Cleveland Browns' Draft Picks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Cleveland, along with Buffalo is another one of those teams the media loves to hate. Yesterday on ESPN they did a "power rankings after the draft" piece. (Silly on many levels...I know) Buffalo was ranked 30, Cleveland was ranked 32 ! Are you kidding me ?

Surprised these fellas routing for the Browns are upset with the Manziel pick. I'm thinking they stole the kid at #22. I know I'm in the minority but I'll watch Cleve every chance I get when this kid becomes the starter. And...probably become a Cleve fan if our team moves out of here...God forbid !

I think Cleveland, along with Buffalo is another one of those teams the media loves to hate. Yesterday on ESPN they did a "power rankings after the draft" piece. (Silly on many levels...I know) Buffalo was ranked 30, Cleveland was ranked 32 ! Are you kidding me ?

Surprised these fellas routing for the Browns are upset with the Manziel pick. I'm thinking they stole the kid at #22. I know I'm in the minority but I'll watch Cleve every chance I get when this kid becomes the starter. And...probably become a Cleve fan if our team moves out of here...God forbid !

I would not be surprised if the Browns are in the playoffs next year. Bills for that matter too.

The media may love to hate but for the last decade teams have loved to see both on the schedule. Both have topped out at average. Derek Anderson, Kelly Holcomb, and Drew Bledsoe who was washed up would be the glory days. Let's not get overly sensitive to two teams that have been pathetic.

@ProFootballTalk

Browns are smart to make Manziel a backup for now, but dumb if they let him play preseason games behind No. 2 line http://wp.me/p14QSB-9tV1

@FootballPost

Browns cut Greg Little http://bit.ly/1j2sJ1H

lol. Now both players are gone who Lombardi and Banner told Chud to cut and he wouldn't, which allegedly led to him getting the ax.

Browns down to one player left from the Julio Jones trade

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 16, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT

Those who didn’t like the Browns trading down in the 2011 NFL Draft have reason to like it even less today.

The Browns’ release of wideout Greg Little on Friday leaves Cleveland with just one player left from a five draft-pick package acquired from Atlanta three years ago — defensive tackle Phil Taylor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/greg-littles-release-leaves-browns-with-one-player-left-from-julio-jones-trade/

Maybe it works for the Browns this time.

I'll say this: if it was EJ that was in Vegas pulling these stunts - in his first year as a Rookie before camp started - BILLS Nation would have lit him up like a Christmas tree on Twitter, Facebook and this forum. I don't think Manziel will have a lasting QB legacy, and will be continued distraction to his team (although, this part is not his fault about the media's romance with his actions) and unless he develops some better skills more traditional to the NFL, he'll be another QB wonder in the college ranks that doesn't quite do it in the NFL...I think he will see the field, make some great plays but be inconsistent and not Favre inconsistent, just poor play inconsistent....

I'll say this: if it was EJ that was in Vegas pulling these stunts - in his first year as a Rookie before camp started - BILLS Nation would have lit him up like a Christmas tree on Twitter, Facebook and this forum. I don't think Manziel will have a lasting QB legacy, and will be continued distraction to his team (although, this part is not his fault about the media's romance with his actions) and unless he develops some better skills more traditional to the NFL, he'll be another QB wonder in the college ranks that doesn't quite do it in the NFL...I think he will see the field, make some great plays but be inconsistent and not Favre inconsistent, just poor play inconsistent....

Jup, the thing guys like him need to get into their thick skull is simple; layoff the parties for ten years, work like crazy, be better then the best and then party for 80 years afterwards.

Ugh... it is so sad that I can go to a different team's website and see those fans lamenting the state of Johnny and the Browns. Embarrassing. Most of the Browns fans seem to be apologists for him, and I agree that he didn't do anything wrong. But I do think he lacks judgment. Partying in Vegas with Gronk of all people who has a reputation for his priorities being out of whack when that is the exact image JFF is trying to move away from? When JFF should be working on trying to win the starting QB job. Whether or not his weekend hurt this endeavor, it certainly couldn't have helped. Apparently his college offense did not even use a playbook. They had a game plan each week, but the plays were not dictated by the defense, they just ran a set of plays without using pre-snap reads. I look at the best QBs in tbe NFL and it is the exact opposite. Everything they do is dictated by the defense when they walk up to the LOS. He has a lot of adjustments to make. I am starting to think he is Matt Leinart without the height and national title. Also, he doesn't seem to be Mike Pettine's style of player. We shall see.

