Bills defense in 2014 - personnel fit to Schwartz scheme

Poor choice if he was, he is an average player.

It is clear he has no impact at all. Stats don't lie, with or without him. He has no added value at all. There is no way to show he makes the Bills better. Not one way.

He is classic, hard to play against, but easy to beat type of player.

Oh sure there is...there's his sack & tackle numbers, which are very good among DTs (2nd in the NFL in sacks by a DT with 10.5, 6th among DLmen in combined tackles, & 11th among DLmen in solo tackles). Then there's the abstract stuff, like this from Grantland:

http://grantland.com...imated-monster/

According to Football Outsiders’ game-charting numbers, only Geno Atkins and Ndamukong Suh had more quarterback hurries among defensive tackles, and only J.J. Watt allowed fewer average yards on run tackles among defensive linemen.

And this from Football Outsiders:

http://www.buffaloru...ers-respect-too

"At Football Outsiders, one of our jobs is to unearth underrated players and tell you why they're special," Farrar writes. "This week, the spotlight goes in Buffalo's Kyle Williams - the fifth-year defensive tackle has put up Successes (down and distance stops) in each of the eight pass plays in his direction and 43 of the 52 run plays. Opposing backs are averaging just 1.9 yards per play against him, and only Ndamukong Suh has more sacks among linemen who play tackle most of the time than Williams' five."

And from the convoluted metrics of Advanced NFL Stats, this:

http://wp.advancedfo...s=DT&season=reg

I admit that one takes some researching to see quite what they're measuring, but the point is nevertheless the same: Williams can quite clearly be measured among the most impactful DTs in the game. Now, there is some merit to your assertion that an impactful DT doesn't necessarily lead to team wins, which is a different argument altogether.

Edited by thebandit27

Oh sure there is...there's his sack & tackle numbers, which are very good among DTs. Then there's the abstract stuff, like this from Grantland:

http://grantland.com...imated-monster/

According to Football Outsiders’ game-charting numbers, only Geno Atkins and Ndamukong Suh had more quarterback hurries among defensive tackles, and only J.J. Watt allowed fewer average yards on run tackles among defensive linemen.

And this from Football Outsiders:

http://www.buffaloru...ers-respect-too

"At Football Outsiders, one of our jobs is to unearth underrated players and tell you why they're special," Farrar writes. "This week, the spotlight goes in Buffalo's Kyle Williams - the fifth-year defensive tackle has put up Successes (down and distance stops) in each of the eight pass plays in his direction and 43 of the 52 run plays. Opposing backs are averaging just 1.9 yards per play against him, and only Ndamukong Suh has more sacks among linemen who play tackle most of the time than Williams' five."

And from the convoluted metrics of Advanced NFL Stats, this:

http://wp.advancedfo...s=DT&season=reg

I admit that one takes some researching to see quite what they're measuring, but the point is nevertheless the same: Williams can quite clearly be measured among the most impactful DTs in the game. Now, there is some merit to your assertion that an impactful DT doesn't necessarily lead to team wins, which is a different argument altogether.

Actually, I don't think it takes much research at all. It is READILY apparent that few DTs control their gap with the consistency of Kyle Williams.

He's a classic hard to play against, hard to beat player.

If I may coin a phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me guess, you were peering through the window when his dog pooped on your lawn and he didn't clean it up.

No, he is just not that good, like Fitzpatrick not that good. When everyone said he was good, I said he was bad, and people like you asked me if Fitzpatrick actually shat on my lawn.

Kyle Williams is the most overrated player in the NFL. Led the league in going offsides 2 years ago too. What does that tell you? He guesses a lot. He guesses wrong a lot.

Actually, I don't think it takes much research at all. It is READILY apparent that few DTs control their gap with the consistency of Kyle Williams.

If I may coin a phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

Dude, running up the middle just does not get the most years. It is a simple fact, it is where the most people are.

He does not demand double teams. They run the ball where the double teams and extra blockers are. Kyle WIlliams is easily handled by 1 guy.

