Why Not Kick The Tires with Josh Freeman?

patfitz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley has stated on several occasions they "are very comfortable" with the QBs on the roster right now, and b/c the BILLS are absolutely "all in" (also to quote Whaley) on EJ, bringing in a guy who has been a starter and is most likely looking for at least the chance to start, would seem to disrupt the continuity the BILLS are looking for in EJ. Moreover, if this really is THE year EJ has to put up or shut up, and demonstrate he is the Face of the Franchise QB the BILLS have long been searching for, brining in another QB at this point would seem counter-productive, IMHO...however, next season is an entirely ball game all together...

I can't disagree with anything you've said.

As I said, I do like what Thad showed; but you're right - very turnover prone.

I just don't like having a backup who thinks he should be the starter. Yes ... you want a guy who believes in himself. But I never liked the idea of the starting QB looking over his shoulder.

I call it the Doug Flutie syndrome ... but that's another story altogether.

I'd like a backup who is good/smart enough to safely manage a game without turning the ball over too much, but who is also smart enough to know that he is there to back up the starter. Not one who thinks he's better than the starter. That never works.

I am advocating getting Freeman not as competition to EJ but to bolster the backup position. And if it comes to a point where Freeman is pushing EJ for the starter role, we may already be in trouble. For as good as Freeman has been in spots, his inconsistency and undisclosed behind the scene issues should give one pause. Or atleast warrant a thorough due diligence. Which is also why I am specifically talking about him as backup.

the only reason that often doesnt work is because it normally indicates your starter isnt very good.

:D

Somebody got all those balls to Mike Williams. Haven't you wondered about the QB who was on the other end of those throws?

The Bills don't need Freeman, but the pre-Schiano Freeman was a pretty good QB.

To anyone pointing to a single MNF game...most QB's will struggle when they are thrown into a starting assignment less than 2 weeks after being signed.

Agree on every point

All in with EJ. If he doesn't show something then I hope they trade their entire draft to move up and get Jameis Winston. He's been the most sure thing since Luck so to me it's a no brainer no matter the cost. No more messing around with this qb or that qb. We need a REAL franchise qb if we want to turn this thing around

I am advocating getting Freeman not as competition to EJ but to bolster the backup position. And if it comes to a point where Freeman is pushing EJ for the starter role, we may already be in trouble. For as good as Freeman has been in spots, his inconsistency and undisclosed behind the scene issues should give one pause. Or at least warrant a thorough due diligence. Which is also why I am specifically talking about him as backup.

I agree on this, at a low contract with a minimum guarantee, a prove it one year contract. Why not a performance based contract with major incentives. Let him challenge for backup. How can you even compare him to Tuel? And the upside is high if he gets his head together. I would not write him off yet. He still might flourish in the right conditions. A low risk, high reward signing if he works out is a win win.

Kurt Warner falls into my list of QBs worthy of a thread. He won Superbowl with his previous team. Freeman did what with his last team?

Fail.

Maybe you should ask better questions rather than shooting the messenger. Here's what the response was to:
If anyone can site an example where some talentless nobody, never has-been ever signed with a team and became an all pro

Seems like he gave a pretty good answer to what you asked.

Fail.

The back-up QB situation may be the worst in the NFL. It is as bad as the TE situation. Tuel is a joke. Lewis is barely competent. Lewis got worse in every game he played and was a turn-over waiting to happen. Any upgrade at back-up QB would be wise. At some point they should draft Murray.

But it doesn't really matter, it is EJ or bust for the Bills, Whaley, and Marrone.

Whaley has stated on several occasions they "are very comfortable" with the QBs on the roster right now, and b/c the BILLS are absolutely "all in" (also to quote Whaley) on EJ, bringing in a guy who has been a starter and is most likely looking for at least the chance to start, would seem to disrupt the continuity the BILLS are looking for in EJ. Moreover, if this really is THE year EJ has to put up or shut up, and demonstrate he is the Face of the Franchise QB the BILLS have long been searching for, brining in another QB at this point would seem counter-productive, IMHO...however, next season is an entirely ball game all together...

Excellent post. So much better than the "freeman sucks because of one game in minny" posts.

Edited by dubs

I am of the opinion that the biggest problem with our team last season BY FAR was our QB situation. I can't believe we are just going to sit on the roster we ended the season with. This just seems like a huge risk to our entire season. I certainly don't think that Freeman is the best insurance policy. I was quietly hoping that we would pursue a trade with Miami for Matt Moore, even thought the price would have been high. Be that a it may, if we experience the same sort of QB issues this coming season that we did in '13, we will be very badly at square one in '15. That is my opinion. I believe that we an experienced veteran, if for no other reason than to keep the rest of the team moving forward should we experience another QB bust.

Guys- I pointed out this morning he was 25 TD to 5 Int's one yee , and 27-17 another year which that one isn't great but decent. We're talking about a cheap 3rd string QB with 3.5 years of experience.

