Good article why Bills should NOT trade up this year

Even if E.J. does turn out to be the real deal, you can't gamble again on it.

Trade down, or stay put. Take a Tackle and improve the O line, for whoever is the QB this and next year.

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-with-15-pick

Add to this, the problems E.J. has going vertical with the ball. and a deep threat may in fact do very little to help him or the team.

Edited by San-O

ya gotta know I agree with this -with the exception that Johnny falls to us. If he does and the Bills don't nab him, ,,, yes, I'm DONE with this team! -Ha! I have no faith in Mr. Gangly, 3 leg injuries, Knee-J.

ya gotta know I agree with this -with the exception that Johnny falls to us. If he does and the Bills don't nab him, ,,, yes, I'm DONE with this team! -Ha! I have no faith in Mr. Gangly, 3 leg injuries, Knee-J.

Johnny will save this franchise and bring us a Lombardi. We just have to let him.

There really is no 2015 for Whaley and most likely Marrone without a playoff season in 2014. New ownership spending upwards of 1B for the team means they have to produce now or face losing their jobs. I expect to see them gamble and that could mean trading a pick in 2015 as a result.

Who is this QB Rodak refers to? There is no Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning or RGIII in next year's draft. Hell EJ, may be better than any of the QB prospects in next year's draft. I'm not a proponent of moving up in the draft for the simple fact that this years class is rich in prospects. The Bills can really improve their team in this years draft. Next years crop doesn't look to be as prosperous, so if I'm able to swap positions and only have to give up my 1 next year then I'm fine with moving up. If I have to give up anything this year then NO.

I'm do have faith in EJ, but even so I agree with Rodak. The Bills simply cannot at this stage discount the possibility that they need to go Quarterback in the first round next year. Personally I'm not huge on any of this year's QBs but if that had been EJ's second year last year with that level of production I'd have been for drafting one of them. I'd probably still have wanted to stay away from Manziel, but I'd have been for taking someone. But you have to allow rookie Quarterbacks some development time. I think taking a one and done approach with Quarterbacks is far more likely to see you miss on a potential Franchise guy that goes on to have success in the league than it is to magically produce you a day 1 superstar unless you happen to be in draft position to do so in an Andrew Luck year.

There really is no 2015 for Whaley and most likely Marrone without a playoff season in 2014. New ownership spending upwards of 1B for the team means they have to produce now or face losing their jobs. I expect to see them gamble and that could mean trading a pick in 2015 as a result.

Sadly, this could be exactly what the current front office has in mind to make a last grasp at getting to a winning season.

If this trade up entails a WR, DE, LBer then i can envision finally being done with these losers. The new staff / FO will thank them for the supposed elite player, and hopefully proceed to build a winning team after they are gone.

"Good Article" and the name "Rodak" do not go together- the guy's a hack. If a GM is worried about trading a future pick because he fears that last year's number one may fail, that GM should be fired immediately! If you have any reservations about Manuel- you use this year's pick on a QB. If Whaley is "afraid" to part with a 2015 number 1 because of concerns about Manuel- deal with those concerns NOW! And the so-called draft "experts" are always telling us that next year's draft class is going to be a bounty of talented players. Last year we heard that Bridgewater was going to be a stud, and a top pick. Now there's a distinct possibility that he will fall right out of the first round entirely. Two years ago all of the talk centered on Matt Barkley- that sure was spot-on.

Given the Bills record of draft futility, I'm all for keeping next year's picks. Besides, they are more than a player or two away from competing for anything.

Trade up. This Front office may not be here next year or in 2016. If I am whaley I am going all in and spending the picks and getting #1. Lets say we lose out 2015 and maybe 2016 first round picks, but clowney becomes a legit superstar and helps us into the playoffs this year. Whaley can say 'I did that. I ended the 15 year drought in just my 2nd season'. Even if let go by new owner he gets another GM gig.

"Good Article" and the name "Rodak" do not go together- the guy's a hack. If a GM is worried about trading a future pick because he fears that last year's number one may fail, that GM should be fired immediately! If you have any reservations about Manuel- you use this year's pick on a QB. If Whaley is "afraid" to part with a 2015 number 1 because of concerns about Manuel- deal with those concerns NOW! And the so-called draft "experts" are always telling us that next year's draft class is going to be a bounty of talented players. Last year we heard that Bridgewater was going to be a stud, and a top pick. Now there's a distinct possibility that he will fall right out of the first round entirely. Two years ago all of the talk centered on Matt Barkley- that sure was spot-on.

Good take.

FOs simply can't make decisions based on fear. It's that simple.

Half these people who will be done with the team if they trade up and give up "too much" (whatever that is), would have left in droves the minute the details of the Bennett trade were announced back in '87.

GO BILLS!!!

"Good Article" and the name "Rodak" do not go together- the guy's a hack.

Seems to be a pattern...Timmy Graham, James Waker and now Rodak.

Those big network salaries sure do attract the talent...

Who is this QB Rodak refers to? There is no Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning or RGIII in next year's draft. Hell EJ, may be better than any of the QB prospects in next year's draft. I'm not a proponent of moving up in the draft for the simple fact that this years class is rich in prospects. The Bills can really improve their team in this years draft. Next years crop doesn't look to be as prosperous, so if I'm able to swap positions and only have to give up my 1 next year then I'm fine with moving up. If I have to give up anything this year then NO.

You know what the best QBs in the 2015 draft will be? Wow. That's impressive.

It's a good article and it's spot on. But you're point about prospects in this draft is the most impt reason why not to trade up. We need players. We've got tons on needs. Stay put and take BPA.

Even if E.J. does turn out to be the real deal, you can't gamble again on it.

Trade down, or stay put. Take a Tackle and improve the O line, for whoever is the QB this and next year.

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-with-15-pick

Add to this, the problems E.J. has going vertical with the ball. and a deep threat may in fact do very little to help him or the team.

You know that was a great read and I hope OBD was paying attention.

And I agree with you.

I disagree ... Whaley is seen as a solid up and coming GM. Granted he will start to prove himself or not with this draft. Doing something cute will hurt his cause. He has proven to be very astute with trades so far.

May be potential buyers (who have shown genuine interest directly with the Bills) have already requested the Bills from doing anything to that effect.