Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

Post 420

There was even more foreshadowing of Melisandre (possibly) being the one to save Snow in the show than in the book. In season 3 (?) she meets Thoros of Myr and examines Dondarrion after Arya witnesses him being resurrected and asks Thoros "how many times has the Lord brought him back?"

These three never meet in the books, and I thought it was strange at the time that she met them in the show -- but it makes sense if she is the one who brings Jon back.

100%, LB.

Kit has a deal for two more seasons, he signed it in October of '14. He's also on the shooting schedule for season 6. Despite what EW says, he's not gone from the show.

nice work on the contract bit

So you think Jon Snow is dead?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-snow-really-dead?xid=rss-topheadlines

Yet when we asked Martin about his A Song of Ice and Fire saga, the author gave a very different answer. “Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?” Martin teased us in an interview in 2011. “My readers should know better than to take anything as gospel.”

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kit has a deal for two more seasons, he signed it in October of '14. He's also on the shooting schedule for season 6. Despite what EW says, he's not gone from the show.

This is good to hear, especially the bolded. Leaving out Bran for a whole season was one thing, but it would be a bad decision if they just left Jon's storyline on the sidelines for an entire year. Especially since things will be hitting their fever pitch.

Found the link to the scene:

This one piece of dialogue is still my favorite of the series. It still gives me the chills.

"I see a darkness in you, and in that darkness, eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes: eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again."

There was even more foreshadowing of Melisandre (possibly) being the one to save Snow in the show than in the book. In season 3 (?) she meets Thoros of Myr and examines Dondarrion after Arya witnesses him being resurrected and asks Thoros "how many times has the Lord brought him back?"

These three never meet in the books, and I thought it was strange at the time that she met them in the show -- but it makes sense if she is the one who brings Jon back.

100%, LB.

Good. At this point, he's one of the few interesting characters left in the show. Aside from him, Jamie, and Tyrion, everyone else is turning into either an archetype or a caricature.

I liked that scene. I'm not sure I'd go quite so far as to say there is more foreshadowing in the show than in the books, but they do seem to be going out of their way to imply that she has a role to play in Jon's future. I certainly shouldn't have said "no foreshadowing."

I liked that scene. I'm not sure I'd go quite so far as to say there is more foreshadowing in the show than in the books, but they do seem to be going out of their way to imply that she has a role to play in Jon's future. I certainly shouldn't have said "no foreshadowing."

I'm sorry, I didn't mean there was more foreshadowing in the show overall than the books, I meant just in this particular story line. The show seemed to go out of its way to put Melisandre and Thoros together in the show early on for no reason other than trying to foreshadow it / establish the Lord of Light's abilities in the show universe for the ultimate purpose of saving Snow.

That said, I have no idea if she'll be the one who will actually save Snow in the show. It just makes sense to me seeing how they went through that effort earlier in the series.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean there was more foreshadowing in the show overall than the books, I meant just in this particular story line. The show seemed to go out of its way to put Melisandre and Thoros together in the show early on for no reason other than trying to foreshadow it / establish the Lord of Light's abilities in the show universe for the ultimate purpose of saving Snow.

That said, I have no idea if she'll be the one who will actually save Snow in the show. It just makes sense to me seeing how they went through that effort earlier in the series.

The thing I'm interested to find out is, if she does save him, then how? There's no sense from the books how Thoros is able to revive Dondarrion, and it doesn't seem like he needs any king's blood or the like. I had thought that Melisandre was perhaps going to sacrifice Shireen in order to save Jon -- which she might do in the books, but obviously she can't do that in the show, so who knows? But then again, if Thoros can do it without king's blood, why couldn't Melisandre?

Good. At this point, he's one of the few interesting characters left in the show. Aside from him, Jamie, and Tyrion, everyone else is turning into either an archetype or a caricature.

What? Jon Snow is the typical hero of a fantasy story. His plotlines play on the same themes over and over. He is Ned with a head.

Building off of your point, I think that's why Lady Stoneheart never appeared. To have a third undead/revived character would make it obvious that a non-beheaded Jon Snow can and will come back.

But Michelle Fairley would've been awesome vengeful mother zombie.

Building off of your point, I think that's why Lady Stoneheart never appeared. To have a third undead/revived character would make it obvious that a non-beheaded Jon Snow can and will come back.

But Michelle Fairley would've been awesome vengeful mother zombie.

Good point. I think Stoneheart makes her appearance in season 6. Apparently they considered it last season and this season for the finales... so I don't buy into the notion that they are moving on without her completely. I have to imagine she'll have a pretty juicy role to play in the way the entire story wraps up... though, maybe not.

100%, LB.