You're going to base your decision on one MN game where he was rattled from Schiano, and had no time to learn the playbook.

He is definitely better than Tuel, and could be better than Lewis with time to learn the playbook and the offense. I know a lot of you don't follow the Bucs, but I do, and the big question is simply "is his head in the game and will he be disciplined enough to train for it on a cheap contract"?

If so, bring him in, I'd say give him a psych e v a l. confidentially, and see what happens. You guys didn't see in his first 1.5 years, he had flashes of Big Ben before he lost his weight. He was fun to watch. No one is stating he should compete for EJ's job. He wasn't a distraction in Tampa. Again, I live there. Bills are #1 for me, but Bucs are #2.

I just feel some guys are making decisions without knowing a lot about him. I don't want him on the team. I just want him to get a workout, and I trust Marrone and Whaley. If he is a basket case, they will figure it out, and it's for a third strong player.

Until EJ gets 25 TD and 5 INT's, I can't believe any of you would not want him. His defense sucked around him that year.

I am of the opinion that the biggest problem with our team last season BY FAR was our QB situation. I can't believe we are just going to sit on the roster we ended the season with. This just seems like a huge risk to our entire season. I certainly don't think that Freeman is the best insurance policy. I was quietly hoping that we would pursue a trade with Miami for Matt Moore, even thought the price would have been high. Be that a it may, if we experience the same sort of QB issues this coming season that we did in '13, we will be very badly at square one in '15. That is my opinion. I believe that we an experienced veteran, if for no other reason than to keep the rest of the team moving forward should we experience another QB bust.

I don't disagree regarding the back up QB position, as I stated Whaley likes all the QBs on the roster right now and said he's "very comfortable" with Tuel, Lewis and Dixon and therefore are NOT in the market for a QB. My point was that Freeman would seem to want to push for a starting QB position and that flies in the face of what Whaley seems to communicate about EJ, he is absolutely their starter, with no reservations and no room for debate...brining Freeman in to "compete" for the QB position would then be a reversal of stated opinion for THIS year...

Guys- I pointed out this morning he was 25 TD to 5 Int's one yee , and 27-17 another year which that one isn't great but decent. We're talking about a cheap 3rd string QB with 3.5 years of experience.

You're going to base your decision on one MN game where he was rattled from Schiano, and had no time to learn the playbook.

He is definitely better than Tuel, and could be better than Lewis with time to learn the playbook and the offense. I know a lot of you don't follow the Bucs, but I do, and the big question is simply "is his head in the game and will he be disciplined enough to train for it on a cheap contract"?

If so, bring him in, I'd say give him a psych e v a l. confidentially, and see what happens. You guys didn't see in his first 1.5 years, he had flashes of Big Ben before he lost his weight. He was fun to watch. No one is stating he should compete for EJ's job. He wasn't a distraction in Tampa. Again, I live there. Bills are #1 for me, but Bucs are #2.

I just feel some guys are making decisions without knowing a lot about him. I don't want him on the team. I just want him to get a workout, and I trust Marrone and Whaley. If he is a basket case, they will figure it out, and it's for a third strong player.

Until EJ gets 25 TD and 5 INT's, I can't believe any of you would not want him. His defense sucked around him that year.

Is the stud QB the guy you would get? Or would you be getting the guy who thinks his team owes it to him to make him the starter and isn't really interested otherwise? It's easy enough to lie when you know what people want to hear. It's a little harder to fake it full-time and the other players will pick-up on a guy that is just going through the motions.

I get the strange sense from his rapid free-fall plummeting, that there is something more than the numbers would tell us.

I differ in the point about bringing in someone with experience to backup EJ. IMHO, it is imperative that we bring in a QB with sufficient playing experience. I will go out on a limb and say that the Bills D is adequate enough to get us to the playoffs. On O, we have added depth at OG (CWilliams) and a proven WR (MWilliams). If we get two starters out of this draft (say at TE, OT), the only thing holding us back is the QB position. I am fully on board with giving EJ most of the season to prove himself. But, we have to be prepared for him imploding or getting injured. Based on the way the roster is built, we are too dependent on EJ and we don't know enough to place an entire season's outcome on one hope. As hope is not a strategy, we need to bolster the backup position with someone who has (preferably) starting experience and can protect the football.

Not sure if that QB is Freeman, but we better bring someone in before TC. Lewis is too turnover prone to be an adequate #2. As someone else stated, he should be a #3 with Tuel put on PS or let go.

I agree with this. We need a QB with experience as a backup. Let Freeman compete for the backup spot. We know he can throw the ball to Williams.

His career is reminding me of Kerry Collins. Competition should be a good thing. Even if it's just with Lewis for the backup job. If E.J. is too mentally weak to have a capable back-up on the roster then the Bills will be looking for a new QB. Now whether Freeman can be a capable backup is questionable.