Game of Thrones: Season 4

Kevin

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I am stoked for it. Which is a little odd, since I've read all the books and pretty much know what's going to happen, but still. Should be some good stuff this season.

Man, I am stoked for it. Which is a little odd, since I've read all the books and pretty much know what's going to happen, but still. Should be some good stuff this season.

This should be an epic season.

Starts tomorrow! Can't wait. These hiatus's that HBO does in between seasons kills me.

Not HBO's fault, really. The series is a cast-iron B word to film. They shoot in about 30 different locations, mostly exteriors, across Europe (and one scene in Los Angeles).

NERDS!!!

Let the Arya killing spree begin ! Great first episode. So much crap for Tyrion to process about his family's bad deeds.

Show is as good as all the hype.

I've read the books, holding off on the television series untill the books are finished. That said, there is a real risk of the TV show dictating how the series will end, because as of now book 6 still hasnt been written, book 7 and maybe even 8 are said to be planned. On an average release schedule of one book in the series over the past 5 years... Well UGH! I loved reading these books but I doubt we'll ever get the luxury of reading the final books. Book 5 will most likely be released just before season 5 starts, what happens then is anybody's guess.

Edited by bladiebla

I've read the books, holding off on the television series untill the books are finished. That said, there is a real risk of the TV show dictating how the series will end, because as of now book 5 still hasnt been written, book 6, 7 and maybe even 8 are said to be planned. On an average release schedule of one book in the series over the past 5 years... Well UGH! I loved reading these books but I doubt we'll ever get the luxury of reading the final books. Book 5 will most likely be released just before season 5 starts, what happens then is anybody's guess.

Book 5 is out, it is 6 we're waiting on.

In any case rumor has it that Martin has shared the general direction the story is to follow post book 5 and his basic vision for the ending so in the event the show catches up to the books before he is finished writing the show creators could end it.

The timing isn't as bad as you're thinking because some of the seasons run more than 1 book. Like right now season 4 is actually the second half of the third book and I think that will happen a couple of more times for sure but with Martin's writing pace it still seems likely the show will eventually catch up before the last book is out and if they do allow the show to pass the writings it would be horrible imho.

I have watched some of the show... it is pretty good but not great comparably. For the people who have read the books and know all of all the moving pieces and undercurrents that the show simply can't cover it would be a travesty for the climactic finish to be revealed (spoiled) without all of the details it will surely have on the written page.

I've read the books, holding off on the television series untill the books are finished. That said, there is a real risk of the TV show dictating how the series will end, because as of now book 6 still hasnt been written, book 7 and maybe even 8 are said to be planned. On an average release schedule of one book in the series over the past 5 years... Well UGH! I loved reading these books but I doubt we'll ever get the luxury of reading the final books. Book 5 will most likely be released just before season 5 starts, what happens then is anybody's guess.

they differ, so its OK to read the books and then see what;s different, better or worse.

the HBO red wedding changed a key item, IIRC

Book 5 is out, it is 6 we're waiting on.

In any case rumor has it that Martin has shared the general direction the story is to follow post book 5 and his basic vision for the ending so in the event the show catches up to the books before he is finished writing the show creators could end it.

The timing isn't as bad as you're thinking because some of the seasons run more than 1 book. Like right now season 4 is actually the second half of the third book and I think that will happen a couple of more times for sure but with Martin's writing pace it still seems likely the show will eventually catch up before the last book is out and if they do allow the show to pass the writings it would be horrible imho.

I have watched some of the show... it is pretty good but not great comparably. For the people who have read the books and know all of all the moving pieces and undercurrents that the show simply can't cover it would be a travesty for the climactic finish to be revealed (spoiled) without all of the details it will surely have on the written page.

I enjoy this show. I have watched the first 3 seasons, and find it very entertaining. The gratuitous nudity (and many gorgeous women....Oona Chaplin.... :worthy::cry: ) make up for some of its' "talkiness". I normally watch it on HBO On Demand, as opposed to its' first showing. Afterwards they have these little 5 minute "inside the episode" features where the writers talk about the episode you just watched. I am often struck by how often they refer to the books, and tell you things about the characters that are, presumably, in the books, but not part of the show. I have been watching it this way, since the beginning, so I am not sure if that is adding to my enjoyment, or not. Like, do the episodes stand on their own, and are the characters fleshed out enough on the screen...or do you need knowledge from the books?

Anybody else notice that Daario Naharis changed?

Yes, I was wondering what happened to Fabio. ;)

Looks like Tyrion is about to lose his little whore.

Awesome first episode; really set the stage for what are supposed to be lots of "shocking" moments. On HBO GO there are two S4 "preview" episodes; I recommend watching both. One is about 12 minutes long, the other 25, and they specifically talk about the fact there is no waiting around for the "Episode 9" climax this season (i.e., S1 - Ned's beheading; S2 - siege on King's Landing; S3 - Red Wedding).

Like, do the episodes stand on their own, and are the characters fleshed out enough on the screen...or do you need knowledge from the books?

It's hard for me to answer definitively seeing I can't really watch it without the prior knowledge I already have. I think with any translation though you are always going to miss something because there is no way you can accurately put to screen the glimpse into the inner working of a character's mind that you get while reading the books.

I would say based on the show's immense popularity that they are doing a good job in translation though even if it isn't 100% spot on.

the HBO red wedding changed a key item, IIRC

I'm not that far in the show yet but now I'm interested now to see what twist the show put on it.

What bothers me is that they didn't even bother to style him the same. The actor change can throw me for a loop, sure, but at least make him be the same character. O.o

Yes, I was wondering what happened to Fabio. ;)

Looks like Tyrion is about to lose his little whore.

Awesome first episode; really set the stage for what are supposed to be lots of "shocking" moments. On HBO GO there are two S4 "preview" episodes; I recommend watching both. One is about 12 minutes long, the other 25, and they specifically talk about the fact there is no waiting around for the "Episode 9" climax this season (i.e., S1 - Ned's beheading; S2 - siege on King's Landing; S3 - Red Wedding).

The guy who played Daario in season 3 was distractingly good looking. That's right, I said it.

And now he's being played by Sunny from Treme!