...And just like that highest paid no more

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the Bills put the transition tag on him they could have done just that. I think it was a card they should have played.

i understand what your saying, but Marrone has said many times he wants players that want to play for Buffalo...not that I know what was offered to Byrd, but if he really wanted to stay in Buffalo he would have found a way...

Edited by Tsaikotic

Only stupid teams pay safeties that much money. Would sure hate to be a Seahawks fan right now.

They should have let him walk and let another idiotic team sign him like the Saints did with Byrd. Then replace him with a cheap scrub like the Bills are going to do.

Enjoy your super bowl and exciting team for years to come, you clowns. Just know you'll never feel the joy of unused cap space like we do.

Well, I thought there was enough truth to be funny, and didn't take you too seriously, especially the bolded part. :lol:

I'm on the fence about Byrd. I don't think we could make him stay, and there's a limit to how much you give any one player. That said, I wish we could have been able to get something for him somehow.

The bottom line is we need playmakers to compete, and make watching much more enjoyable. I hope we find a couple gems in the craft like we did with Byrd.

If Byrd wanted to be here he would have found a common ground. Unfortunately not signing him earlier and then tagging him caused irrepairable damage IMO. Either way it doesn't matter, he's gone and it's time to move forward. With that being said I have 2 sons that live in Louisiana and although the Bills come first they do pull for the Saints and that's alright but they also know to never bring up Byrd's name to me ever. As far as I'm concerned I'm glad that there's no more Byrd **** to deal with and hope that his career blows from here on out. Ps, I was alright with the Saints before all this but now I hope the Falcons throttle them this year in both games and it's enough to keep them out of the play-offs.

Boy, cannot wait until you post up a link for that BS by OBD. Thanks in advance!!

Skipped 10 games with a mystery ailment. Did you forget that? And the Bills paid $8M for that. :angry:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

wow some people here get really offended by sarcasm. He is no longer a bill and who cares...let it go, the cold never bothered him anyway! (i forget who had the original frozen reference in a prior thread, so i can't take credit)

Skipped 10 games with a mystery ailment. Did you forget that? And the Bills paid $8M for that. :angry:

i believe you actually mean started 10 (and played in 11, and was held out of one by the bills after he said he was good).... your point may remain the same, but for accuracies sake....

Edited by NoSaint

"........New Orleans safety Jairus Byrd received a six-year, $54 million deal in free agency, when the Saints plucked Byrd away from Buffalo in March. Byrd’s contract has $26.3 million in guaranteed money........"

http://overthecap.co...Bills&Year=2014

Mario Williams $18,800,000

======>>>>>$9,000,000 would fit in right here

Steve Johnson $8,500,000

Marcell Dareus $6,493,232

Kyle Williams $6,250,000

Eric Wood $5,950,000

CJ Spiller $5,916,666

Leodis McKelvin $4,575,000

Aaron Williams $4,231,209

Would you want to have your second highest paid player be a guy who takes off 5 games a year?

That info makes me want to puke. Cut or trade Stevie NOW! No way in hell is he worth that much per year. and I love the fact Byrd's contract got topped. He wasn't worth the money

I should really ignore this garbage, but I've been drinking and idiocy pisses me off and I feel compelled to address it. But you can prove me the idiot by answering a few questions: How much did the Bills offer Byrd, how much would they have had to pay to get him to sign before testing free agency, and did he give the Bills a chance to match the Saints offer?

My point isn't to defend the FO. It's just that if you can't answer these questions you're just whining like a small child. If you can answer, please do, because I'm very curious, as are many Bills fans who I'm sure will read your response. Thanks.

Take it easy there buddy. Not sure why you're drunk on a Monday night/Tuesday morning but I hope you're alright.

I agree that there haven't been any reliable reports of how much the Bills offered him. The three year 30m offer was just a rumour that was in fact hinted at being false by Byrd's camp if I recall. I don't think the Bills offered him a better deal than the Saints did, especially not last year, but that's just reading between the lines and guessing on my part.

What I'm saying is that they should have franchised him. It gave them more time to work out a deal, either with him or another team, if they were inclined to do so. Regardless, you want facts...here are a couple:

1. Everyone is so sure he was feigning injury, yet he also wanted to play in the Cleveland game but our genius coach kept him out.

2. We will have more than 8.3m in cap space or could have easily made that room this year (byrds franchise number)

3. Byrd at that price for 5 games (which again is just conjecture on anyone's part) is still better than LETTING HIM WALK FOR NOTHING!!!! He is a really good player and could have made a difference even in those 5 games. Especially if we like to believe that the Bills are going to push for a wild card spot this year.

4. This so-called message it sends by keeping a player who wants to leave (which he also never stated) isn't any worse than the message it sends when you let a player dictate his future even though you hold the cards.

Ok, number 4 is more of an opinion not a fact. But you see my point. If you take emotion out if this and strictly look at it in black and white terms of winning football games, this was a stupid move by the Bills. Any defense of it, and you're just making excuses for them.

i believe you actually mean started 10 (and played in 11, and was held out of one by the bills after he said he was good).... your point may remain the same, but for accuracies sake....

