it improves our odds if he is out for a year"

Look, I hear the arguments for Gordon. I think that the policy on weed use is stupid, and considering what Vick got for running a dog fighting ring a year long suspension does seem over the top.

But when you are in the third stage of the drug program, meaning that you have been caught over and over and told that if you don't stop, things will get worse, and you don't...

And then, right when you get to the point where someone is deciding your fate, and something like this shows up...

Of course, a dark part of me can't help but think "Hey, if he's not in the lineup this year, we don't have to play against him, Johnny Football has a dramatically less talented group of WR's and it improves our odds if he is out for a year"

Yep. But it needs to be the whole year because we play them week 13. If he should happen to get a reduced suspension (since it supposedly is some codeine cough syrup thing) then with our luck he will be back for our game. However, the commish doesn't seem to be wavering on anything with the drug suspensions, regardless of whether he just forgot to "register" his cough syrup, based on what happened with Mathis.

Yep. But it needs to be the whole year because we play them week 13. If he should happen to get a reduced suspension (since it supposedly is some codeine cough syrup thing) then with our luck he will be back for our game. However, the commish doesn't seem to be wavering on anything with the drug suspensions, regardless of whether he just forgot to "register" his cough syrup, based on what happened with Mathis.

There's always some innocent explanation. No one is every really guilty. Just like in prison.

Then at best the NFL is saying that being caught with marijuana is equal to beating your wife. I agree the NFL's disciplinary system is a joke.

The biggest joke is that for purposes of the drug policy, marihuana is treated no differently than steroids. And that a proven steroid abuser/cheater is suspended for only four games.

Everyone here wants him cut. Would ya'll want to pick him up if it happened? I think it might. Haslam says one thing, but Pettine wants these types gone.

The problem all along is what do you commit to the guy?

The problem all along is what do you commit to the guy?

Exactly. I think it would be tough for any team except maybe the Patriots, Denver, Seattle, someone like that, to bring him in of he is cut and stash him until next year. He has shown that he is not committed to his team or to football. For a team trying to build a winning culture, it would be a bad look.

So you admit that your first take was wrong, good to know that you started off on a false pretense.

Gordon could have developed a tolerance to the smell, he could have not cared since a passenger having weed has no bearing on him, and then you wrap it up with a huge leap that they were all smoking in the car.

I cannot wait until the day weed is legal so I no longer have to hear these awful "arguments" based on nothing.

If you had a job that paid you more than you ever imagined you would get & you knew that there was no way you would get anywhere near that amount anywhere else...but, your contract laid out very clearly conduct that could get you suspended & eventually fired...would you continue to engage in that behavior?

Regardless of whether you believe the weed is his or not (I don't know how you can give him the benefit of the doubt at this point), someone in Gordon's situation should be frisking people before they get in his car with everything he has on the line with the appeal process, etc. Unless he knows it is a lost cause, and doesn't care. I assume the latter.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Time for Roger Goodell and NFL to get real about players' marijuana use

Enough with the NFL's Reefer Madness already. It needs to stop.

I fully realize that nothing of significance changes in this league without a fight between the league and its union, but the fact that lighting up a joint is dealt with in a draconian fashion, while domestic abuse punishment is often meted out in a far-less severe manner, is just one of many incongruous corollaries to the NFL's weed policy.

If you had a job that paid you more than you ever imagined you would get & you knew that there was no way you would get anywhere near that amount anywhere else...but, your contract laid out very clearly conduct that could get you suspended & eventually fired...would you continue to engage in that behavior?

I agree that he shouldn't waste his golden opportunity but I still feel that punishing players for marijuana use is dumb.