WGR and callers

Bottom line is that Schopp is good if you want to hear about Tennis, Soccer or some sort of long distance running. Bulldog is a follower that might or might not be a Bills or Sabres fan depending on Schopps mood for the day. Neither of them really have an opinion that makes any sense, only something that creates controversery. The only thing they ever did that was decent was when their previous program director played "The Match Game" and they followed along. Great for an afternoon drive show but didn't really make it for a sports talk radio thing.

The morning show is attrocious with Jeremy White or whatever his name is. I cannot believe that he is still on the radio. I can't imagine that the rating for that show hovers anywhere near .5% with that guy on the air. He should pay Howard Simon half his salary for even having a job on that station.

I understand it's Buffalo and it's a fairly simple market but White is really a joke when it comes down to knowledge about sports. I think he might be a Sabres season ticker holder but that doesn't make him knowledgable.

I live in the Orlando area and try to listen to the station through the app mornings and afternoons and honestly find myself listening to Murph's evening show and Sal's show from the weekend on demand instead of those shows because Simon, White, Schopp and whatever bulldogs last name is, are really unbearable to listen to most days.

Joe B., in my opinion, was a schill(sp) of Schopp and Bulldog while they had Jerry Sullivan on, but ever since Sullivan has left, Buscaglia seems to have opened up his eyes and become a much better beat guy and reporter. He tried so hard to be a dickhead like Sullivan for a long time but he seems to be an honest, open-minded reporter that cover the Bills.

IMO, Sal should be on in the mornings with possibly Kollar(sp) and the afternoon could be filled with anybody that has sports knowledge. Sal is by far the best all around sports personality on that station and I am not related to him.

Edited by flomoe

Bottom line is that Schopp is good if you want to hear about Tennis, Soccer or some sort of long distance running. Bulldog is a follower that might or might not be a Bills or Sabres fan depending on Schopps mood for the day. Neither of them really have an opinion that makes any sense, only something that creates controversery. The only thing they ever did that was decent was when their previous program director played "The Match Game" and they followed along. Great for an afternoon drive show but didn't really make it for a sports talk radio thing.

The morning show is attrocious with Jeremy White or whatever his name is. I cannot believe that he is still on the radio. I can't imagine that the rating for that show hovers anywhere near .5% with that guy on the air. He should pay Howard Simon half his salary for even having a job on that station.

I understand it's Buffalo and it's a fairly simple market but White is really a joke when it comes down to knowledge about sports. I think he might be a Sabres season ticker holder but that doesn't make him knowledgable.

I live in the Orlando area and try to listen to the station through the app mornings and afternoons and honestly find myself listening to Murph's evening show and Sal's show from the weekend on demand instead of those shows because Simon, White, Schopp and whatever bulldogs last name is, are really unbearable to listen to most days.

Joe B., in my opinion, was a schill(sp) of Schopp and Bulldog while they had Jerry Sullivan on, but ever since Sullivan has left, Buscaglia seems to have opened up his eyes and become a much better beat guy and reporter. He tried so hard to be a dickhead like Sullivan for a long time but he seems to be an honest, open-minded reporter that cover the Bills.

IMO, Sal should be on in the mornings with possibly Kollar(sp) and the afternoon could be filled with anybody that has sports knowledge. Sal is by far the best all around sports personality on that station and I am not related to him.

What makes Sal good is he actually knows something about football. He did some high school coaching in Florida. No one else on the WGR staff has any real sports background. Most of the main guys are just talk hosts. If you listen to sports stations in other cities they usually have ex-jocks and sports reporters as hosts, people with some useful insight. At least as sidekicks to the hosts.

But for some reason that never caught on at WGR. Probably because parent company Entercom figures it's not worth the added expense. They have Buffalo sports fans at their mercy with only canned satellite AM stations as alternatives. Besides the sure-fire formula in Buffalo is make fans upset over something. You don't need talent for that.

i hit WGR now and then. basically they could put any two guys in the 3-6pm slot to handle buffalo sports radio and the rating would eventually end up about where Mike and the Bulldog are: mediocre at best. funny at times, moody and temperamental (esp Schopp), biased toward hockey, and ultimately just bored to death of having to talk 15 hours a week about two pro teams that are perennially disappointing in terms of playoff success.

still there is no excuse for being rude to older people or callers that speak more slowly or get intimidated by being on the radio. I have heard Schopp be a total dick to callers before and it's very uncool.

