OT/TE or TE/OT in first two rounds??

My read on Whaley and the Bills is that they desperately want to help out Manuel in this draft. They have set themselves up well so that they are not pidgeon-holed into taking a certain position to fill a great need. If they are going to go "all in" on Manuel and not bring in any real competition for him then the smart move is to give him better protection and more weapons to work with.

That's why I see the Bills drafting an OT and a TE in the first two rounds of this draft. They have a big need at DE as well, but I don't see them addressing that need until at least R3. Trading up for Clowney or Watkins makes little sense to me because if they do that then they will not likely be able to fill the other holes that they have (they will simply have to give up too much!!) and that could advesely affect Manuel's development in 2014.

The most likely scenario for the Bills is that they select an OT in R1 and a TE in R2 or vice versa. What I'd like to know from all of you is in which scenario do you think they would come away with the best players?? (I think that Whaley and the Bills think through this assessment.) In other words, are they better off with TE Ebron in R1 and a lesser OT in R2 (possibly T. Richardson, primarily a RT or Kouandjto) or are they better off taking one of the stud OTs in R1 (possibly Matthews or Lewan) and then a lesser TE (possibly Sefertan-Jenkins or Amaro)??

See the attached link for one man's assessment of the top 50 players in the 2014 draft. It will give you an idea of where the best OTs and TEs rank among the top 50 players.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/draft365/rankings.

I think would be happier with OT Matthews/TESefertan-Jenkins or OT Lewan/TESefertan-Jenkins than TE Ebron/OTC. Kouandjto for instance.

I like the idea of being able to better protect Manuel first. Matthews would be an absolute steal at #9 overall IMHO because of his versatility, size, length, and pedigree. He's good enough to be taken #2 overall. Some draft experts actually think that Lewan will a better player than Matthews, which says a lot about Lewan.

Your thoughts??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They have set themselves up well so that they are not pidgeon-holed into taking a certain position to fill a great need"

"because if they do that then they will not likely be able to fill the other holes that they have"

I agree the premise that helping EJ out is the way to go. That being said, we can't say the above on one hand, and something different on the other. We need to be committed to doing things that will make an impact this year. IMO if Watkins is that guy, go get him, but try to avoid giving the second round pick up. As for the TE/T issue: Ebron is a great talent, but after hearing Polian talk about how immature he is, I am not enamored with picking him in the first part of the draft. I think if we stay at 9 we take an OL who can make an impact immediately. The "safe" pick, because I don't know that Ebron does much this year. If we proceed this way, then ASJ sounds good to me in round 2. We could possibly get Kareem Martin to play DE in third?, if not another WR? not sure on that one.

Edited by 75Bills

Partly depends on who is available when the Bills are on the clock. If Robinson or Matthews is available, draft him. If not, go w/ Ebron. In my opinion, Ebron is not a top 10 pick. Buffalo may consider trading back a few spots and take him there. W/ a trade the Bills may pick up another 2nd round pick. I can't wait for the draft. It'll be fun to watch.

75Bills, unfortunately, you can't always have your cake an eat it too. Watkins is most likely going to be selected by somebody amoung the top 3-4 picks. For the Bills to move down from #9 to #3 or #4 it's likely going to cost them the #9 overall pick, next year's R1 pick, and a R2 pick this year. That's a very steep price to pay for a WR, no matter how good he is.

IMHO, the Bills have a lot of good WRs, but nobody great. I think they can get by with St. Johnson, Mi. Williams, Woods, and Goodwin (alreay a better group than last year) while providing another receiving threat at TE and a much better O-line with the addition of Matthews or Lewan. The improvement of the O-line alone makes everybody else better on offense. It gives Manuel more time to survey the field and for the receivers to get open and it helps to provide more considtent openings for Jackson and Spiller. Once Spiller gets to the outside or past the first wave of defenders he's one missed tackle away from taking it to the house.

I'm almost never in favor of putting all of my eggs in one basket for one player.............unless that player is a franchise QB.

Partly depends on who is available when the Bills are on the clock. If Robinson or Matthews is available, draft him. If not, go w/ Ebron. In my opinion, Ebron is not a top 10 pick. Buffalo may consider trading back a few spots and take him there. W/ a trade the Bills may pick up another 2nd round pick. I can't wait for the draft. It'll be fun to watch.

I agree with this.................

Well, I'm not sold on either order for their Draft, so much depends on what happens leading up to and the day of the Draft...but if I'm compelled to choose in this order it would be OT and then TE. Such as Lewan and Niklas or Matthews and Niklas. Either way, NO Ebron and NO ASJ and NO Amaro...another thread had their metrics / analytics posted, and while I wasn't not a Ebron supporter before that info-graphic and I leaned toward Niklas, that information sold me on saying NO to any of the "top" rated TEs except Niklas....however, there's a *chance that neither Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan are available at 9th and if Ebron is not believed to worth a top 10 pick by the BILLS, you've got a problem if you're pigeon holed into a OT at that spot....another reason why I don't think the BILLS stay at 9, one way or another.

If Robinson or Matthews is available you take them or make a trade down, picking up extra picks. If not you either try to trade down or take the BPA based on need. Not sold on any TE or Lewan at #9. Later in the 1st in a trade down, yes. I Like Niklas in the 2nd or ASJ.

BPA (which could well be an OT) in the 1st, TE in the 2nd.

GO BILLS!!!

I am a Ebron fan, but this is probably the best overall idea. The only problem is if you don't get an OT in the 1st (which I still am not a huge fan of), can you pass on an OT in the 2nd for a TE?

