Bills, Lions trying to trade UP to ........

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone claiming the Bills"have too many holes to move up," just because you believe that doesnt mean the Bills believe it.

Also, theres something to be said about acquiring superstars as opposed to just "starters." This team has lacked star power for a long time.

Ok bandit, and how do you know this?

You're welcome to believe me or not, either way is fine. As it happens, I used to write for the AP back when I was minoring in journalism, and I made many contacts both inside the organization and within the AP. Many of these folks are people I still speak with on a regular basis; some of them still have close ties to the organization.

I feel pretty darn confident saying that NGU was not Jim Kelly...I'll leave it at that.

Take it or leave it...up to you.

You're welcome to believe me or not, either way is fine. As it happens, I used to write for the AP back when I was minoring in journalism, and I made many contacts both inside the organization and within the AP. Many of these folks are people I still speak with on a regular basis; some of them still have close ties to the organization.

I feel pretty darn confident saying that NGU was not Jim Kelly...I'll leave it at that.

Link?

To everyone claiming the Bills"have too many holes to move up," just because you believe that doesnt mean the Bills believe it.

Also, theres something to be said about acquiring superstars as opposed to just "starters." This team has lacked star power for a long time.

I completely agree.

Well said. There really aren't that many holes on this team right now...

A great OT would make EJ , CJ and Fred dangerous weapons.

I dont really think a RT is going to do that.

A huge playmaker at WR sure would though. Someone like Evans who is ALWAYS open and inaccurate EJ can loft jump balls to even when he is covered will help a lot more than a RT.

A TE would also help more than a RT but I doubt we trade up to 3 from a TE

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/bills-making-calls-about-a-trade-to-no-1-or-no-2/

Another report about us trading up. This time, the article says that we want either Clowney or Robinson and that we're in talks with the Texans and the Rams. It says that we're trying to put them in a bidding war so we can get a better bargain. At this point, there is little being reported that I actually believe. I am sure of one thing though, and that is that this draft is going to be exciting. It seems like this year, more than years prior, we keep hearing about what the Bills might do. There are multiple scenarios out there. I'm of the belief (hope) that Whaley is just playing a masterful game of chess. We've been tied to nearly every top player in the draft. As of now, there is no pick that would truly shock me, with the exception of Dix or Manziel. If one of those two players names are called for us, I think seppuku might be my only option. Can't wait til tomorrow night!

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I dont really think a RT is going to do that.

A huge playmaker at WR sure would though. Someone like Evans who is ALWAYS open and inaccurate EJ can loft jump balls to even when he is covered will help a lot more than a RT.

A TE would also help more than a RT but I doubt we trade up to 3 from a TE

I wish for both Matthews and Evans. Matthews improves run and pass game right away . Evans does what you say he can do. except ^

I

I believe you. Just wanted to know where the HELL NGU is...

I believe you. Just wanted to know where the HELL NGU is...

Still has an active account. I'd doubt we'll hear from him/her again though...there was a seismic shift in the way/extent information was disseminated from/within the organization. It's really evident if you look at the lack of insight and high degree of speculation regarding what Buffalo would do in the draft these last 2 years.

This team was 6-10 last season. I just don't believe its 1 superstar player away, a WR at that, from turning that to 10-6 and challenging the Patriots for the AFC East. If Bills management believes that there's a serious disconnect from reality. Also, we need to factor in the moves the other 3 teams have made. Just like the Bills, they've added some players via free agency so from that perspective I suspect they all feel they've improved their rosters. So the target is always moving. Lets say for the sake of discussion the Bills move up and take Watkins, give up some choices, and for the 2 games they play New England Revis covers Watkins and takes him out of the gameplan. Now what? What's your new superstar WR doing for your offense? And no upgrade at ROT or TE because you've surrendered those picks to move up.

I just think there are so many examples where a team gave away lots of picks and assets to move up and hindsight shows it to be the team trading down that benefited most. Sure there might be situations where moving up and giving up a lot of assets worked and I'm sure somebody can think of a couple.

Some poor moves I can think of:

Atlanta traded up to take Julio Jones. Sure he's a dynamic receiver but it didn't get them to the SuperBowl

DItka bet the farm on Ricky WIlliams with the Saints. That move didn't do much for the Saints and got Mike fired.

Minnesota trades picks and players to Dallas for Herchel Walker. Worked out great for the Cowboys but not so much for the Vikings.

Washington moves up to pick RG3. Cost the Redskins the 2nd overall pick this year along with a few other picks and they are now a team with a new coach with lots of questions about the 'franchise' guy they moved up to get.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Well said. There really aren't that many holes on this team right now...

Not that many holes? TE, OT, LB, DT, and many would argue QB. Not me as of yet, but many would. That is 4 possibly 5 depending on your view point. Then add WR as many claim is also a hole. That makes 5 possibly 6 roster spots that we are missing key players. I call that a lot of holes.

Ramius, you are correct. Just because I myself or any other person on this board say there are a lot of holes to fill, it doesn't mean the Bills organization believes that this is the case. But it also doesn't mean their right.

BigPappy

This team was 6-10 last season. I just don't believe its 1 superstar player away, a WR at that, from turning that to 10-6 and challenging the Patriots for the AFC East. If Bills management believes that there's a serious disconnect from reality. Also, we need to factor in the moves the other 3 teams have made. Just like the Bills, they've added some players via free agency so from that perspective I suspect they all feel they've improved their rosters. So the target is always moving. Lets say for the sake of discussion the Bills move up and take Watkins, give up some choices, and for the 2 games they play New England Revis covers Watkins and takes him out of the gameplan. Now what? What's your new superstar WR doing for your offense? And no upgrade at ROT or TE because you've surrendered those picks to move up.