I would rather have a three person team of Bulldog, Joe B and Howard Simon for the 3-6 slot. Throw in more Chris Brown, Murph, Clayton, bills players etc. They would be funnier and lighter but also more entertaining and informative.

I am actually embarrassed for them when they talk football. Someone needs to ask them if it is such a bad thing to draft an OT in the first round then how do three of them go in the first 8 picks.

I'm pretty sure they have the highest rated show in the mornings for the 19-54 male demo or whatever the one it is that they are aiming for.

Sal Capaccio doing the job when either of B+S is out makes the afternoon show decent at times, and downright good at others.

I have no idea why Sal hasn't taken over Schopp's job yet, but I assume he will soon. This way, Schopp would be free to pursue the "big offers from other towns he gets all the time". (Direct quote from Schopp surrogate I have...on file :devil:)

I see that as a win/win. Let us poor, uncivilized, D-bags, who simply aren't capable of appreciating Schopp's ability, get what we deserve: Sal Capaccio, the low-end annoucer who is only capable of discussing dumb topics like the Bill's draft, and the hockey prospects we have because, you know, he's wasted his time watching them play. Then, let some other enlightened city benefit from the sheer brilliance that is Mike Schopp.

Everybody wins. Well, sort of. Buffalo stays dumb. But, hey that's Buffalo for ya! What can Mike really do about us being so dumb? It's not his fault we're dumb. He's done the very best he could with us, and you know, there are those big offers from other cities to consider....

I only listen to Murph, and normally as the podcast because 7pm over there is midnight over here and that's my bedtime, but on the odd occasion when I tune in to the last half hour of Shopp and the Bulldog I find them pretty annoying. I like Sal when he covers for Murph. Let me just reassure you all that we have one national sports talk radio station over here with presenters so absolutely clueless about soccer (which is the main sport they talk about) that it's frightening. It's not just WGR folks. B-)

This reminds me of the Stern argument"I listen everyday and he sucks". Just stop listening.

PTR, you complain the loudest yet still CALL IN!!!

I like most everything on WGR, including the afternoon guys

.I think Jeremy is great,

Sylvester and Murph i usually take with a grain of salt as they are employed by the respective teams., but i still listen and enjoy the shows..

I still am fascinated that i can have WGR coming out of my car radio when i am in Jersey, or Orlando, or Hershey PA. Thats awesome!

Edited by plenzmd1

Always get a kick out of the arguments that point to 'ratings' or claim 'dont listen' - those are fine except for the little fact they are the ONLY sports show in town - many unsatisfied listeners keep returning in the hope that the ONLY sports alternative has somehow changed/improved and are quickly reminded - same old garbage!!

Having said that I will bet WGR has the top ratings during drive times and are the highest rated shows when considering males between ages of 18 -50.

I only listen because its the only game in town. Even with that, Im starting to tune it out. It is the same topic/conversation over and over and over again. I cant take it.

The Fan 1270 Show with Bull is 200x better than anything on WGR (excluding Murphy).

If there was another option that talked mostly Buffalo sports at their time I would definitely listen. Unfortunately, there isn't. If it was just Schopp and the bulldog i wouldn't tune in. Some of their guests are worth listening to. I'm guessing that their ratings are decent or good, but I wonder if that is due to having no competition.

You won't get another option if you keep giving them listeners.

This reminds me of the Stern argument"I listen everyday and he sucks". Just stop listening.

PTR, you complain the loudest yet still CALL IN!!!

I like most everything on WGR, including the afternoon guys

.I think Jeremy is great,

Sylvester and Murph i usually take with a grain of salt as they are employed by the respective teams., but i still listen and enjoy the shows..

I still am fascinated that i can have WGR coming out of my car radio when i am in Jersey, or Orlando, or Hershey PA. Thats awesome!

