Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

TnERxfJ.png

I suspect they are setting up Jon Snow's return to Castle Black with an army of Wildlings. His arsehole second in command (Alliser?) will refuse to let Snow & the Wildlings pass thru the gate. There will be a mutiniy inside Castle Black between Alliser's crew and Snow's crew (led by Sam). And again, it's the kid who will probably be the one who saves Jon Snow

Could be. I think Sam's line, "Jon always comes back" is more a nod to the book fans who are wondering (though not really) about Snow's fate post mutiny. I think there's a real chance the kid goes stabby-stabby to Jon more than being the one who saves him. It's 50/50 in my book right now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they are setting up Jon Snow's return to Castle Black with an army of Wildlings. His arsehole second in command (Alliser?) will refuse to let Snow & the Wildlings pass thru the gate. There will be a mutiniy inside Castle Black between Alliser's crew and Snow's crew (led by Sam). And again, it's the kid who will probably be the one who saves Jon Snow

my suspicion is this -

I think Jon will disperse the wildlings in the abandoned castles and along the Gift as he proceeds back to Castle Black and that he'll brig Tormund and a handful of wildlings with him.

I still find it hard to believe that the same production crew that put together that amazing battle scene in the last episode also put together that ridiculous fight scene in Dorne.

I still find it hard to believe that the same production crew that put together that amazing battle scene in the last episode also put together that ridiculous fight scene in Dorne.

That's because they didn't. :)

My understanding is they have multiple units (I forget if it's 2 or 4 or more) shooting simultaneously for around 6 months. I think Dorne was filmed in Sevilla Spain while Hardhome was Iceland (?). They have 5 directors filming 2 episodes each, most shooting simultaneously across several continents. There's not much intermingling in terms of physical crews between locations simply due to timing and distance. Both of those sequences were handled by first time directors (for the show, not rookie directors) with different production crews and teams. The amount of logistical work alone that goes into the physical production of this show is mind boggling to me. I have no idea how they make it work so smoothly so I guess I have to cut them some slack for the unspectacular Dorne sequences.

I agree that the Dorne stuff looks even worse now in comparison to this week's episode. I guess imprisoning Jamie in Dorne rather than having him leading a siege in Riverrun accomplishes the same thing for Cersei's narrative (Jamie being unable to come to her aid), but I wish they had made that fight (and the writing) in that episode way better. The sand snakes are pretty fun in the books, I wish the same held true on the show.

That's because they didn't. :)

My understanding is they have multiple units (I forget if it's 2 or 4 or more) shooting simultaneously for around 6 months. I think Dorne was filmed in Sevilla Spain while Hardhome was Iceland (?). They have 5 directors filming 2 episodes each, most shooting simultaneously across several continents. There's not much intermingling in terms of physical crews between locations simply due to timing and distance. Both of those sequences were handled by first time directors (for the show, not rookie directors) with different production crews and teams. The amount of logistical work alone that goes into the physical production of this show is mind boggling to me. I have no idea how they make it work so smoothly so I guess I have to cut them some slack for the unspectacular Dorne sequences.

I agree that the Dorne stuff looks even worse now in comparison to this week's episode. I guess imprisoning Jamie in Dorne rather than having him leading a siege in Riverrun accomplishes the same thing for Cersei's narrative (Jamie being unable to come to her aid), but I wish they had made that fight (and the writing) in that episode way better. The sand snakes are pretty fun in the books, I wish the same held true on the show.

Yeah, I know they have different crews for the different sites, I suppose I should have used better words...perhaps how the same producers would put together those two vastly different fight scenes.

I agree, they needed some way to get Jaime out of King's Landing to allow Cersei to be imprisoned and alone, and I'm sure the writers didn't want to get bogged down in the Riverrun/Blackfish/Edmure quagmire. It's just so strange how messed up the entire Dorne storyline is compared with the rest of the show.

Yeah, I know they have different crews for the different sites, I suppose I should have used better words...perhaps how the same producers would put together those two vastly different fight scenes.

I agree, they needed some way to get Jaime out of King's Landing to allow Cersei to be imprisoned and alone, and I'm sure the writers didn't want to get bogged down in the Riverrun/Blackfish/Edmure quagmire. It's just so strange how messed up the entire Dorne storyline is compared with the rest of the show.

...for book readers. Yes, I know this is the readers' thread, but the majority of the show's audience couldn't care less about the books and whether the storyline matches.

I suspect it's one thing to stage a fight scene waged between actors and CGI characters and quite another to choreograph one between real actors wielding props in a confined space. The latter is just gonna look lame compared to the former.

...for book readers. Yes, I know this is the readers' thread, but the majority of the show's audience couldn't care less about the books and whether the storyline matches.

true, but for the most part - from here on out, the majority of the book storyline has ended. Too soon the readers will not know if the storyline matches until GRRM actually releases his books!

we'll all be in the dark waiting for winter to come

I'm assuming next season will be mostly filmed before the next book goes on sale

true, but for the most part - from here on out, the majority of the book storyline has ended. Too soon the readers will not know if the storyline matches until GRRM actually releases his books!

we'll all be in the dark waiting for winter to come

I'm assuming next season will be mostly filmed before the next book goes on sale

Martins' backed himself into such a corner with his directionless Gordian knot of a plot that he's probably waiting for the show to tell him how his series ends.

Martins' backed himself into such a corner with his directionless Gordian knot of a plot that he's probably waiting for the show to tell him how his series ends.

Seriously. Martin broke some cardinal rules of storytelling early, which was refreshing, but there is too much happening.

Seriously. Martin broke some cardinal rules of storytelling early, which was refreshing, but there is too much happening.

There's only one hard-and-fast rule of writing that matters, and that is: have a point, even if that point is "I forgot. Godot called, he'll be late."

And Martin broke that in book 4.

There's only one hard-and-fast rule of writing that matters, and that is: have a point, even if that point is "I forgot. Godot called, he'll be late."

And Martin broke that in book 4.

World-building over storytelling.

That's not what I was talking about. I mean, messed up in terms of lousy writing, lousy acting, and lousy direction compared with the rest of the show.

Man, you got that right.

From top to bottom the Dorne scenes/story arc is completely nonsensical....whether one has read the books or not.

could be spoilers or spoiler theories WRT Jon's fate

The fate of Jon Snow book vs TV show

The book leaves us hanging WRT to what the brothers actions did to Jon WRT allowing the wildlings south of the wall

The TV show showed us the value of Jon and he sword.... and teasing Ollies hatred for the wildlings that killed his family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/jon-snow-fate-game-of-thrones_n_7496458.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

I'd hate to see the show and or book kill Jon off

Could be. I think Sam's line, "Jon always comes back" is more a nod to the book fans who are wondering (though not really) about Snow's fate post mutiny. I think there's a real chance the kid goes stabby-stabby to Jon more than being the one who saves him. It's 50/50 in my book right now.

This is what I took from that scene as well. Sam explains to Olly that sometimes people need to do what they know is right, even if no one else agrees with it, because it's the right thing to do. The look of realization that came across the kids face had me thinking that he thinks he needs to kill Jon because he believes it's for the greater good.

Then right after that Sam said that bit about how Jon always comes back, so it's cool. He'll be riding a dragon soon enough.

First " Hardhome" and now "Dance of Dragons". Two great episodes with hopefully an outstanding finale next week. I was really discouraged the first few weeks but these last two were worth the wait.

Just one thing bothers me: where the heck are the great Unsullied warriors to protect Dany. I mean really...I get that they had to make it kind of desperate for Drogon's dramatic return but the Unsullied have been pretty ordinary, twice now.