BBQ Question

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That website is mouth-watering. I wonder how the Hot Mess is. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

that one looks a wee bit hot for my tastes...scoth bonnet peepers and all.

I have enjoyed everything i have ordered from them, but cant vouch for that one

that one looks a wee bit hot for my tastes...scoth bonnet peepers and all.

I have enjoyed everything i have ordered from them, but cant vouch for that one

I may be way off, here, but this almost seems like you're going to buy me a sampler set and you want to know my mailing address.

Now... Supposedly, I was reading on a Weber forum (I think, it may have even been here a few years ago)... That when new, the thing will heat up better. But once smoke film starts to cover the inside of the cover, the reflective properties are diminished and the grill won't heat up as much... If you keep the inside of the hood clean (which I really should) you will get higher temps. Another thing, also I am not sure if I heard it hear or another place... If the lid is open, it isn't doing its thing... No peeking! I find with a better grill, I cover and let it do its thing while watching the time. I am more of a time griller now With the old grill I was like: "Quick, move it around before the flames char it to a toast!" LoL...

Enjoy JR!

I'm going to beg to differ, unless you're slow cooking (i.e., ribs, beer can chicken, etc.). For steaks/chops the grill stays open w/ burners on high. I preheat with the lid closed for a good 10 minutes, but all of the cooking is done with the lid open. Absolutely perfect grill marks (I rotate the meat once on each side), and it's easy to control the done-ness with a little practice. I agree with whoever said all you need on a steak is salt, pepper, and olive oil.

I grew up thinking you were supposed to close the lid and forget about it (that's how my dad grilled), but now I'll never go back and I've converted a number of friends who have come over to grill and couldn't believe it.

Some of these sauces you guys have referenced sound damn good.

I may be way off, here, but this almost seems like you're going to buy me a sampler set and you want to know my mailing address.

That's funny because I got the same impression. PM him. He's real nice guy. My sample pack is already being shipped. :thumbsup:

Oh and that goes for all TSW members. He told me not to tell but I just couldn't help myself.

I agree with whoever said all you need on a steak is salt, pepper, and olive oil.

so next time try a bit of canola or vegetable oil...has a higher smoke point , think you might like the difference.

Another way i like a steak is to get a good 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch ribeye, tie a bunch of rosemary and thyme to end of a spatula, and use that to brush on butter as the steak cooks. Place the steak then on cutting board to rest, rub with a cut piece of garlic, slice onto olive oil on cutting board, add sea salt and parsley to finish

Just awesome. I will see if i can find the video...

just send me your Credit Card info for address validation and sauce is on its way!

I'm going to beg to differ, unless you're slow cooking (i.e., ribs, beer can chicken, etc.). For steaks/chops the grill stays open w/ burners on high. I preheat with the lid closed for a good 10 minutes, but all of the cooking is done with the lid open. Absolutely perfect grill marks (I rotate the meat once on each side), and it's easy to control the done-ness with a little practice. I agree with whoever said all you need on a steak is salt, pepper, and olive oil.

I grew up thinking you were supposed to close the lid and forget about it (that's how my dad grilled), but now I'll never go back and I've converted a number of friends who have come over to grill and couldn't believe it.

Some of these sauces you guys have referenced sound damn good.

That is correct. For steaks I leave the lid open and the bottom flu open too for max heat. I usually get it over 500 degrees. If you have a thick steak season with lots of salt and fresh black pepper. Almost to the point you think you've overdone it.

just send me your Credit Card info for address validation and sauce is on its way!

That's only for ID verification right? That's what you told me.

Chef Jim said go ahead and use his. I'll PM you my address.

Too late I just canceled the card. Within 5 minutes he had charged $500 to Aunt Bessy's Blow up Dolls and Wild Animals.

Aside from expedience, what benefits does gas have?

Pain relief

Aside from expedience, what benefits does gas have?

Ease of use, primarily. I have a natural gas line dedicated to my grill so I never have to worry about fuel. I'll agree charcoal grilling can add flavor, but you can also accomplish that by smoking and with marinades/rubs.

A friend of mine just purchased a Weber smoky mountain. As far as coal/wood burning smokers go, that thing is as close to fire and forget as I've seen. Its got a lot of fuel capacity, and a lot of rack space. Maintains temperature really well. If you build your fire correctly, you shouldn't have to refuel during an 8 to 10 hour cook. Lots of rack space too for a bullet type design.

Ease of use, primarily. I have a natural gas line dedicated to my grill so I never have to worry about fuel. I'll agree charcoal grilling can add flavor, but you can also accomplish that by smoking and with marinades/rubs.

I may have to invest in one again... I haven't touched a gas grill in years...

I know the original poster asked about propane. For what it is worth, I have had a Weber, but this past year, I went ahead and bought a Big Green Egg. I love it. I am still perfecting some of the things I do on it, but the darn thing is extremely versatile. I would recommend if any of you guys are in the market.

• 3 weeks later...