Who believes in Manuel?

Did you hit your head?

No need to rush to judgement after almost 1 season

better? Should we start a list of worst rookie QB to never make it and list of worst rookie QB to make it to SB's?

didn't Cam Newton throw for 4000 yards in each of his first two seasons?

Not sure that's a good comparison.

I'm not sure I want EJ to be a passing QB. You need a balanced attack.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better? Should we start a list of worst rookie QB to never make it and list of worst rookie QB to make it to SB's?

You're right. I want a tackling QB.

I'm starting to think you hit your head.

huh?

What do you want him to be then? Last time I checked, you want your qb to be able to pass the ball.

:thumbdown:

Wow, what an insightful critique.

So you like him??

Me? 13%, at best. I see no 'IT' factor at all in him, which is the most important intangible, IMO. He may kick around for years as a career back up, but I say draft another one they like early.

So you see no magical nonsense clues that he'll be great, among the most important magical nonsense?

Tell me this: did Joe Flacco look like he had "it" all along? Or did he look like he had a great defense, did he mature, did he learn to use weapons? News flash, the man has hardware, whether or not anyone thinks he has "it."

I believe strongly that EJ can lead a good team in the playoffs, and we'll get our chance to see who's right over the next year or two.

I am still in wait and see mode.

And that's the most reasonable answer anyone can make here.

Please Goggle Phil Simms.

The goggles, zey do nothing! :flirt:

I see such a mixed result in views of our #1 pick from last year that I am curious as to who actually believes in him and why or why not.

IMHO I believe in the kid. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. Minus a couple "learning curve" injuries I think EJ is our man. He has all the tools and Buffalo seems poised to put weapons around him and I think he can get it done. Am I in the minority or majority here?

I don't believe he was NFL ready coming out of college, but he had the most upside of any QB in that draft. For that reason I didn't mind the pick and who knows, maybe the Bills truly wanted Kolb to be the man last season and have EJ watch and learn. I think he will continue to progress, but this year won't be a break out year. His development will take patience, but he is good enough at the point and time to win games, just not on his arm alone...

50/50.

I can see fans backing him 100%, but fans that say he looked great as a rookie have questionable memories, etc.

I think he showed some glimmers, I really think that's about all you can say....aside from great intangibles.

Dorky movement skills (definitely related to jitters).

Inaccurate arm, wildly at times. (Probably nerves also).

Corkscrew passes. (He has got to stop this),

Poor vision.

Poor footwork.

I mean, look at his QBR or QB rating.

Wow, what an insightful critique.

So you see no magical nonsense clues that he'll be great, among the most important magical nonsense?

Tell me this: did Joe Flacco look like he had "it" all along? Or did he look like he had a great defense, did he mature, did he learn to use weapons? News flash, the man has hardware, whether or not anyone thinks he has "it."

I believe strongly that EJ can lead a good team in the playoffs, and we'll get our chance to see who's right over the next year or two.

Fully prepared to eat crow -as a fowl dinner means Playoffs. You remember them, don't you? I've seen every QB the Bills have had from their inception. I'm satisfied I can detect 'IT' when I see it.

In fairness to you & EJ, I think I need reading glasses..

I see such a mixed result in views of our #1 pick from last year that I am curious as to who actually believes in him and why or why not.

IMHO I believe in the kid. He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic. Minus a couple "learning curve" injuries I think EJ is our man. He has all the tools and Buffalo seems poised to put weapons around him and I think he can get it done. Am I in the minority or majority here?

What I liked is he always did better in the second Qr than the First, and did better in 2nd half than first in every game. This tells me he is learning and as the game progressed for him the game slowed down. With confidence he will hit the long ball he has the arm for it! Needs to get more comfortable in the pocket and step up (guys that can run have problems with this) I think he will be a very good QB for us. We had young receivers, inadequate line, and running backs did not not take the pressure off. Improve the line, improves the running game,= improves the passing game. WR year more experience and williams brings in experience already. The Wr we draft should be someone to contribute 2 yrs from now when we make a decision on johnson and williams.

