Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

Perhaps that's what the show runners are going with, but it's not the case for the books:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/449541.page?userfilterid=33891

Disagree, it is the case in the books. Martin coming out later and clarifying something in a Q&A doesn't change what is actually in the books. In the books, Danny doesn't burn the one time we've seen her interact with fire. Until it happens again and she says, "ouch!" or there's some exposition to say what Martin says in that Q&A we are left with the fact that she walked into a fire and didn't get burnt. I could care less what GRRM says later.

That being said, I read the books over 5 years ago so if I forgot something and there is such a scene in the books disregard that entire paragraph!

On a side note, I hate when author's/filmmakers come out and explain things that were in their works. Put everything you want the reader to know in the work and leave it alone. If you have to explain something you didn't do your job or you're not confident you did it well. Having questions left unanswered isn't a bad thing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, I hate when author's/filmmakers come out and explain things that were in their works. Put everything you want the reader to know in the work and leave it alone. If you have to explain something you didn't do your job or you're not confident you did it well. Having questions left unanswered isn't a bad thing.

Thank you, Mr. Gerrold. :beer: Corollary: If it's supposed to be ambiguous, then leave it. Don't explain it away later because some of your readers don't have the imagination to handle ambiguity. Lack of exposition is a narrative device, too. When Juliet waxes "wherefore art thou, Romeo," Romeo doesn't answer "I'm standing right here under your balcony, you silly twit!"

Disagree, it is the case in the books. Martin coming out later and clarifying something in a Q&A doesn't change what is actually in the books. In the books, Danny doesn't burn the one time we've seen her interact with fire. Until it happens again and she says, "ouch!" or there's some exposition to say what Martin says in that Q&A we are left with the fact that she walked into a fire and didn't get burnt. I could care less what GRRM says later.

That being said, I read the books over 5 years ago so if I forgot something and there is such a scene in the books disregard that entire paragraph!

She does indeed get burned by Drogon in the fighting pit scene in the books.

Arya Stark is not dying.

She gets her sword, goes to a dark corner, blows out the candle, and waits. You really think that's how they're going to set up her death? She's just giving up?

Well, I hope you're correct. Because I see the Boltons skinning Jon Snow and his half-sister.

Just watched S6E6 again...I usually watch them twice to catch what I missed the first time around.

So, is the presumption is that Marjorie is playing Tommen and the High Sparrow (i.e., pretending to have "converted") in order to save Lorys?

Who is the prisoner Walder Frey brought out that they'll be taking to River Run?

Is Benjen now some sort of supernatural being, since the children saved him with dragon glass?

Just watched S6E6 again...I usually watch them twice to catch what I missed the first time around.

So, is the presumption is that Marjorie is playing Tommen and the High Sparrow (i.e., pretending to have "converted") in order to save Lorys?

Who is the prisoner Walder Frey brought out that they'll be taking to River Run?

Is Benjen now some sort of supernatural being, since the children saved him with dragon glass?

Yes.

Edmure; the ex-lord of Riverrun and the Riverlands. Robb's uncle. The one who got married during the Red Wedding.

Yes. He's half human, half zombie, half walker.

Yes.

Edmure; the ex-lord of Riverrun and the Riverlands. Robb's uncle. The one who got married during the Red Wedding.

Edmure, Catlyn's brother, is the heir to River Run, so he is a good hostage.

Benjen is now 150% badass.

I am very curious to see what happens to Loras. If he is significantly punished, I could see sweet little Margaery stabbing the high sparrow herself.

I am very curious to see what happens to Loras. If he is significantly punished, I could see sweet little Margaery stabbing the high sparrow herself.

He's not the heir, he is the ex-lord of Riverrun and the Riverlands.

Better than half man, half bear, half pig. Or was that half bear, half pig, half man?

It was sorta like a pig, only much more man-bear-like

Yes.

I'm not so sure it's about Loras as much as it is about power. I think Marjorie sees the balance of power shifting over to the Sparrow, and is doing what she does: playing her game in order to align herself with whomever has the power. Saving Loras would be a benefit, but her connection to him isn't as important as showing that the Tyrells are not a house that can be lorded over.

I don't think she'll make her move on the Sparrow now...I think she'll stand down temporarily to allow the Sparrows to put Cersei on trial, hoping they eliminate her. With Cersei out of the way (as Jaime is already out of the way), she has only to compete with the Sparrow for Tommen's loyalty.

That's when she'll make her move...assuming all goes as planned.

He's not the heir, he is the ex-lord of Riverrun and the Riverlands.

I think you are splitting heirs. He has the best claim to River Run as the only surviving child of Hoster Tully. As such, he is a valuable hostage.

We are headed back to the "A feast of Crows" River Run siege story, and who knows, perhaps a visit from Lady Stoneheart. (I hope not.) So much for the show out pacing the source material. This smacks of stalling until the new book is published.

Edited by Matt in KC

Well, I hope you're correct. Because I see the Boltons skinning Jon Snow and his half-sister.

Jon's not getting skinned by the Boltons. They didn't bring a major character back from the dead just to kill him a few episodes later. He's not Glen, and Ramsey isn't Negan.

I think you are splitting heirs. He has the best claim to River Run as the only surviving child of Hoster Tully. As such, he is a valuable hostage.

We are headed back to the "A feast of Crows" River Run siege story, and who knows, perhaps a visit from Lady Stoneheart. (I hope not.) So much for the show out pacing the source material. This smacks of stalling until the new book is published.

Why no Stoneheart?

Jaime's Riverlands arc is one of the best in the series, IMO. I hope the shoe does it justice. Really, he's just one of the best characters, and one you actually start to root for until you remember he tried to murder a 7 year old. I'd rather they give him his own story again than shoehorn him back into another story, like the Dorne fiasco. JMO.

Jon's not getting skinned by the Boltons. They didn't bring a major character back from the dead just to kill him a few episodes later. He's not Glen, and Ramsey isn't Negan.

Ramsey walking towards Rickon, Jon and Sansa all in chains with a knife...cut to black. Someone dying is the end of this story, who it is is the beginning of the next.

Why no Stoneheart?

Jaime's Riverlands arc is one of the best in the series, IMO. I hope the shoe does it justice. Really, he's just one of the best characters, and one you actually start to root for until you remember he tried to murder a 7 year old. I'd rather they give him his own story again than shoehorn him back into another story, like the Dorne fiasco. JMO.

Maybe the Lady Stoneheart arc has a good ending and an important part in the ASOIAF mythology. Where would Lady Stoneheart "go" from here? Return to Winterfell? Forever wander the woods with wolves and lost souls?

At this point it seems superfluous. I wouldn't like rapid successive reviving of John, Benjen (sort of) and Caytlyn. It diminishes the impact of all deaths.

I really did like the chapters about Jaime at River Run. He does deserve his own purpose, and I am interested to see what his reunion with Brienne looks like. He sent her off to fulfill her vow to protect the Stark girls and is succeeding admirably. If Jaime really falls for her, he could be on the path to redemption. My guess is he ultimately sacrifices himself and completes that process.

Last time the Starks got uppity, a whole lot of people got perforated.