Jacobs Family front runners?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One random thought: we are VERY lucky to have Chuck Schumer on our side. That guy is a power broker in Washington and not a guy whose bad side the NFL wants to be on.

I suspect several NFL owners can cozy up to a US Senator or two. Nice to have one advocate for our side, though.

GO BILLS!!!

The concession business at the New Boston Garden is what is likely most interesting to the Jacobs family. If they could sell the Bruins they would reap a major capital gain. That gain could be used to buy the Bills. It is possible that they could keep the Garden's concessions and sell the team too. If properly structured could it could be an outstanding deal for them. Instead of getting all the gain from the Bruins in taxable cash they could structure a long term concession contract thus mitigating the capital gain. The Jacobs family is a multi generation brilliant family in more than one discipline . You can bet that they did not opt out of any standardized testing or select a sit and stare option. :rolleyes:

The concession business at the New Boston Garden is what is likely most interesting to the Jacobs family. If they could sell the Bruins they would reap a major capital gain. That gain could be used to buy the Bills. It is possible that they could keep the Garden's concessions and sell the team too. If properly structured could it could be an outstanding deal for them. Instead of getting all the gain from the Bruins in taxable cash they could structure a long term concession contract thus mitigating the capital gain. The Jacobs family is a multi generation brilliant family in more than one discipline . You can bet that they did not opt out of any standardized testing or select a sit and stare option. :rolleyes:

i agree with all this. I still don't understand the argument as a whole though. Were some people actually saying that it would be tough to sell the Bruins? Or not hard at all?

I believe it was take no time to sell the Bruins. They have a flare at history, and one of the bale at teams in the league in a very strong sports market. The Jacobs family is also worth so much money they could give the Briluins away for nothing and still have enough to buy the Bills and fund a brand new stadium all on their own without any public funding and still have another $1Billion left over for play money. If they really want to purchase the team, they will purchase the team. A few hundred million for a hockey team is nothing to them, they probably write that much off every year.

Its very interesting that people who could buy the Bills could use it as an "intangible" asset and amortize it over 15 years to offset their income in other businesses they run, which would afford them huge tax breaks in those areas...Forbes had an article regarding Trump's potential purchase of the Bills and how it would benefit him by allowing him to offset earnings in other businesses. No reason to think this wouldn't hold just as true for anyone else who bought them as well...

http://www.forbes.co...rtune-in-taxes/

Edited by matter2003

I suspect several NFL owners can cozy up to a US Senator or two. Nice to have one advocate for our side, though.

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt, but Schumer is one of the most powerful senators. Any advocate is a good one especially someone of his stature. I've been optimistic (and realistic) about the long term future. The names that you are seeing popping up (Jacobs, Pegula, etc...) are the exact names that you hope to see.

No doubt, but Schumer is one of the most powerful senators. Any advocate is a good one especially someone of his stature. I've been optimistic (and realistic) about the long term future. The names that you are seeing popping up (Jacobs, Pegula, etc...) are the exact names that you hope to see.

Agree entirely.

I'm curious about Mr. Wilson's will and the stipulations, if any, that govern the trust and it's sale of the team. I wonder if Mary, as principle owner, is bound by the trust to accept the highest bid or if she has the discretion to accept the highest bid she likes. Given her outpouring of affection for the fans since Mr. Wilson's passing, I get the feeling she really DOES care about the area and Mr. Wilson's legacy as it relates to the region.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I get that but don't you think the NFL has that rule for a reason and just might find out it's been transferred to kin? In addition I'm sure there's all kinds of other issues surrounding just "transferring" around a $250 million business. Part and parcel why Ralph couldn't just sell it wink wink before he passed. These two statements kind of indicate both sides of our argument.

“As long as the family has the ownership of the Bruins, they can’t own anything related to the Bills,” said Wendy Watkins, a Delaware North spokeswoman.

To which Jacobs’ son, Jeremy Jr., said: “That said, we will do what we can to ensure that the Bills stay in this town.”

from my understanding, and I don't understand much, is that due to the fact Wilson bought the team for $25,000 and it's now worth roughly $900 million...the tax debt after he died would have been in the hundreds of millions for his family...by putting the team under a trust pending sale alleviates the tax's on the family..or at least lessens them by a lot....maybe someone else can explain it better.

HA HA HA! It makes me laugh at how many experts are on this board that think they know how to buy, sell, run or own a nfl team. Or even what the laws or rules are.What a bunch of BSers.

Care to cite specific instances in this or any other tread where a poster claims such knowledge?

While you're chuckling at all of the fools here, you'd be well advised to know there are several TBD members with considerable knowledge of high finance, wills, trusts, and estate matters.

GO BILLS!!!

Whatever is taking place has been in planning for quite some time. Whoever is the next owner has most likely been working with the Wilson family possibly for a year or years.

For the previous poster, no most of us don't know how to acquire and sell an NFL team, but none of us are knowledgeable enough to run a football team as a coach, GM or front office, but that does not stop people on the Wall for over a decade. Thus your argument makes no sense.

These are just fans having conversations about their passion in the Bills.

Oh and as K-9 just pointed out, several of us have extensive knowledge in business.

One random thought: we are VERY lucky to have Chuck Schumer on our side. That guy is a power broker in Washington and not a guy whose bad side the NFL wants to be on.

Be very careful not to be caught between Chuck Schumer and a camera!

This would be great. They built a champion in Boston. I would expect them to have the same goal here. They would be my first choice. Pegula would be second.

They did but living here in New England I can tell you for many years Bruins fans saw Jacobs as a skinflint owner who ruined the Bruins.

Care to cite specific instances in this or any other tread where a poster claims such knowledge?

While you're chuckling at all of the fools here, you'd be well advised to know there are several TBD members with considerable knowledge of high finance, wills, trusts, and estate matters.

GO BILLS!!!

I would agree. I haven't been posting long but Ive been reading this cite for the past few years. I'm an attorney and a rabid sports fan and there are a lot of people on this site who know their sports. Not just the game but the legalities of certain issues. I think someone posted the article about the non-relocation agreement as soon as that story broke which cleared up the big misconception that 400 million would allow a new owner to relocate immediately. That issue had been misunderstood for months my many. Myself included.

They did but living here in New England I can tell you for many years Bruins fans saw Jacobs as a skinflint owner who ruined the Bruins.

So what changed? Him or did he just get lucky like Wilson did in the early ninties.

I would agree. I haven't been posting long but Ive been reading this cite for the past few years. I'm an attorney and a rabid sports fan and there are a lot of people on this site who know their sports. Not just the game but the legalities of certain issues. I think someone posted the article about the non-relocation agreement as soon as that story broke which cleared up the big misconception that 400 million would allow a new owner to relocate immediately. That issue had been misunderstood for months my many. Myself included.

So what changed? Him or did he just get lucky like Wilson did in the early ninties.

Chiarelli taking over as GM and Sinden bumping up out of that role had a lot to do with it. Neely taking over as President and bumping Sinden further out of the direct loop also had a role.

Edited by Taro T