WGR and callers

Everyone has such good things to say about Joe B, and he is great compared to a guy like Schopp, the tennis enthusiast. And I like his professional approach, but whenever Joe is asked his opinion on a guy, 9 times out of 10 he just hedges and basically says he likes him alot but there are some concerns.

I realize Joe B is a great story locally (he started as a winner of the WGR rookie contest, I think) ... but listen to Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio, or Mike Mayock, or even the Godfather, Gil Brandt. Those guys back up their opinions with conviction.

Did he?

Why spend valuable family time researching sports when you can always talk about your kids?

Plus, these guys get so much vacation time and off days it's unreal.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sal and JBus are the two that I can deal with. They don't belong on that sad excuse for a sports radio station. I think that if you paired the Bulldog with somebody else, he would probably seem adequate at least.

Edited by sodbuster

Listening to WGR at 3 with snoop and his bulldog is like rubber necking an accident on the thruway - a terrible sight but can't help but look. Todays show is a perfect example; host spends a great deal of time hoping and figuring on some way the Bills could get Evans at ninth pick. Host loves Evans. Caller gets through, and states that although he has never seen Evans play, he can tell by looking at both players that Kelvin Benjamin is quicker and more athletic. Although this caller had and took the time to call in and wait on hold; the genius never thought to look up on the Internet that Combine times on Evans were much faster than Benjamin, and that the Evans outperformed on all the other athletic tests at Combine.

But the WGR hosts manages to surpass his callers stupidity; despite the fact that the host has been advocating hard for Bills to get Evans, he has no answer to this caller as to why Evans is superior to Benjamin. He eventually mutters a response that a lot of mocks have Evans rated higher. Apparently host knows very little about the player he has just been raving about; and does not have access to the Internet either.

My belief is that the bosses at WGR ordered these two hosts to stop talking about the NHL draft and start actually talking about the NFL. Perhaps because we are one of the few and lucky cities to have an NFL franchise, the NFL, after all, only being far and away the most popular league in the US

You should have heard the calls when Jeff Tuel played his first preseason game against the other teams 3rd stringers and fans were calling in wanting to know why he wasn't involved in the QB competition between Manuel & Kolb and were ready to anoit Tuel as the starter.

Sal and JBus are the two that I can deal with. They don't belong on that sad excuse for a sports radio station. I think that if you paired the Bulldog with somebody else, he would probably seem adequate at least.

Sal has filled in on both shows when someone is on vacation and he makes the shows much better. His Saturday morning show is also really good. John Murphy's interviews and podcasts are great, IMO.

To be continued by the zombies that are calling in on why we should draft Manziel even though we have EJ Manuel......Im trying to listen to their justification and its making me wanna hurl.....

Only because when bulldog hears Manziel he automatically has a response whether the caller is negative or positive on him.

dope and bullfrog are HORRIBLE. i just refuse to listen to them.

Hard to believe a sports talk radio station in an NFL city has two hosts who know practically nothing about the sports they cover. It is painful to listen but it's not like there is another Buffalo sports talk alternative. 1270 the Fan? Aren't they CBS sports network 24/7? You have no idea how often I've thought to myself if I ever won the lottery I'd launch a competing sports talk station in Buffalo and mop the floor with these two idiots.

One thing you have to understand about Schopp and Bulldog is they willingly admit they don't know much about these sorts of things... B-)

And Schopp will tell you over and over what a drag doing his job is....like today.

I had to laugh last week when a guy called in really passionate about some guy they should draft. Kept saying something like "he's a complete football player.' Schopp asked him what school he's from and the caller didn't know! Haha

Hard to believe a sports talk radio station in an NFL city has two hosts who know practically nothing about the sports they cover. It is painful to listen but it's not like there is another Buffalo sports talk alternative. 1270 the Fan? Aren't they CBS sports network 24/7? You have no idea how often I've thought to myself if I ever won the lottery I'd launch a competing sports talk station in Buffalo and mop the floor with these two idiots.

And Schopp will tell you over and over what a drag doing his job is....like today.

I agree with this take...I'm not some kind of arrogant jerk that goes around saying he could do someones job better...I know how much it pisses me off when people do it to me in my field...But I will say, if it's just football talk...with a little adjustment and learning period I am confident I could do better than just about anyone on that Station with the possible exception of Sal... B-)

Oh yeah. Saw isn't bad. He doesn't try to play an expert... just a fan with a show. Good listen.

Art Wander had the greatest shtick

Wow that is a blast from the past. My Dad used to listen to him every afternoon. I remember him wanting to fire Levy and hire Hank Schramm,

Did he?

A recent TBN article only indicates that Joe B was an intern at the station, but I could swear they once had him on air as part of that rookie competition thing they did a few times.

I always find Sal more than listenable, and I always appreciate the veteran savvy of John Murphy.

I listen to Sal, Howard, and JBus everyday, well Sal on Saturday morning, but Mike and Bulldog can get annoying at times.

Sal is good, Jeremy is okay Howard is downright embarassing. Bulldog to whiney Schoop lack of football knowledge is annoying but he's a sports talk host so try to fake it and he does

Sal is good, Jeremy is okay Howard is downright embarassing. Bulldog to whiney Schoop lack of football knowledge is annoying but he's a sports talk host so try to fake it and he does

This is pretty much how I feel..Though I do have a soft spot for Howard...Kind of a nostalgia thing...Been listening, or watching him for so long now...I just like the guy... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS