Marrone Loves Cordy Glenn

Cash

That is surely sound logic. Although to me, that would assume there is not a very good WR, TE, LB, DE or stud S available at #9, which is somewhat hard to believe there wouldn't be. The OT available would have to be rated SO FAR ahead of the top player at any of those positions in order to justify doing it then, and that is not even considering the very real prospect of losing either Glenn or that OT in 2-3 years, which is not what you want out of a #9 overall.

I have said this before and I will say it endlessly, there is no such thing as BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE in the terms that people use it, including the guys that actually draft players. It doesn't exist and never has existed. In fact, it's downright stupid.

Every single pick in every single round in every single draft in every single year in every single sport is the exact same thing: You look at the BPA on your board, and you look at the BPA at the highest positions, repeat, positions, of need, AND you look at the BPA at the lesser positions of need, and then and only then do you decide between those 5-7 players which of them is going to help you the most, with all of the other factors playing into it (like money at that position, how deep is that position in the draft and on your team.)

No team has ever, once, ever, just automatically taken the BPA. A lot of times after reflection it turns out that the best choice is indeed that BPA, but no one has ever just looked at who is the top player available at the time and just selected him without considering the other possibilities. Not once. Ever.

It is ALWAYS a comparison shopping decision between BPA, BPA at the 2-3 top positions of need, and BPA at lesser positions of need. Always.

You know how there are really no absolutes?

That's an absolute.

I like Evans at 9 but do not see another WR I'd take that high.

I do not see a TE that I would take at 9.

I do not see a LB that I would take at 9.

I do not see a DE that I would take at 9.

I do not like the thought of drafting a safety at 9.

I'll let those who follow the college game more closely than I tell me who at either LB or DE (or a WR besides Evans) would be worthy of the 9th pick. From what I've seen nobody jumps out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the article yet, but I was sold entirely on Glenn after the KC game of 2012. He gave a clinic, especially when he was run blocking at the third level down field. The ONLY knock on him that I can see is his feet; he's just not that graceful, but he's adequate and when he gets beat, those long arms of his compensate most of the time.

I'm pretty sure Mayock won't confuse him with the stiff at the Senior Bowl a couple years ago that was getting beat like a drum. I really wonder how much of Mayock's early criticism of Glenn was because he thought he was somebody else entirely.

GO BILLS!!!

I like Evans at 9 but do not see another WR I'd take that high.

I do not see a TE that I would take at 9.

I do not see a LB that I would take at 9.

I do not see a DE that I would take at 9.

I do not like the thought of drafting a safety at 9.

I'll let those who follow the college game more closely than I tell me who at either LB or DE (or a WR besides Evans) would be worthy of the 9th pick. From what I've seen nobody jumps out.

I was talking general philosophy, not names for this year in my post.

I'll stick by the fact that if tackle is the best available by a clear margin, I agree you take him- but it'd be unfortunate given the nature of our roster and the talent normally available there.

You say a star RT- but honestly, I don't qualify even the top RT as star players in most cases. That's why I used good. The best RT in the league doesn't have the impact of the 10th best qb, WR, de, cb.... generally speaking.

Damn, you beat me to it!

Glenn is one of the many reasons you have to take everything the talking heads say on draft day with a grain of salt.

I still keep hearing a lot of draftniks talking about sliding cordy over to rt. ignoring that, even with horrible play next to him the man showed a statistical improvement. hopefully with rivers things will look better.

It's obvious, we need to take a 6-5 RT with 4.3 speed, great hands, that can clog up the middle, tackle near the LoS, stay with TE's or RB's out of the backfield that has great ball hawking skills.

Oh, and he also needs to be a ST's stud.

We get this guy at #9 and we are set for years.

This. Especially in this year's draft.

Except you can make that case for ANY position... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and Kurt Warner wasn't drafted, so why pick a QB high? Andre Reed was a 4th round pick - don't need WR high, Antonio Gates was a 4th or 5th round pick - don't need TE high,....

It's obvious, we need to take a 6-5 RT with 4.3 speed, great hands, that can clog up the middle, tackle near the LoS, stay with TE's or RB's out of the backfield that has great ball hawking skills.

Oh, and he also needs to be a ST's stud.

We get this guy at #9 and we are set for years.

That guy is Olof Pilar.

Let's all remember this when Kiper gives his grades this year. He was convinced that Glenn would never be even a serviceable LT, and Buddy disagreed. Looks like Buddy was right.