If I may coin a phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

For clarity's sake, I meant that the link directly above the statement you bolded requires some research to understand their particular metrics. As far as the eyeball test goes, I have to agree that Williams is extremely disruptive.

At the same time, I don't want to completely dismiss Security's points, which I think can be summed up by Giff Smith in the Grantland piece:

“Anytime you’re on the center or a shade, you’re drawing a lot more double-teams, and I think it limited the success Kyle could have. Kyle’s a natural playmaker, so you try to keep your playmakers in a one-on-one type deal rather than as a run-stopper, A-gap plugger.”

No, he is just not that good, like Fitzpatrick not that good. When everyone said he was good, I said he was bad, and people like you asked me if Fitzpatrick actually shat on my lawn.

Kyle Williams is the most overrated player in the NFL. Led the league in going offsides 2 years ago too. What does that tell you? He guesses a lot. He guesses wrong a lot.

Dude, running up the middle just does not get the most years. It is a simple fact, it is where the most people are.

He does not demand double teams. They run the ball where the double teams and extra blockers are. Kyle WIlliams is easily handled by 1 guy.

Alright, I got "duded."

I won't belabor the point any longer. You either don't know what you're watching or you don't know what you're talking about.

GO BILLS!!!

For clarity's sake, I meant that the link directly above the statement you bolded requires some research to understand their particular metrics. As far as the eyeball test goes, I have to agree that Williams is extremely disruptive.

At the same time, I don't want to completely dismiss Security's points, which I think can be summed up by Giff Smith in the Grantland piece:

“Anytime you’re on the center or a shade, you’re drawing a lot more double-teams, and I think it limited the success Kyle could have. Kyle’s a natural playmaker, so you try to keep your playmakers in a one-on-one type deal rather than as a run-stopper, A-gap plugger.”

This is a GREAT point. And the reason why the LB fits behind KW must work. Our LB play vs. the run has been abysmal for years now, especially in the middle. Not taking anything away from Kiko when I say that, either.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a GREAT point. And the reason why the LB fits behind KW must work. Our LB play vs. the run has been abysmal for years now, especially in the middle. Not taking anything away from Kiko when I say that, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly...I mean, there's no single better human being in the NFL than Arthur Moats--and I mean that with the greatest sincerity--but watching him (and sometimes Kiko as well) leak away from their gap responsibility was harrowing. Don't even get me started on Nick Barnett and Kelvin Shepperd before them...

I would demand a trade if I was as good as some think Kyle Williams is. 8 years of being on the worst run defense in the NFL. I bet there would not be many takers. Not in a trade. He has not shown to be a leader either. He has Dareus next to him.

I agree somewhat Security. Although I don't hate him as much as you do. I agree that he is severely over rated and does nothing for stopping the run. Which, if you had a Patrick Willis playing ILB and a good defense regardless, his pass rushing skills would be fine. But the fact is, we don't have a really good defense (or at least haven't in some time) and out run defense is atrocious as well as out line backing play. A DT on a team such as ours should stop the run. He doesn't.

Hilarious calling Kyle Williams dominant. He gets dominated almost all game long except for guessing right a few times. He is too small and has been the anchor of the worst team in football stopping the run over the 8 years he has been a Buffalo Bills player.

They would better by cutting him. Addition by Subtraction.

Seriously?

And you know what they ask him to do ? No you don't.

He isn't a plugger NT and I'm guessing none of his coaches ever mistook him for one.

Last time the Bills had a winning record they were 6th against the run. BEfore Kyle Williams. The one constant of this crappy team is the inability to stop the run and Kyle Williams being congratulated for anchoring the worst team in the NFL against the run.

Hilarious post! Post of the year!

Hilarious calling Kyle Williams dominant. He gets dominated almost all game long except for guessing right a few times. He is too small and has been the anchor of the worst team in football stopping the run over the 8 years he has been a Buffalo Bills player.

He actually sucks, he gets Ruben Brown love. IT is silly to even think he is serviceable.

