Why Not Kick The Tires with Josh Freeman?

patfitz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should ask better questions rather than shooting the messenger.

Fair enough...

Fail.

Calling my response out and being just as snarky? Childish at best. Taking up for someone then returning a jab as an example seems pretty low brow, especially if you're supposed to be a moderator. Send me an IM like a responsible leader of a community forum. Maybe the authority you possess is ill fitted for you given this reply. I honestly expected a little better from you, I generally agree with your stuff. I'm not justifying my remarks in the least, but seriously...

Why not? I like EJ and I think he can and will get better, but some competition and upgrade to the position will make us better.

Because he's not an upgrade?? Why not bring back JP Losman to mentor the kid, or Trentative, Cap'n Checkdown, or better yet, Brandon Weeden?

Because they all suck.

Despite what MythBusters attempted to prove, you really can't polish a turd.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

Nothing to lose if he could re-prove himself in preseason (5 games this year). If he could beat out EJ , I'am ok with that. EJ might need more time to develop, then we have a good trade or backup.

This is just another of the same old tired "let's give journeyman player X a shot" mentality. Why bring in any journeyman has been and think that somehow they're going to represent an upgrade in the level of competition for Manuel? Freeman has been in the NFL for 5 years now and has regressed in his last 3 seasons. In his limited starts, Thad Lewis has a better completion percentage, QB rating and QBR than Freeman. At the end of the day, Freeman would not be an upgrade at all. As Homey said. You can't shine a turd.

This is just another of the same old tired "let's give journeyman player X a shot" mentality. Why bring in any journeyman has been and think that somehow they're going to represent an upgrade in the level of competition for Manuel? Freeman has been in the NFL for 5 years now and has regressed in his last 3 seasons. In his limited starts, Thad Lewis has a better completion percentage, QB rating and QBR than Freeman. At the end of the day, Freeman would not be an upgrade at all. As Homey said. You can't shine a turd.

ill throw this out here

from the OP:

The Bills are not going to draft anyone more capable as a backup in this year's draft and Thad Lewis would made a good #3. Sorry Tuel.

as to the accuracy of your comparison to thad... Thads career QBR is is 30, with last season being a 24. Freemans career is a 47, and his 3 full non rookie seasons are 66, 44 and 53. thad does have a better completion percentage and standard qb rating.

Edited by NoSaint

Because he's not an upgrade?? Why not bring back JP Losman to mentor the kid, or Trentative, Cap'n Checkdown, or better yet, Brandon Weeden?

Because they all suck.

Despite what MythBusters attempted to prove, you really can't polish a turd.

He sure is an upgrade over Tuel.

Really cant help to bring in a still young QB who had a pretty good start to his career. Whatever happened in TB is just that, hopefully it was left in TB. Mental issue r tough and can be treated. I don't see what it hurts bringing him in for more competition. If he doesn't fit you cut ties with him before the regular season. He could be had for cheap i would imagine seeing he has visited one team. The more competition the better. He has skillz, it's just a question if with the proper coaching and supporting cast, could he be a serviceable back up? There is also the possibility kneeJ goes down again. I do like EJ and hope he succeeds but no harm in checking him out! We know what we have in Tuel, Dixon, & Thad.

He sure is an upgrade over Tuel.

You may be right of course, but you might be wrong too.

The Bills brass seem to like Tuel and I've got to think there may be a (good) reason for that.

Whether a young QB prospect develops is usually hard to predict. It is not beyond the range of possibilities that Tuel does progress and, heaven forbid, EJ does not.

Tuel has good, if not prototypical, size. He's not going to make the deep out from the opposite hash, but that is not make or break. It's a nice to have but no QB makes his bread and butter with that throw.

Tuel is of the same QB type as Chad Pennington. He's not a first round guy like Chad was and he does not sport the same college CV, but who is to say how he might (or might not) develop? Only time will tell.

You may be right of course, but you might be wrong too.

The Bills brass seem to like Tuel and I've got to think there may be a (good) reason for that.

Tuel is of the same QB type as Chad Pennington. He's not a first round guy like Chad was and he does not sport the same college CV, but who is to say how he might (or might not) develop? Only time will tell.

Right now, we have two #3s in Lewis and Tuel. We need a reliable, experienced #2. First order of business is getting a #2. And if the FO feels so strongly about Tuel, then let Lewis go. Can't keep hoarding #3 QBs.

Right now, we have two #3s in Lewis and Tuel. We need a reliable, experienced #2. First order of business is getting a #2. And if the FO feels so strongly about Tuel, then let Lewis go. Can't keep hoarding #3 QBs.

Sure. I expect they will be evaluating all of our QBs very closely this off season. They may very well decide that either one of Tuel or Lewis need to go to make room for a guy who is more likely to be able to step up right away if needed. Don't know that Josh is that guy.

I like Lewis's moxy but he's been around longer than Tuel and it maybe that his upside is more limited.

What Tuel needs to do IMO, if he is able, is establish that even if his physical skills are not his strong suit he can more than make up for it based on what he has above, not below, his shoulders - smarts, good timing and chemistry with his receivers.

JMO but I think he might be better than people give him credit for and could be something of a sleeper as soon as this year.

Certainly not ready to write him off just as EJ should not be written off.