I'm warming up to the idea of Ebron rd 1.. I watched a lot of tape on him lately and he reminds me most of antonio gates.. A young Antonio Gates.

That's why I like him. He's not a freak athlete but there are no other TEs in this draft who averaged nearly 16 yards/ catch, had a long of 79, and had 199 yards in a game. He can be explosive. But I guess it comes down to best values.

I dont see us having to take a Tight End at all. I just dont think they are that high on Ebron. I think they are going OT in the first round unless someone amazing drops. I also think that Matthews, Lewan, and Robinson are off the board. I really am starting to think that Zach Martin will be the pick at # 9. I've always been high on him. I like him more than Lewan and Ebron. If the Bills dont take Ebron they are not going to take a TE at all in my opinion. I actually think that the 2nd round is an excellent time to take a Defensive End.

My prediction for the Bills draft is:

1st- Zach Martin OT Notre Dame

2nd- Scott Crichton DE Oregon State

3rd- Best Available WR, CB, RB

I dont see us having to take a Tight End at all. I just dont think they are that high on Ebron. I think they are going OT in the first round unless someone amazing drops. I also think that Matthews, Lewan, and Robinson are off the board. I really am starting to think that Zach Martin will be the pick at # 9. I've always been high on him. I like him more than Lewan and Ebron. If the Bills dont take Ebron they are not going to take a TE at all in my opinion. I actually think that the 2nd round is an excellent time to take a Defensive End.

Man, that would be a bummer draft. No offense.

I think we are taking an OT in the 2nd round. Kouandjio, Morgan Moses, Juwuan James, or Richardson... one of them will be available and an immediate upgrade at RT. Bills can go so many different ways in the 1st round.

I like that. Who do you want in the 1st?

There are obvously lots of different slection scenarios in front of us that could happen that will affect what we do.

Robinson will be selected within the top 5 picks so he won't come into play for us. If Matthews and Lewan are also gone by #9 overall then I think the Bills will need to rethink all of this. (That is a very real possibility by the way). I would be in favor of trading down a few spots while picking up at least an additional R2 pick if that's the case.

Our best case scenario would be to have at least three QBs selected prior to the #9 pick (since we're supposedly not looking to select a QB, at least not in the first few rounds). Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, and Carr are all possibilities.

I expect the Bills to take the BPA (who is not a QB) when they select, but I really believe they are hoping that that player is an offensive player (i.e. OT/TE/WR) so that they can help out Manuel.

I don't know about Chrichton - what I've read sounds an awful lot like Chris Kelsay. Now to be clear, I always thought Kelsay was pretty good, but I know I was in the minority.

I like that. Who do you want in the 1st?

I'd be happy with any of the top 6 guys. Wouldn't trade up for anyone other than Clowney or Watkins. If top 6 are gone by pick #9 and Bills didn't trade up, I'd prefer a trade down. With all these trade-up rumors and Bills doing nothing to squash them, you're gonna have one disappointed fanbase come Thursday night if Bills stay put and take Ebron, Lewan or Zack Martin. I think a guy like Beckham Jr. can have just as much impact as Ebron, Lewan, or Martin and can be had later in the 1st round.

My read on Whaley and the Bills is that they desperately want to help out Manuel in this draft. They have set themselves up well so that they are not pidgeon-holed into taking a certain position to fill a great need. If they are going to go "all in" on Manuel and not bring in any real competition for him then the smart move is to give him better protection and more weapons to work with.

That's why I see the Bills drafting an OT and a TE in the first two rounds of this draft. They have a big need at DE as well, but I don't see them addressing that need until at least R3. Trading up for Clowney or Watkins makes little sense to me because if they do that then they will not likely be able to fill the other holes that they have (they will simply have to give up too much!!) and that could advesely affect Manuel's development in 2014.

The most likely scenario for the Bills is that they select an OT in R1 and a TE in R2 or vice versa. What I'd like to know from all of you is in which scenario do you think they would come away with the best players?? (I think that Whaley and the Bills think through this assessment.) In other words, are they better off with TE Ebron in R1 and a lesser OT in R2 (possibly T. Richardson, primarily a RT or Kouandjto) or are they better off taking one of the stud OTs in R1 (possibly Matthews or Lewan) and then a lesser TE (possibly Sefertan-Jenkins or Amaro)??

See the attached link for one man's assessment of the top 50 players in the 2014 draft. It will give you an idea of where the best OTs and TEs rank among the top 50 players.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/draft365/rankings.

I think would be happier with OT Matthews/TESefertan-Jenkins or OT Lewan/TESefertan-Jenkins than TE Ebron/OTC. Kouandjto for instance.

I like the idea of being able to better protect Manuel first. Matthews would be an absolute steal at #9 overall IMHO because of his versatility, size, length, and pedigree. He's good enough to be taken #2 overall. Some draft experts actually think that Lewan will a better player than Matthews, which says a lot about Lewan.

Your thoughts??

I like your thoughts overall. I have been against taking OT at #9 for a while. But, slowly moving away from that stance. Anyways, back to your question. I think the 2nd AND 3rd round are deep at TE and OT. I think we can do exactly what you are saying with a TE and OT in rounds 2 and 3 and go BPA in round 1. But overall, I agree Manuel will get a strong OT and more weapons in the draft.

Ideally for me I would LOVE to see Evans at #9. Then Amaro or ASJ in round 2. I prefer Amaro. Then in round 3 Ja'Wuan James OT from Tennessee or a better OT. Not sure if Evans will be there then.