WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

My take...

People are remembering the Stevie that had a hell of a great connection with Fitz. Those two connected well. With EJ, that connection wasn't there, in my opinion. I wonder if SJ requires a certain type of connection with his QB that doesn't fit EJ's game. He is a "draw it in the sand" type of receiver, that can be tough for certain systems.

After reading the reports from this off-season, I was shocked that SJ wasn't working with EJ. I don't thing they mesh well, and Whaley and Marrone recognized it and got some value, and added younger players that can grow with him.

I love the Watkins trade, he is a stud. We completely upgraded at receiver no doubt.

Good luck SJ, it was fun, but without Fitz, I think you are very average.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you figure? Johnson had more yards, and tds with less games played. I won't argue that Woods might have more upside, but statistically Johnson was better last year despite playing through injuries.

They both had injuries. The difference is that Stevie has a recurring nightmare in th hammy groin.

Woods has more polish as a rookie that SJ did. There is no comparison.

It was almost inevitable. There just wasn't room to keep everyone and he was the most obvious target. Spent a 7th on him and hopefully it turns into a 3rd.

The Bills don't throw a lot to begin with. They obviously love Watkins and he is WR1 from day 1.

Robert Woods showed a lot of promise last season and they like him; spent a 2nd on him.

Mike Williams needs to see action because he has the talent to be a top flight WR2. He has 25 TD in a little over 3 seasons of action. They obviously like him.

Goodwin showed some flashes his rookie year. He is the fastest player in the league and should be deadly out of the slot.

All 4 of those guys were brought in by this regime as well. Stevie was not. I don't think they dislike Stevie but it came down to a numbers game. He has also struggled with his groin injuries, constantly. He makes the most money as well. I think they felt he was redundant and making too much for what his role in this offense will be.

Wish him the best of luck

I just corrected your incorrect statement. We do have our 1st round pick, his name is Sammy Watkins. We just had to give up next years 1st and 4th to move up to get him.

This is clearly about perception. Picking Sammy Watkins at 9 (if he fell to us) comes at the cost of not picking another player. So yes that pick counts towards what we paid for him.

Edited by What a Tuel

I get to see him every week now, in a new stadium.

I get to see him every week now, in a new stadium.

Me too.. just moved a few miles from the new stadium. He's fun to watch.. but happy about the trade.

This is clearly about perception. Picking Sammy Watkins at 9 comes at the cost of not picking another player. So yes that pick counts towards what we paid for him.

This is clearly about perception. Picking Sammy Watkins at 9 comes at the cost of not picking another player. So yes that pick counts towards what we paid for him.

No, its not about perception. We have our 2014 first round pick.

You don't know what happened between EJ and SJ, what the coach did to try to solve the problem, or the specific issues between the two of them.

If SJ catches the winning touchdown pass, then they were wrong.

My point is that this happens all the time in the NFL. Ask the Colts (a winning organization, right?) how the Trent Richardson trade worked out.

I would suggest a visit to other teams' message boards after one of their veteran players is traded.

It's just so sour at times... I hate that both organisation and players just cant get past all the money stuff and go all in to win together. Wouldnt it be great if everyone would be on a base salary including FO and coaches and they would all be paid based on the performance of the team at the end of the year... Let the game be the game... Ow well guess I need to get over it... and accept this part of the game...

I had hoped for an off season with EJ to sync up. And one year to redeem himself But not overly surprised. Not pleased for selfish reasons.

But definitely good for Stevie . i think he will do well enough and be happy with the Niners.

Any one consider he wanted to be traded ?

I think he did . And Marrone was listening .

Best wishes Steve Johnson and thanks for your hard work as a Bill

How do you think the Eagles fans feel that they cut their #1 WR and got nothing in return? And he is now in their division. SJ wasn't close to the same player and they got a 4th rounder and he is in the opposite conference.

Great point!

And, I can't wait for 2 hours to pass so the draft can start again!

This is clearly about perception. Picking Sammy Watkins at 9 (if he fell to us) comes at the cost of not picking another player. So yes that pick counts towards what we paid for him.

So, if someone was to ask you what paid for your car, you'd tell them "4,238 cheeseburgers?"

I'm surprised by all of the animosity that I'm reading about this. I have long-defended Stevie- but this deal is a no-brainer. Makes sense for both teams. And there have been countless people on this board clamoring for the Bills to get rid of Johnson for years- now all of a sudden there is this outcry about his being dealt. The schizophrenia here is absolutely amazing!

Yep. Even when the Bills are making moves to get better, they are met with the harshest of criticisms. The Patriots draft two torn ACL's and they will still "own us". Give the current regime some credit. They are making moves they feel will make the team better. I can live with that.

torn ACL's and they will still "own us". Give the current regime some credit. They are making moves they feel will make the team better. I can live with that.

Edited by Bronc24

No, its not about perception. We have our 2014 first round pick.

And we have 3 less picks.

So, if someone was to ask you what paid for your car, you'd tell them "4,238 cheeseburgers?"

If you bought a car for $20,000 and put $12,000 down. You would not say you paid $8,000 for the car.

Edited by What a Tuel

Too many WR's and he was the highest paid one. They have to keep room for Aiken and maybe even Hagan for special teams. Good luck Stevie! One ex-Bill I will be cheering for...

Agree with this as well. I like Stevie, but I understand the move. It's not like we don't have any WR's....

I wish him well in SF and will enjoy the battles vs. the Seahawks' secondary.

No...we lost/spent one first round pick. It's a question of Sammy-antics

Yes. In order to draft Watkins in the 4th spot, the Bills had to give the Browns the 9th spot, the first round pick and 4th round pick next year. = 2 firsts and a fourth

If you still don't get it, here's an example: Lets say the Bills only had to give the Browns the Bills 2015 first round and the 2015 fourth round pick.= 1 first round and 1 fourth round.

Yes, that means the Bills would have gotten the Browns 4th overall spot plus kept their own 9th overall spot this year.

Get it now?

And we have 3 less picks.

If you bought a car for $20,000 and put $12,000 down. You would not say you paid $8,000 for the car.

No, we have two less picks. One is on the team. :) LOL

We could go round and round all day. We used our first round pick on Watkins.

He did take 3 draft picks to get on the team.

No, because you should have never eaten 4238 cheeseburgers...you should have used coupons for "Buy One Get One Free" and that way you'd never lose out on 1/2 the cheeseburgers. :nana: