May 8th draft date

Who else thinks this is a mistake by the NFL to push it back this long? The theory I have hear is the NFL wants to have some event in every month even if it is as simple as the schedule being announced in April followed by the draft in May. To me it seems they screwed the pooch on this one and there is a lot of dead air now. If the draft was ten days away like last year it would be crazy right now and May 8th would be all about the first rookie OTA's.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else thinks this is a mistake by the NFL to push it back this long? The theory I have hear is the NFL wants to have some event in every month even if it is as simple as the schedule being announced in April followed by the draft in May. To me it seems they screwed the pooch on this one and there is a lot of dead air now. If the draft was ten days away like last year it would be crazy right now and May 8th would be all about the first rookie OTA's.

Your thoughts?

Agreed, it took long enough already now they just made it worse.

Your thoughts?

The later draft is actually advantageous for the rookie camps. There is a rule which is something along the lines of "A senior player cannot attend if his school is still in session" or something along those lines.

Andy Levitre and maybe Jairus Byrd and a few other players along the way haven't been able to attend the camp because of this. Now all should be able to attend.

Overall... I don't give a chit.

This year??? I planned my wedding for May 9th because the draft would be done already. Jokes on me right.

So I've got a cocktail reception during round 1. My wedding and reception through rounds 2 and 3. And a chartered "pleasure boat" cruise for the remaining of the draft.

Couldn't be more pissed.

Edited by mrags

I like it this year since it kicks off my bachelor party in Vegas.

First off, Congrats! Second, not a bad way to start a celebratory time with the guys....intentional or not, you and your buds get credit for good planning! :beer:

Your thoughts?

I think since we're all anxious about the Draft, virtually any amount of time seems like an eternity...the only concern or issue I have is what it does to the Rookie timetable after the Draft....of course I'd like the Draft to be sooner, like it was, but in the grand scheme of things two weeks doesn't make much difference....as for the NFL planning, it does create something of an "event" in each month from January playoffs, to February Super Bowl, to March FA period beginning, to April Pre-Draft workouts and discussion in addition to the release of the schedule and then May is the Draft, OTAs and voluntary workouts in June and then Training Camp in July and the season starts....so, it's smart in some ways, but the Rookie learning curve is already steep, why not give them an extra 2 weeks to meet their new coaches, see the facilities, and get acclimated to their new surroundings....

Overall... I don't give a chit.

This year??? I planned my wedding for May 9th because the draft would be done already. Jokes on me right.

So I've got a cocktail reception during round 1. My wedding and reception through rounds 2 and 3. And a chartered "pleasure boat" cruise for the remaining of the draft.

Couldn't be more pissed.

Make sure you turn your smart phone off when you say "I do".

Agreed. All the mock draft chatter has just turned into white noise and I've tuned it out because the draft seems so far away. The NFL dropped the ball on this one.

+1. Not sure why they'd tinker with the timing of draft but I guess if NFL had no problems moving Super Bowl into February, moving draft back 2 weeks isn't a big deal to them.

I agree

+1. Not sure why they'd tinker with the timing of draft but I guess if NFL had no problems moving Super Bowl into February, moving draft back 2 weeks isn't a big deal to them.

Agreed. All the mock draft chatter has just turned into white noise and I've tuned it out because the draft seems so far away. The NFL dropped the ball on this one.

I hate the May 8th draft date...should be in April...gives teams more time to round out their roster post draft if they do it in April, especially since they can bring 90 players to camp now.

Big thumbs down too for having to wait til the draft longer as a fan.