Absolutely agree. I know that EJ Manuel wasn't perfect his rookie season (most QBs aren't) and hurt his knee, but everything he does is exemplary to try to win and get better. I see how much he is knocked around on this board and I understand that is what the board is for and of course his performance in certain games warrants it, but you are so lucky to have him.

Ugh... it is so sad that I can go to a different team's website and see those fans lamenting the state of Johnny and the Browns. Embarrassing. Most of the Browns fans seem to be apologists for him, and I agree that he didn't do anything wrong. But I do think he lacks judgment. Partying in Vegas with Gronk of all people who has a reputation for his priorities being out of whack when that is the exact image JFF is trying to move away from? When JFF should be working on trying to win the starting QB job. Whether or not his weekend hurt this endeavor, it certainly couldn't have helped. Apparently his college offense did not even use a playbook. They had a game plan each week, but the plays were not dictated by the defense, they just ran a set of plays without using pre-snap reads. I look at the best QBs in tbe NFL and it is the exact opposite. Everything they do is dictated by the defense when they walk up to the LOS. He has a lot of adjustments to make. I am starting to think he is Matt Leinart without the height and national title. Also, he doesn't seem to be Mike Pettine's style of player. We shall see.

Absolutely agree. I know that EJ Manuel wasn't perfect his rookie season (most QBs aren't) and hurt his knee, but everything he does is exemplary to try to win and get better. I see how much he is knocked around on this board and I understand that is what the board is for and of course his performance in certain games warrants it, but you are so lucky to have him.

The optics of him being in Vegas as a rookie QB and potential face of the franchise are simply wrong. This guy has a lot of growing up to do, but right now he just doesn't get it. Hopefully for Browns' fans he will one day.

The optics of him being in Vegas as a rookie QB and potential face of the franchise are simply wrong. This guy has a lot of growing up to do, but right now he just doesn't get it. Hopefully for Browns' fans he will one day.

I don't get how so many people say that so-and-so receiver partied all the time and he is great one he is on the field, or that Justin Gilbert was partying in Miami all weekend too and posting IG pics and no one cares. Well, those players are not rookie QBs. NFL QB is a position like none other, as you said, face of a franchise and the most difficult transition to make from college to NFL and that is for the Andrew Lucks of the world who were born to be a NFL QB. Now you have a kid who has had 2 years of experience as a QB in college and trying to transition to a role in which he was never asked to do in college. Yet, he just doesn't seem committed to that.

JM needs fewer enablers and apologists. JMO. I don't have a problem with a 21-year-old wealthy famous bachelor going to Vegas for Memorial weekend. I just don't see the successful NFL QBs doing that in the middle of rookie mini-camp.

ClevelandRocks: regarding EJ Manuel and the BILLS and their fans "lucky to have him", those are fightin' words for some people on this board! Haha! In all seriousness though, I appreciate an outsiders perspective and despite no love for Cleveland as a team, I truly do feel empathy for Cleveland Browns' fans...they have toiled through some rough sh*t regarding their team, and if I were a fan, I too would have been disappointed with their selection of Manziel...now, only time will tell, and maybe he's destined for greatness, but to me, a Rookie QB is to eating, breathing, sleeping all things NFL and Offense related...now, maybe JM knows he won't be starting at QB and therefore, lost some of his fire and drive, maybe not...I don't know...but partying in Vegas just a few weeks after you're Drafted to be the "answer" at QB for a Franchise that is starving for there to *be* a Face of the Franchise, tells me you're more concerned with enjoying the benefits of the NFL life than achieving the presumed status of "star" or aforementioned Face of a team....kudos to you for being balanced and seeing your team with some critique and not just eating up all the hype and taking a somewhat skeptical approach....best of luck to the Browns, until and unless they face the BILLS, otherwise, hope all goes well...for the fans' sake, not for any other reason.

