Was Manuel Whaley's choice or Nix's??

First let me say, in all honesty, that I greatly admire the character and hard-working attitude that Manuel has displayed. Absolutely exemplary!! I'm completely in his corner and really, really, REALLY hope that he's our next franchise QB.

That being said, I'd really like to know from the Peanut Gallery whether you believe that Manuel was Whaley's choice or Nix's choice. Remember now that Nix was the Bills' GM and the guy who had the last say regarding whether to select Manuel last season in R1. Was Whaley trully on board with that decision?? After seeing Manuel suffer injury after injury last season and not make it through an entire season, could Whaley have some real concerns regarding manuel's durability??

Because if Whaley wasn't or isn't as enamored with Manuel as Nix was then he just might consider other options as they become available to him.............such as possibly the next B. Favre.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say, in all honesty, that I greatly admire the character and hard-working attitude that Manuel has displayed. Absolutely exemplary!! I'm completely in his corner and really, really, REALLY hope that he's our next franchise QB.

That being said, I'd really like to know from the Peanut Gallery whether you believe that Manuel was Whaley's choice or Nix's choice. Remember now that Nix was the Bills' GM and the guy who had the last say regarding whether to select Manuel last season in R1. Was Whaley trully on board with that decision?? After seeing Manuel suffer injury after injury last season and not make it through an entire season, could Whaley have some real concerns regarding manuel's durability??

Because if Whaley wasn't or isn't as enamored with Manuel as Nix was then he just might consider other options as they become available to him.............such as possibly the next B. Favre.

Interesting thoughts. But, 99% sure Whaley picked Manuel. Last years entire draft had Whaley's blueprint all over it. At the very least, Buddy and Whaley agreed on the pick.

Knowing he was going to be the General Manager, I am sure that Whaley was on board with the selection, if it was not his altogether.

And for the 1,000th time...he has already stated that EJ Manuel IS THE BILLS QB, and they will draft accordingly to surround him with talent.

Edited by Bob Malooga

It was Whaley's draft. That's my take. I wouldn't understand why Nix would draft players Whaley disagreed with picking when Nix was on his way out.

Also, is there a player in particular you are comparing to "possibly the next B. Favre" in this draft?

Edited by The Wiz

If EJ turns out to be a good one, it was Whaley's. If he turns to be a bust, it was Nix's. :P

Seriously though, Nix never showed a penchant for trading and I think it was Whaley's influence that caused us to trade down. If we extend that logic, EJ should go down as Whaley's.

Reality I am sure is somewhere in between - Nix helped in the scouting, Whaley weighed in and then Whaley looked for the best deal in the draft.

I don't think Whaley lied when he said about 30 different times over the past 2 years that the decisions are a joint effort. I believe they really do get together on it and value each other's opinions. I don't understand why it's hard to believe. It's the best way for an organization to function at the top and I'm glad they subscribe to it.

"I don't know, and neither does anyone else around here..."

Precisely my point.

Don't ASSUME that Whaley agreed with everything that Nix wanted. Personnel guys rarely agree on the same direction to take the team. That's why there can truly only be ONE guy in charge.

Whaley might have thought that Manuel was a very good option at the time, but at the time he didn't have the very real possibility of drafting a guy like Manziel.

Whaley is going to continue to tell us that Manuel is his guy........until he isn't. Finding the best possible QB to lead this franchise should be Whaley's #1 priority.

Even if the Bills decide not to draft Manziel for whatever reason (they may not even get the opportunity) they should still consider drafting a quality QB to challenge manuel just in case he doesn't pan out or proves to be injury-prone.

If EJ turns out to be a good one, it was Whaley's. If he turns to be a bust, it was Nix's. :P

Seriously though, Nix never showed a penchant for trading and I think it was Whaley's influence that caused us to trade down. If we extend that logic, EJ should go down as Whaley's.

Reality I am sure is somewhere in between - Nix helped in the scouting, Whaley weighed in and then Whaley looked for the best deal in the draft.

Exactly

I think it was a universal decision based on all the scouts and management spending hours together hashing out the facts, participating in interviews and watching lots of tape

Edited by shibuya

The Bills are (and have been since Donahoe) an extremely collaborative organization. There is not 1 decision that is made by 1 individual. There are many, many people involved in their decision making process. This pick does not belong to an individual it belongs to the group. Ultimately, Marrone and Whaley will be accountable or credited for the pick but it was a group decision.

"WTF does it matter?" Beerball, you sound like H. Clinton.

It could matter bigtime because if Whaley (who is now completely in charge of personnel decisions) wasn't totally on board with Manuel being the team's franchise QB then he may be willing to consider more seriously his other options at QB beginning this year.

When you consider that Manuel would be considered by some to be the 8th best QB in the 2014 draft class then maybe it would be wise to acquire somebody better if the opportunity presents itself.

We're only talking about the team's franchise QB here.

"WTF does it matter?"

Whaley was in the Kirk chair for last year's draft.

Drafting a player into the league is the very definition of consensus building and Manuel was no exception. What's interesting about the consensus built around the selection of EJ is that NOBODY thought the best scenario would be for him to come in and be the immediate starter, that he was a very promising but raw prospect, with all the intangibles you want to see before taking a chance on such a player.

GO BILLS!!!

It could matter bigtime because if Whaley (who is now completely in charge of personnel decisions) wasn't totally on board with Manuel being the team's franchise QB then he may be willing to consider more seriously his other options at QB beginning this year.

When you consider that Manuel would be considered by some to be the 8th best QB in the 2014 draft class then maybe it would be wise to acquire somebody better if the opportunity presents itself.

"WTF does it matter?"

you are driving home a point that no one can disprove, but you have no reason to believe other than "well, you never know"

is it possible whaley didnt like manuel, and was forced to stake his career to a guy he doesnt believe in but has done so with a smile on his face, taking responsibility and without a hint of interest in getting out of dodge - sure.

"WTF does it matter?"

The people who need to know...know.

There are people here who will tell you, but, they don't know.

Let me try this again...WTF does it matter to you?

You don't control hiring and firing at OBD. You don't know and will never know unless Nix and Whaley sit together and tell you.

And still...WTF does it matter? What are YOU going to do with this knowledge?

Either way, be it Whaley or Nix, it has been stated more than once that we are all in on EJ. It has also been stated that they really like Thad as well. There will be no QB this year. None. If they both bomb this year though you can bet that they go in on a QB next year. If there is no progression they will not wait considering the talent we have on the roster.

FWIW, wasn't Whaley on the record, last year as saying Manuel was his choice? I seem to remember somebody, Whaley-hating, linking an article that quoted Whaley saying as much. Now, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that Buddy had no input, but as you would expect, Whaley, the GM was taking full repsonsibility/credit for picking EJ.