I just think there are so many examples where a team gave away lots of picks and assets to move up and hindsight shows it to be the team trading down that benefited most. Sure there might be situations where moving up and giving up a lot of assets worked and I'm sure somebody can think of a couple.

Atlanta traded up to take Julio Jones. Sure he's a dynamic receiver but it didn't get them to the SuperBowl

DItka bet the farm on Ricky WIlliams with the Saints. That move didn't do much for the Saints and got Mike fired.

Minnesota trades picks and players to Dallas for Herchel Walker. Worked out great for the Cowboys but not so much for the Vikings.

Washington moves up to pick RG3. Cost the Redskins the 2nd overall pick this year along with a few other picks and they are now a team with a new coach with lots of questions about the 'franchise' guy they moved up to get.

Well said All Pro!

Not that many holes? TE, OT, LB, DT, and many would argue QB. Not me as of yet, but many would. That is 4 possibly 5 depending on your view point. Then add WR as many claim is also a hole. That makes 5 possibly 6 roster spots that we are missing key players. I call that a lot of holes.

Ramius, you are correct. Just because I myself or any other person on this board say there are a lot of holes to fill, it doesn't mean the Bills organization believes that this is the case. But it also doesn't mean their right.

BigPappy

Well said All Pro!

I'll address each position you mentioned...

Tight End - One of the few holes I believe they have. However, I don't think Ebron is worth the #9 overall pick, especially since you can get a quality tight end like ASJ, Amaro or Niklas in the 2nd round.

Offensive Tackle - Maybe. Cordy Glenn is already a top-10 LT in the league and I only think he is going to get better. We could obviously use an upgrade at RT, but you can get one in the later rounds. Marrone is supposedly an offensive line-guru. If we believe this to be true, then he should be able to make a solid starter out of a mid-round pick.

Linebacker - We already have Alonso, Spikes, Bradham and Manny Lawson. I wouldn't consider the position a major need.

Defensive Tackle - Kyle Williams, Dareus, Allen Branch, Corbin Bryant. Not a hole at all.

Quarterback - Ask me after the season. EJ showed enough under very difficult circumstances with injuries, lack of practice time, etc. that I don't think you can consider the position a true need until you see a full (hopefully) season this year.

Agreed...

Not to mention free agency and age/injuries open up future needs you won't have the Draft picks to fill...See Atlanta last year... B-)

I'll address each position you mentioned...

Tight End - One of the few holes I believe they have. However, I don't think Ebron is worth the #9 overall pick, especially since you can get a quality tight end like ASJ, Amaro or Niklas in the 2nd round.

Offensive Tackle - Maybe. Cordy Glenn is already a top-10 LT in the league and I only think he is going to get better. We could obviously use an upgrade at RT, but you can get one in the later rounds. Marrone is supposedly an offensive line-guru. If we believe this to be true, then he should be able to make a solid starter out of a mid-round pick.

Linebacker - We already have Alonso, Spikes, Bradham and Manny Lawson. I wouldn't consider the position a major need.

Defensive Tackle - Kyle Williams, Dareus, Allen Branch, Corbin Bryant. Not a hole at all.

Quarterback - Ask me after the season. EJ showed enough under very difficult circumstances with injuries, lack of practice time, etc. that I don't think you can consider the position a true need until you see a full (hopefully) season this year.

I agree with some of what you say her Lt Dan. I am not convinced that Ebron is worthy of a #9 over all either. In my earlier posts I actually said that I thought we would trade down and pick up Ebron in the pick 15 or 16 area. I also agree with you on Cordy. He is definitely a stud player and he will get better yet and we could pick up a quality OT in the 2nd or even the 3rd rounds. I am also with you on the QB situation with the "ask me again after the season" quote. He has talent for sure. Arm strength, fast with his feet and he's smart. I just want to see it come together this year for him to be convinced he's the guy. But here is where we start to differ in opinion. Bradham is an unknown still. He has talent for sure, but i don't think he's in the top level LB. As for Spikes, there is nothing to prove that he is anything more than a 3rd down rusher and instead of the 3 down lb that we need. As for the DT, Dareus is looking at possibly being suspended for 4 games with his arrest, and Allen Branch is almost 30 and a mid level guy at best. Only 8 sacks in his career.

Everyone is entitled to opinion and everyone has one. FWIW, this is mine. I am not a Football expert by any means, like many of you I just love football.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

I agree with some of what you say her Lt Dan. I am not convinced that Ebron is worthy of a #9 over all either. In my earlier posts I actually said that I thought we would trade down and pick up Ebron in the pick 15 or 16 area. I also agree with you on Cordy. He is definitely a stud player and he will get better yet and we could pick up a quality OT in the 2nd or even the 3rd rounds. I am also with you on the QB situation with the "ask me again after the season" quote. He has talent for sure. Arm strength, fast with his feet and he's smart. I just want to see it come together this year for him to be convinced he's the guy. But here is where we start to differ in opinion. Bradham is an unknown still. He has talent for sure, but i don't think he's in the top level LB. As for Spikes, there is nothing to prove that he is anything more than a 3rd down rusher and instead of the 3 down lb that we need. As for the DT, Dareus is looking at possibly being suspended for 4 games with his arrest, and Allen Branch is almost 30 and a mid level guy at best. Only 8 sacks in his career.

Everyone is entitled to opinion and everyone has one. FWIW, this is mine. I am not a Football expert by any means, like many of you I just love football.

BigPappy

:huh: Spikes is actually the exact opposite of what you described... Enjoy the draft!