You act like I call every day. I might once in a great while. Like I said before what choice do you have to get Buffalo sports news? Frankly I rate TBD higher but I can't read it when I'm driving.

I only listen because its the only game in town. Even with that, Im starting to tune it out. It is the same topic/conversation over and over and over again. I cant take it.

The Fan 1270 Show with Bull is 200x better than anything on WGR (excluding Murphy).

When is Genzler on? 12-3?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You act like I call every day. I might once in a great while. Like I said before what choice do you have to get Buffalo sports news? Frankly I rate TBD higher but I can't read it when I'm driving.

Never stops me!!Just kidding

When is Genzler on? 12-3?

Yes. It is a good show. It is fairly well planned and they touch on all things. Bisons, Bandits, UB/Local NCAA Sports, MLB, NBA, Sabres, Bills, other teams in NFL/NHL (OMG!) you name it.

Bull is a good host. He puts a ton of effort in. His cohorts' deliveries are a bit rough. Bull gets a bit pukey/disk jockey sounding sometimes during interviews which can be a bit embarrassing... but overall, the show is such a breath of fresh air over the nonsense tunnel vision on WGR.

Im not even so sure its the hosts as much as it is the Program Manager(s) there

Edited by May Day 10

Schopp and the Bulldog are flat out a-holes, especially after Bills games. They don't like their jobs and are demeaning to callers.

White and Simon killed me this morning trying to wedge talk about the worst team in the NHL. Also Hockey Hotline is a joke especially during the offseason.

I like Sal.

Joe B. is at least amiable. But he, nor Paul Hamilton, seem to have true access to the team.

When was the last time either of them or anyone at the station actually had a scoop or had their information broadcast nationally? Maybe Murphy but he's basically a company man for the Bills.

But I listen ... All the time.

Hockey Hotline.

Thank god. Need to hear about hockey on the most important day of the year in the NFL.

I will play devils advocate here...i turned off most sports talk today cause i just cannot take any more draft stuff , so i can see how they make a decision to take a two hour break. I believe they are on non-stop about the draft for the next 3 days , more than enough for me.

Hockey Hotline.

Thank god. Need to hear about hockey on the most important day of the year in the NFL.

How many mock drafts do you need? There are hockey playoffs going on. I'm sure if the Bills make a trade, they will break in. Other than that, just what do you expect to be said between ten and noon that wasn't said between six and ten or won't be said between noon and eight?

Hockey Hotline.

I disagree. Some of us still want to whine about Kessel trying to chop down Scott in the pre-season. YES, the !@#$ing PRE-SEASON!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

i never hear too much talk on the bisons, not that i would care, but when you only have 2 major sports, i can see a parent company not wanting to spend alot of money on the market!

Two major sports is plenty, especially when one team is in the NFL. Entercom,their parent company, must figure that we are just used to crap.

This is pretty much how I feel..Though I do have a soft spot for Howard...Kind of a nostalgia thing...Been listening, or watching him for so long now...I just like the guy... B-)

I agree Howard is fine. I've been listening to him a long time.

I swear to christ if I hear one more hillybilly sounding caller call in and say draft Johnny Manzell Im gonna throw MYSELF through a window

just wait until after the draft when they are all fuming mad calling whoever we draft junk and how we should have drafted manziel...good times, they are a comin'!

just wait until after the draft when they are all fuming mad drunk calling whoever we draft junk and how we should have drafted manziel...good times, they are a comin'!

Fixed it. Just like the post-game callers, pure comedy.

I swear to christ if I hear one more hillybilly sounding caller call in and say draft Johnny Manzell Im gonna throw MYSELF through a window

Was it Sal from Salamanca?

I called in a couple weeks ago and asked about trading Stevie Johnson. I said that if we move up to pick a receiver,we might work Stevie into the deal. Well Murph ,acted like I pizzed in his cheerios. He`s says no way the Bills trade Stevie. They are committed to stevie,yatta,yatta. Now I see they are looking to trade him if we pickup a receiver.Like right now. Bunch of Know it all.