You are correct. I made a mistake. He did play 11.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3. Byrd at that price for 5 games (which again is just conjecture on anyone's part) is still better than LETTING HIM WALK FOR NOTHING!!!! He is a really good player and could have made a difference even in those 5 games. Especially if we like to believe that the Bills are going to push for a wild card spot this year.

4. This so-called message it sends by keeping a player who wants to leave (which he also never stated) isn't any worse than the message it sends when you let a player dictate his future even though you hold the cards.

Ok, number 4 is more of an opinion not a fact. But you see my point. If you take emotion out if this and strictly look at it in black and white terms of winning football games, this was a stupid move by the Bills. Any defense of it, and you're just making excuses for them.

You can't take emotion out of it. These are people and their livelihoods. To let a player go that isn't totally commited to what you are trying to do isn't always stupid. Sure he is good and better than what we have at the position. He isn't Earl Thomas, the money wasn't sat on - it was used to upgrade the team, and the Bills negotiated on good faith. Number 4 has 2 sides to it. Holding a player hostage can cause problems in the locker room. There are limits but letting a player dictate his future happens from time to time. It can be abused by the players but I don't see this as the case. Byrd wanted to go to a winner. Would he have laid it all out there on another 1 year deal? We don't know but if we use last year as the measuring stick then it would be safe to assume no.

I was in favor of resigning him too. It takes 2 people to make a deal. Both sides have to want it. Byrd didn't want it so there is no deal. Not everything has to be someone's fault. Part of my reasoning was that he wouldn't have been the highest paid for long with salaries going up as fast as they are. That apparently didn't matter as much as going to a winning team did. I don't fault the Bills for their efforts or allowing Byrd to go look for a deal, and I don't fault Byrd for wanting out. C'est la Vie.

Take it easy there buddy. Not sure why you're drunk on a Monday night/Tuesday morning but I hope you're alright.

I agree that there haven't been any reliable reports of how much the Bills offered him. The three year 30m offer was just a rumour that was in fact hinted at being false by Byrd's camp if I recall. I don't think the Bills offered him a better deal than the Saints did, especially not last year, but that's just reading between the lines and guessing on my part.

What I'm saying is that they should have franchised him. It gave them more time to work out a deal, either with him or another team, if they were inclined to do so. Regardless, you want facts...here are a couple:

1. Everyone is so sure he was feigning injury, yet he also wanted to play in the Cleveland game but our genius coach kept him out.

2. We will have more than 8.3m in cap space or could have easily made that room this year (byrds franchise number)

I'm ok. I just wanted to play on my pan pipes and drink some wine. I actually found your last paragraph somewhat amusing, and I don't take issue with you being of the opinion that they should have tagged him. I just don't like the bold assertion that they weren't willing to pay when we really don't know if that's the case.

You can't take emotion out of it. These are people and their livelihoods. To let a player go that isn't totally commited to what you are trying to do isn't always stupid. Sure he is good and better than what we have at the position. He isn't Earl Thomas, the money wasn't sat on - it was used to upgrade the team, and the Bills negotiated on good faith. Number 4 has 2 sides to it. Holding a player hostage can cause problems in the locker room. There are limits but letting a player dictate his future happens from time to time. It can be abused by the players but I don't see this as the case. Byrd wanted to go to a winner. Would he have laid it all out there on another 1 year deal? We don't know but if we use last year as the measuring stick then it would be safe to assume no.

I was in favor of resigning him too. It takes 2 people to make a deal. Both sides have to want it. Byrd didn't want it so there is no deal. Not everything has to be someone's fault. Part of my reasoning was that he wouldn't have been the highest paid for long with salaries going up as fast as they are. That apparently didn't matter as much as going to a winning team did. I don't fault the Bills for their efforts or allowing Byrd to go look for a deal, and I don't fault Byrd for wanting out. C'est la Vie.

You are assuming a lot here. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, and I'm not saying you're right. What I'm saying is that it is enough to go by just facts and conclude that not re-signing him was a bad move.

It is not a fact that:

1. he wasn't committed to what the bills are doing

2. the money was used to upgrade the team - if you look at the alternative of not signing those guys and franchising him

3. holding him hostage would cause problems in the locker room

4. byrd wanted to go to a winner (maybe he just wanted to get paid..all hypothetical)

5. byrd didn't want to re-sign (he stated he wanted to test FA and was open to re-signing with the bills)

Also, please give me some examples where a team (preferably one with a competent FO) let go of an all-pro for nothing even though they could have franchised him and didn't have a blue-chipper waiting in the wings to replace him.

Fact remains, this team is worse off without him, and they let him walk for nothing when they didn't have to.

true fans, support their players injured or healthy.

if you ever tried playing a team sport with PF I am sure you would have a different view. Myself I never played safety with PF but I did have it for 2 years it was effing brutal. Walking to a car could be tough at times.

What's next hang Fred for his injuries. Everyone here myself included has opinions, but again in a team spOrt when a player is dogging players know, the coach knows, and this case the FO knew Byrd was hurt. And, came back when he could. he had everyone on the teams support. if you can show something by the Bills that contradicts that by all means post it up. again I have seen nothing. Although there are some butt hurt fans complaining that he left for money. Why not? I would especially playing for a crap team for 4 straight years.

For some reason I believe Sean Payton can judge character too. hence the contract. We are not talking fat Albert here.