RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Interesting that he commented Detroit and Tampa had told him they were planning on trading up to get him. The Bills were probably bidding against several teams after the first three picks went the way they did.

@mikerodak

One current NFL general manager has strong thoughts about the Bills’ offseason and Sammy Watkins trade: http://es.pn/1oVVhxj

I don't know how anyone can grade the Bills offseason poorly. We improved in every area, other than free safety. And there's a good chance we won't miss Byrd much with the guys we have competing for the spot.

"Watkins dominated all the way through college, has rare measurables and plays with a mean streak, but if you are going to mortgage your future, you do it to get a quarterback, not a receiver," the GM said. "They gave up way too much. They mortgaged the future when they do not have a franchise quarterback, in my opinion. They will be looking for another QB in a year and they will not have a first-round pick to get him."

EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole time...........Except I'm not saying they WILL be looking next year, only that they MAY be looking next year.

"Watkins dominated all the way through college, has rare measurables and plays with a mean streak, but if you are going to mortgage your future, you do it to get a quarterback, not a receiver," the GM said. "They gave up way too much. They mortgaged the future when they do not have a franchise quarterback, in my opinion. They will be looking for another QB in a year and they will not have a first-round pick to get him."

EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole time...........Except I'm not saying they WILL be looking next year, only that they MAY be looking next year.

Some one needs to remind me why we cant draft a QB next year if needed ?

I mean trading up is always gonna cost you.

And one more point , i did not see any QB this past draft that makes me think they might be a better value.

Talk to me again next season though : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Nobody is talking about a QB this year.

i was referring to the article and alot of pundits have said its foolish to trade up do far for some one who is not a QB . Also, Its a wasted pick if you cant get him the ball.

Possibly i referenced to that at the wrong time oops

Edited by 3rdand12

It's ok.

Marcus Mariota will be in the 2016 NFL draft

CBF

Mariota seems to be the flavor of the month, much like Bridgewater was last year at this time. Wait until the warts start being exposed.

For a GM to say that we shouldn't make the Watkins deal because we need our first next year to "take a QB" is beyond short-sighted.

1.) There is NO guarantee a better QB is gonna be there with that pick anyway.

2.) While he talks all he wants a about "mortgaging the future" he totally disregards the concept of "mortgaging your present" by passing up opportunities to acquire elite talent. And Watkins has shown that he is in every sense of the word. These latent, after the fact comparisons to Ebron or Beckham are total crap. Neither can hold Watkins' jock in terms of actual college production and potential based on that production.

And neither was considered a blue chip prospect in the draft.

3.) No guts, no glory and if you don't swing for the fences, then you are content with being a singles hitter and are afraid to take an educated chance on a great player. I suspect this "GM" is in the later category and makes decisions out of fear.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Mariota seems to be the flavor of the month, much like Bridgewater was last year at this time. Wait until the warts start being exposed.

For a GM to say that we shouldn't make the Watkins deal because we need our first next year to "take a QB" is beyond short-sighted.

1.) There is NO guarantee a better QB is gonna be there with that pick anyway.

2.) While he talks all he wants a about "mortgaging the future" he totally disregards the concept of "mortgaging your present" by passing up opportunities to acquire elite talent. And Watkins has shown that he is in every sense of the word. These latent, after the fact comparisons to Ebron or Beckham are total crap. Neither can hold Watkins' jock in terms of actual college production and potential based on that production.

And neither was considered a blue chip prospect in the draft.

3.) No guts, no glory and if you don't swing for the fences, then you are content with being a singles hitter and are afraid to take an educated chance on a great player. I suspect this "GM" is in the later category and makes decisions out of fear.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. Plenty of people would have been complaining on this board if they settled for a second level talent at 9 while Detroit or Tampa traded up to get one of the few elite talents available in the draft. I applaud the willingness to swing for the fences.

i was referring to the article and alot of pundits have said its foolish to trade up do far for some one who is not a QB . Also, Its a wasted pick if you cant get him the ball.

Possibly i referenced to that at the wrong time oops

The one part where I do disagree with that guy is that he said he'd never mortgage the future for a non QB. I would - if I had a QB in place...............I hope we do, but it's just hope right now.

The one part where I do disagree with that guy is that he said he'd never mortgage the future for a non QB. I would - if I had a QB in place...............I hope we do, but it's just hope right now.

Can we please stop it with the mortgaging the future nonsense. They gave up 1 first round pick! This is nowhere near the RGIII trade.