In an earlier post, I stated that I indeed believe that JS is coming back in some form. I quoted the EW interview with Harrington as it created some doubt for me.

So to that end and from the same interview: Harrington: "....And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

Edited by Tony P

agreed. (well to a point) that is why I hate him being dead.

for me the few interesting characters left in the show are (were) Jon, Tyrion, and Arya.

Jamie's story is growing dull w/o his ability to battle. At this point Breanne and Pod's story is more interesting.

Bron is interesting only because I watch Ripper Street where is is in the main cast.

----------- I feel the same with this piece

Todd VanDerWerff: As a conversation piece, "Mother's Mercy" is pretty great.

It's an hour of cliffhangers, with basically every scene leaving some character or another's life in mortal peril. It's also an episode that heavily suggests Stannis and Jon are dead. I have trouble believing that both of them are, but Game of Thrones' publicity machine is working overtime to convince me that's the case. (Can you imagine if Stannis lived but Jon died? I think the internet would burn down.)

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/15/8783041/game-of-thrones-season-5-finale-hopeful

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Non book reader here, thoughts:

- It's interesting that they left some ambiguity for Stannis, considering how brutal deaths are on this series. The fact that it happens off screen makes me think she rethought as she swung and just swung it near him or something.

- With how long they lingered on Jon Snow, and the fact that Melisandre is skulking around, I could see him coming back... but also kinda curious if the lingering was just to show how much blood is there, and she seems to like her fancy blood, and Snow being questionably important, maybe she just wants his blood for.... stuff.

- I was wondering when the Mountain would come back, considering how they teased him surviving a couple times

- The ladies of Dorne are brutal... I'm now expecting a Mountain vs Dorne story of some sort after the baby Lannister was poisoned

- With dragon glass being lost, and Snow being killed (and there not being much in the way of "Valyrian Steel", seems to me the forgotten Stark kids, and/or the Dragons are the only "hope" against the White Walkers...

- Speaking of hope, I assume all hope is lost every episode. To me it seems like a series where only bad things can happen, until maybe the very end. But, even then... I'm kind of expecting the ending of the story to be totally miserable.

- Did Sansa and "Reek" commit suicide because they didn't want to be tortured by the Boltons? Or did they jump into a particularly soft snow pile?

- Arya's turn was pretty cool, but I'm kinda disappointed she was punished for it. Even so, her story is interesting.

- Uh what else... on the mother of dragons... I've basically lost interest in her. Cool, she has a dragon and all, but basically no personality, and always makes really dumb decisions, it seems.

Non book-reader too...apparently you have to read the books though, to fully hate this show to the extent that you need to, to keep watching it, and fully appreciate it! :)

Edited by Buftex

Jesus Christ, is the Mountain going to f**k up some Sparrows or what? Can't wait to see that nun who harassed Cersei get hers. Body double during the shame walk, by the way.

Episode 1 of Season 6 will be a bloodbath.

Jesus Christ, is the Mountain going to f**k up some Sparrows or what? Can't wait to see that nun who harassed Cersei get hers. Body double during the shame walk, by the way.

Of course it was. Lena Headey's a brunette.

Bron is interesting only because I watch Ripper Street where is is in the main cast.

I binged Ripper Street a couple months ago and spent most of season 1 unable to separate Bron from Drake

This last season of GoT, every time I saw Bron all I could see was Drake

For those of you who are book readers, I'd recommend a re-read of the prologue in ADWD.

About 2/3 through, it provides some interesting info on JS that you may have forgotten. I certainly did. Actually, the entire chapter, when read again, is a lot more relevant after all of the events in the book are concluded.

Edited by Tony P

For those of you who are book readers, I'd recommend a re-read of the prologue in ADWD.

About 2/3 through, it provides some interesting info on JS that you may have forgotten. I certainly did. Actually, the entire chapter, when read again, is a lot more relevant after all of the events in the book are concluded.

Do you mind enlightening a non book reader?

Do you mind enlightening a non book reader?

The prologue provides a lot of in-depth information about wargs. The chapter is seen through the eyes of a particularly powerful warg, Varamyr. At one point, Varamyr recalls meeting JS who he confirms is a strong yet untrained warg who still fights his ability rather than embrace it.

Couple this with JS's last word being "Ghost" and as many have suggested, JS returning as having warged into his dire wolf becomes a very strong possibility at some point in the future.

The prologue provides a lot of in-depth information about wargs. The chapter is seen through the eyes of a particularly powerful warg, Varamyr. At one point, Varamyr recalls meeting JS who he confirms is a strong yet untrained warg who still fights his ability rather than embrace it.

Couple this with JS's last word being "Ghost" and as many have suggested, JS returning as having warged into his dire wolf becomes a very strong possibility at some point in the future.

Much appreciated.