Look everybody hates shopp other than his immediate family . So here's what u have basically two Infomercial s a day hockey hotline is Sabres ad and my god could you have two worse hosts than Peters and Sylvester? Sylvester must have a good line of bull,**** on The golf course and Petey god love him has done more with a fourth grade education than anyone I can think of .Somehow Sylvester is liked by someone in the Sabres organization probably Pegula,he's a good golfer so there's my tie in. Brian Duff and Marty Bison would be better or give Barnaby a gig with duffer,Danny Gare is better as well.The fact that Peters is also on wgrz Sunday nights is mind numbing as well must be least costly option.Morn boh should be removed from post gameing show for me is tolerable I like Howard he does seem to be out to lunch sometimes but who wouldn't be after years of doing show.Whitey does get stuck on things and that's his act you can't always have guys agreeing and alternative points of view help trying to keep it fresh.Sales has got to have a regular spot which means someone has to go. I can see shopping being sent to when to do political **** cuz he is perfectly annoying for that.He has brought bulldog down and they both should be removed from post game with Sal and Joe b replacing them. Thank god Sully's gone starting a Monday listening to the bean town B word whine twice daily was awful even the fake fights weren't entertaining. They have let young guys come in and leave and kept Shopp it might be billboard time for him ala Jauron.Murphs show another infomercial but at least its professionally done Chris Brown,Joe B,they make it alright and also I like Murphy no he's not Van but who will be .Finally we all don't have to listen as said I like bull on from noon to three ,nick mendola who is gravely missed has great podcasts so does Brad Riter so u can always go toi heart radio or tune in and get out of market stuff I do this for bull 1270 doesn't come in well were I live. Jesus that was quite a ramble bottom line lose sly,Petey,shopp, keep the rest work Sam and Joe b in more before you lose them throw shopp on Saturdays and put him on remotes till he quits. Bauch is missed as well funny funny guy mandola and him together may have been entertain.All that being saidnif I had to listenntonone more idiot call in wanting Manzel this years Clayson I would have shot myself in n the head and should have considered that before doing this. Peace

Look everybody hates shopp other than his immediate family . So here's what u have basically two Infomercial s a day hockey hotline is Sabres ad and my god could you have two worse hosts than Peters and Sylvester? Sylvester must have a good line of bull,**** on The golf course and Petey god love him has done more with a fourth grade education than anyone I can think of .Somehow Sylvester is liked by someone in the Sabres organization probably Pegula,he's a good golfer so there's my tie in. Brian Duff and Marty Bison would be better or give Barnaby a gig with duffer,Danny Gare is better as well.The fact that Peters is also on wgrz Sunday nights is mind numbing as well must be least costly option.Morn boh should be removed from post gameing show for me is tolerable I like Howard he does seem to be out to lunch sometimes but who wouldn't be after years of doing show.Whitey does get stuck on things and that's his act you can't always have guys agreeing and alternative points of view help trying to keep it fresh.Sales has got to have a regular spot which means someone has to go. I can see shopping being sent to when to do political **** cuz he is perfectly annoying for that.He has brought bulldog down and they both should be removed from post game with Sal and Joe b replacing them. Thank god Sully's gone starting a Monday listening to the bean town B word whine twice daily was awful even the fake fights weren't entertaining. They have let young guys come in and leave and kept Shopp it might be billboard time for him ala Jauron.Murphs show another infomercial but at least its professionally done Chris Brown,Joe B,they make it alright and also I like Murphy no he's not Van but who will be .Finally we all don't have to listen as said I like bull on from noon to three ,nick mendola who is gravely missed has great podcasts so does Brad Riter so u can always go toi heart radio or tune in and get out of market stuff I do this for bull 1270 doesn't come in well were I live. Jesus that was quite a ramble bottom line lose sly,Petey,shopp, keep the rest work Sam and Joe b in more before you lose them throw shopp on Saturdays and put him on remotes till he quits. Bauch is missed as well funny funny guy mandola and him together may have been entertain.All that being saidnif I had to listenntonone more idiot call in wanting Manzel this years Clayson I would have shot myself in n the head and should have considered that before doing this. Peace

Holy Long Paragraph Batman!!!

I love a drunken rant as much as the next guy but that one is a gollywhopper!!

omg. lmao.