It just has a Jamarcus "I already made it" Russell feel to it.

Kid has consistently acted like he's untouchable - it might not come back to bite him, but it normally will.

Edited by NoSaint

I personally admire this guy's over the top cockiness and brashness. He is who he is. The browns knew that. If they didn't like it or had concerns, they should have taken someone else.

It'll be really interesting to see if he lives up to the hype or is a total bust.

agree

I personally admire this guy's over the top cockiness and brashness. He is who he is. The browns knew that. If they didn't like it or had concerns, they should have taken someone else.

It'll be really interesting to see if he lives up to the hype or is a total bust.

agree

As do I. People are overblowing everything about Manziel - both positive and negative. Him spending Memorial Day weekend in Vegas with half of the rest of the NFL means nothing except that he still doesn't care what people think. I can't believe so many do. Regardless, there's probably no better mentality than that for a QB in Cleveland. That doesn't mean he will be successful, but it's a good place to start.

As do I. People are overblowing everything about Manziel - both positive and negative. Him spending Memorial Day weekend in Vegas with half of the rest of the NFL means nothing except that he still doesn't care what people think. I can't believe so many do. Regardless, there's probably no better mentality than that for a QB in Cleveland. That doesn't mean he will be successful, but it's a good place to start.

I don't care what he does off the field but this is what they had to have expected. I would personally rather have a Luck/Wilson type as a franchise QB who stays out of the TMZ headlines and appears focused on football but that's just me.

JM needs fewer enablers and apologists. JMO. I don't have a problem with a 21-year-old wealthy famous bachelor going to Vegas for Memorial weekend. I just don't see the successful NFL QBs doing that in the middle of rookie mini-camp.

And I think importantly - it's clear the browns want him a bit out of the public eye. You'd think he could find something a little more discrete than Vegas with gronk to "get away from the grind and spend time with friends and family"

There's some degree of whether or not he's going to buy into the system and leadership in Cleveland or continue to try to be bigger than those things.

If owner, coach and player aren't working with the same vision it's going to be a tough road to success. There are plenty of questions for both haslem and Johnny and a weekend vegas just reenforces that those questions are fair to ask

And I think importantly - it's clear the browns want him a bit out of the public eye. You'd think he could find something a little more discrete than Vegas with gronk to "get away from the grind and spend time with friends and family"

There's some degree of whether or not he's going to buy into the system and leadership in Cleveland or continue to try to be bigger than those things.

If owner, coach and player aren't working with the same vision it's going to be a tough road to success. There are plenty of questions for both haslem and Johnny and a weekend vegas just reenforces that those questions are fair to ask

I had that same thought. The Browns went out of their way to try to block out national media and distractions, etc. And it appeared as if he reacted to that like a teenager who just got un-grounded. He went and created his own distraction as soon as he could. It isn't like he didn't know this would be a major story.

Manzel is an arrogant, spoiled brat and that is not likely to change. There is no way he is not going to be a major distraction to the Browns, whether he plays or not. You would think he might mature over time, but I would not bet on it. Mike Pettine better get used to this.

I had that same thought. The Browns went out of their way to try to block out national media and distractions, etc. And it appeared as if he reacted to that like a teenager who just got un-grounded. He went and created his own distraction as soon as he could. It isn't like he didn't know this would be a major story.

Exactly - it's not that hard to get a beach house somewhere and stay discrete but still have fun. He made a choice to seek out the attention. Your rebellious teenager analogy is a great one for how it comes across.

Manzel is an arrogant, spoiled brat and that is not likely to change. There is no way he is not going to be a major distraction to the Browns, whether he plays or not. You would think he might mature over time, but I would not bet on it. Mike Pettine better get used to this.

Pettine fits in well in Cleveland.... which is similar to Buffalo as well as where he is from. Blue-collar, tough, hard-nosed. I just wonder if Johnny is his type of player... which won't matter if he wins but will if he doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...