Rank against the run:

2013 - 28th

2012 - 32nd

2011 - 27th --> Kyle WIlliams only played in 5 games this year, funny how the best in the last 4 years was when he was not playing

2010 - 32nd

Also, in 2011, the Bills averaged 138.4 per game with him, 139.2 without him. He has no impact at all . They actually had 2 games without him where let up less than 100 yards that year, and then numbers got drastically inflated by a 254 yard game at the end of the year when the Bills gave up.

It is clear they were better without him.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Good read. I read his article about the Wide 9,written before we signed Spikes. Afterwards, when I was looking for how Schwartz was going to use Spikes, he mentioned that the way Schwartz uses his MLB is like a NT ad I thought "this looks like a perfect fit!"

What I like about the setup he described is how similar to Mike Pettine's D-line this theory sounds. It jives with the story that the language is staying the same, and Lawson's new designation as LB/DE hybrid makes a lot more sense if he is supposed to be on the line of scrimmage constantly as the SLB, and would be a backup plan for an edge rusher if Hughes goes down.

I do also expect that some Wide 9 will make an appearance this year in obvious pass situations, since it's a way of getting a pass rush without blitzing, something Schwartz tends not to do.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Seriously. If official statistics, PFF grades and repeat Pro Bowl appearances aren't enough to sway the man, we're all wasting our time trying to convince someone who has replaces one reality and substituted it with his own.

Last time the Bills had a winning record they were 6th against the run. BEfore Kyle Williams. The one constant of this crappy team is the inability to stop the run and Kyle Williams being congratulated for anchoring the worst team in the NFL against the run.

Maybe he will have better luck in Schwartzes 4-3 under .

I think once the Bills have REAL linebackers the D line across the board will be having much more fun sticking to their assignments and not worry about what is behind them protecting the rest of the field .

security .. i cant hate on ya because of you educated opinion.

But i disagree .

If Kyle looks weak sauce to you its because he does stay to the play call. He is very accountable.

And i am sure that play calling can make an individual player seemingly less valuable too .

I would guess Kyle does nearly exactly what is asked of him.

That said i think Jim's defense is rather pleased to have him.

Now Security you should keep in mind your manners and stay on topic. Respect the OP !

been drooling all day to get home to read this when i had some free time. now I can. I don't know if I will have anything to add, but cant' wait for this.

Damn straight brother.

Yolo, you done us good.

I love this stuff . I could read these types of details till the sun goes down . The more i know about the game , and specifically about Bills the more fun i am having.

Thanks fellas

Edited by 3rdand12

Maybe he will have better luck in Schwartzes 4-3 under .

I think once the Bills have REAL linebackers the D line across the board will be having much more fun sticking to their assignments and not worry about what is behind them protecting the rest of the field .

security .. i cant hate on ya because of you educated opinion.

But i disagree .

If Kyle looks weak sauce to you its because he does stay to the play call. He is very accountable.

And i am sure that play calling can make an individual player seemingly less valuable too .

I would guess Kyle does nearly exactly what is asked of him.

That said i think Jim's defense is rather pleased to have him.

Now Security you should keep in mind your manners and stay on topic. Respect the OP !

Damn straight brother.

Yolo, you done us good.

I love this stuff . I could read these types of details till the sun goes down . The more i know about the game , and specifically about Bills the more fun i am having.

Thanks fellas

Yep I am going through football withdrawal... I like reading all this stuff too... not an X's and 0's guru though so like to get everyone's thoughts on it

I thought this was interesting... discusses a 4-3 "Under" base scheme based on personnel from 2013 and FA additions

http://forgedinbuffa...int-4-3-fronts/

Very cool article, I would be very enthused if we ran this defense considering the D we ran last year and it's the D that seattle runs which I'm a big fan of.

You clearly are blind :doh: :doh: :doh:

Poor choice if he was, he is an average player.

It is clear he has no impact at all. Stats don't lie, with or without him. He has no added value at all. There is no way to show he makes the Bills better. Not one way.

He is classic, hard to play against, but easy to beat type of player.

Trolling