Tom Savage - Strongest arm in the draft?

Tom Savage from Pitt is reportedly the hottest player in the draft per Gil Brandt. He is being mocked by some as Houston's top pick in the 2nd round. While I would be shocked by this, I think he could be a good prospect to develop. He has played for Rutgers, Arizona and Pitt and I think the bouncing around hurt him initially as being considered one of the 1st or even 2nd tier QBs in the draft, but his workouts seem to be changing that. SB Nation has him ranked ahead of McCarron and Murray. I wonder where he will go and if he is the type of pick the Bills would make (not expected to start right away but potential sleeper)...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/

Tom Savage from Pitt is reportedly the hottest player in the draft per Gil Brandt. He is being mocked by some as Houston's top pick in the 2nd round. While I would be shocked by this, I think he could be a good prospect to develop. He has played for Rutgers, Arizona and Pitt and I think the bouncing around hurt him initially as being considered one of the 1st or even 2nd tier QBs in the draft, but his workouts seem to be changing that. SB Nation has him ranked ahead of McCarron and Murray. I wonder where he will go and if he is the type of pick the Bills would make (not expected to start right away but potential sleeper)...

http://mmqb.si.com/2...day-morning-qb/

I think the Bills are looking at taking a QB in the 3rd round. Gotta kick the tires on the Savage rumor. You are dead on about his bouncing around from program to program. It retarded his development in the eyes of more than a few scouts, but if he's got the goods, that won't matter. And there's Whaley's Pitt connection. Hmm.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the Bills are looking at taking a QB in the 3rd round. Gotta kick the tires on the Savage rumor. You are dead on about his bouncing around from program to program. It retarded his development in the eyes of more than a few scouts, but if he's got the goods, that won't matter. And there's Whaley's Pitt connection. Hmm.

GO BILLS!!!

I also roughly took a look at when he played at Rutgers and Pitt to see if Marrone would have had a first hand look at him while at Cuse. It looks like he was pre-Marrone at Rutgers and that he didn't actually play at Pitt until 2013. I could be off though, didn't have a lot of time to research. I also thought about Whaley's connections at Pitt.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 52s

Tom Savage's dance card is fully booked http://wp.me/p14QSB-9swq

He looks like an NFL Qb physically. I saw him play both at Rutgers and Pitt. He's nothing special but will be overdrafted due to his looks. His game doesn't match up in my opinion. Kind of like a QB we have here.

Sounds more like Logan Thomas.

I have to assume he is rising from a UDFA to a late round pick. Watching him at Pitt, he has the physical tools as Fluff said upthread, but I can't see him making an active roster in the fall.

Agreed. Slow feet in pocket and not a fast release. Has a good arm (not as good as Carr's), but don't think he'd hold up to an NFL pass rush.

GO BILLS!!!

But have to understand.WHY he bounced to multiple programs. Was he in trouble? Was he disgruntled because he couldn't win the starting job? If so, why couldn't he start at middling college programs?

Be very wary before round 4 or 5. He may have a great arm, but that is DEFINITELY not enough to be a top NFL QB prospect with such a spotty college career.

But have to understand.WHY he bounced to multiple programs. Was he in trouble? Was he disgruntled because he couldn't win the starting job? If so, why couldn't he start at middling college programs?

Be very wary before round 4 or 5. He may have a great arm, but that is DEFINITELY not enough to be a top NFL QB prospect with such a spotty college career.

Agree wholeheartedly.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't remember why he left Rutgers, but I know he left Arizona because after he transferred there they hired Rich Rod, who runs a unqiue spread offense. Same reason that Ryan Mallett transferred from UM when they hired Rich Rod. I don't think he ever played at AZ.

I don't want a QB in the draft. Too many rookies in the stable. we need to pick up some veteran who will not compete for the starting job, but provide guidance to EJ. Place Tuel on the practice squad and keep Thad.

We don't have to use up a draft slot, and can other players for filling needs and adding depth.

I don't want a QB in the draft. Too many rookies in the stable. we need to pick up some veteran who will not compete for the starting job, but provide guidance to EJ. Place Tuel on the practice squad and keep Thad.

We don't have to use up a draft slot, and can other players for filling needs and adding depth.

i love Tuel. To me, he is every bit the "gamer" that Thad is.

Tuel seems to recognize that his job is to THROW THE BALL. To give players a chance to make plays.

EJ seems to think his job is to wait for receivers to get open. Hopefully all 3 will get better.

Saying all that to say, I dont wanna put Tuel on PS. I dont want him poached by another team. If we draft a QB who cant reasonably compete to start This Year, then dont draft one at all.

Edited by maddenboy

http://mmqb.si.com/2...day-morning-qb/

Savage is a beast. Saw a few games of his living here in Pittsburgh, and went to Syracuse game @ Cuse (go Cuse). Not only does he have a strong arm, he has outstanding pocket presence for a guy who has played only 2 seasons of college ball (I think). He eludes players like Big Ben. I want this guy.

I don't remember why he left Rutgers, but I know he left Arizona because after he transferred there they hired Rich Rod, who runs a unqiue spread offense. Same reason that Ryan Mallett transferred from UM when they hired Rich Rod. I don't think he ever played at AZ.

You are correct. And Pitt runs a "pro style" offense.

Agreed. Slow feet in pocket and not a fast release. Has a good arm (not as good as Carr's), but don't think he'd hold up to an NFL pass rush.

From what I saw, he can evade the rush pretty well. The Syracuse game in particular impressed me. His O-line was spotty, and he evaded quite a few sacks and made some nice downfield throws. I like how pressure does not effect his ability to continue looking downfield.

There isn't a veteran worth a crap that could teach Ej. Ej has his own coach now.