Still too early. 10 games is not enough body of work to cast FINAL judgment. I'd would say I am less optimistic now than I was when we drafted him. Injuries are now a legit concern to go along with my original issues, accuracy and pocket presence. He is smart, has very good arm, mobile and natural leader. I'd say I am 60/40 against at this stage. My definition of pocket presence is the ability to make plays under duress, while I think EJ will stand in and take a hit and while I think he doesn't get rattled, he doesn't seem to have the natural intuition that so many great NFL QB's have.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

End up with a guy like Dalton? Do you mean the same guy that has 80 TD passes to only 49 INT's? If that's the kind of guy we end up with, then I'll gladly take him. That's comparable to a Phillip Rivers, who I don't think anyone would argue, is NOT a slouch at QB.

Yea hes made the playoffs but when you watch him you can see that he still has a lot to improve upon to lead a team to a superbowl. There are a lot of people that doubt if Dalton is the guy for Cincy and whether he is the franchise QB you hold onto for 10+ years. Thats what I mean. We dont want to end up with a guy that we are still doubting several years in despite having made the playoffs. If the Cincy defense were to drop off I wouldnt expect Dalton to carry his team to 10-6 the way the top QBs can. Not saying he cant improve still but from what Ive seen from him he is not that great and I would be hesitant to sign him to a big deal.

Who believes in Manuel?

raises hand...memememememe!

If he doesn't get better protection then the 108 hits, 48 sacks from last season he could easily morph into another JP-TE.

Should he get better protection this season, along with more time to make throws he could develop into a viable starter. This developmental process usually lasts longer then a year or two.

Right now I'm not convinced he is the guy. It depends on why he is so inaccurate. Is it because of jitters or reading defenses? Then yes those will subside over time as long as he doesn't get Trent Edwards on a few plays. If it is because of mechanics, then I don't believe for a second that he will become the QB we need. He has had 15+ years to develop mechanics going through Pee Wee, HS, and college ball. It's not like the "old days". These guys are usually trained by people that should fix mechanics problems before they get to the NFL. Changing your spots when you've been growing them for years is a tough thing to do.

Right now I'm not convinced he is the guy. It depends on why he is so inaccurate. Is it because of jitters or reading defenses? Then yes those will subside over time as long as he doesn't get Trent Edwards on a few plays. If it is because of mechanics, then I don't believe for a second that he will become the QB we need. He has had 15+ years to develop mechanics going through Pee Wee, HS, and college ball. It's not like the "old days". These guys are usually trained by people that should fix mechanics problems before they get to the NFL. Changing your spots when you've been growing them for years is a tough thing to do.

It's mostly lower-body mechanics

Not completely sold, but I am very glad we went in a different direction at QB. I WANT him to be good, as any Bills' fan does, I'm just not sure he will be. Having said that, he impressed in the last second win over the Panthers and I felt he was getting into a rhythm before being injured vs. the Browns. With what I hope will be a better offensive line, a better receiving corps and a healthy CJ, this year will be a strong indication about whether the Bills' FO got it right. Colour me cautiously optimistic.

It's mostly lower-body mechanics

It's ALL lower body mechanics. From the waist up, EJ is nearly textbook perfect and surprisingly efficient considering his length; no wasted motion. And his release is as quick as can be; Marino-like. His great arm is the main reason he or previous coaches never bothered to smooth out his lower body mechanics.

GO BILLS!!!

It's ALL lower body mechanics. From the waist up, EJ is nearly textbook perfect and surprisingly efficient considering his length; no wasted motion. And his release is as quick as can be; Marino-like. His great arm is the main reason he or previous coaches never bothered to smooth out his lower body mechanics.

GO BILLS!!!

Fundamentally, yes. I modified it with "mostly" because I think he loses some accuracy when he hesitates at the back of his drop. You're right though, when he sets his feet and drives from the back of his drop, he's a terrific passer.

I believe in the QB who has only played in 9 games and looked very good in most of them.

It's too early in his career to NOT believe in him, in my opinion.

He looked very good in most of them? Really.

From all that I have read, he has a number of flaws, and looks to be much the same QB has was in college, minus the injuries.

There was a very good review/analysis written by some service a while back, and pointed the areas out pretty accurately. IMO.

I hope he shows some improvement this year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/gamelogs