Can Bills Fans Own and Operate a New Stadium?

Isn't this sort of what the Fan Aliance concept was/is? Though they weren't talking about fans outright owning the stadium, but fans putting up money to give a no-interest loan to a new perspective buyer, who will keep the team in Buffalo? I realize owning the stadium, and loaning money to build a stadium are different...but this arraingement would help to insure that the new owner does not move the team, as Promo mentioned, after the new stadium is built. Don't know if Buffalo could afford a new stadium, and all the up-keep, if there was no NFL team playing there.

Personally, I love the idea of the Fan Alliance group. I suspect there are as many, if not more, ex-WNYers scattered around the country (like myself) who would love to be able to do something for the cause. Haven't lived in Buffalo since 1988, but I can't bare the notion of Buffalo without the Bills. For a few years, after I left, I still purchased my season tickets and would just give the tickets away...but somehow, that didn't feel the same. I could not afford, right now, to kick in some huge amount like $4,000, but some lower monthly payment to a fund would be perfect for me.

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

outstanding idea for the people to fund and own the stadium.

don't forget to factor in property tax, school tax, maintenance, security, traffic control costs, liability insurance, electric, gas, water, upgrades, renovations, etc...

Those are givens, when you buy a new home, you have to assume and account for all of the

ancillary costs, so we would be no different. I would bet that we may in deed see a return on our investment,

and if it keeps the Bills here for another 20 years or so, that would be enough of a return for me.

One little caveat, I currently reside in Pittsburgh, so you would need to compensate me

for my relocation expenses, but that is not a problem, I need a change of scenery, and originally

born and raised in B'lo.

Knowing that, due to financial and other reasons, we have fans all over the world, we would not

discriminate on investors, if you have the fee, you are in.

Edited by Tu-Toned

Interesting idea. But exactly how does this keep the Bills in Buffalo?

I am working on that. Like I stated, this may only guarantee the stay for the life

of the new stadium, do we have any guarantees currently that the stay beyond the

current stadium/county lease agreement?

Maybe you should talk to bankers and bonding companies as to the absurdity of trying to get insurance and bonding for this.

Ok, that is your assignment, I expect a full report on my desk in the morning!

Except he is asking about fans owning the stadium which I don't believe they're are any rules against.. But it's a pretty unrealistic concept. How are fans going to raise a billion dollars? Who will be in charge? What happens if the Bills leave anyway?

Well, we still should be able to tailgate, we own the place! I realize that I am talking out of my bottom

hole a bit, but my intentions are pure!

Maybe you should talk to bankers and bonding companies as to the absurdity of trying to get insurance and bonding for this.

Yes but where is the fun in that ;)

Interesting idea. But exactly how does this keep the Bills in Buffalo?

It doesn't.

It does keep them there longer though, right?

How exactly? A new owner will look at the business case and decide to move or not (unless it's a white knight). A shiny new stadium may help if all other things are equal, but chances are any new city would also have a shiny new stadium to offer as well. And Buffalo being what it is, all other things are likely not to be equal.

I don't know if I could get you 200,000 people, but I could find 55,000 who would put up $10,000 for a transferable PSL--especially if you offered the option to pay over four years. I'd buy one right now. There's $550,000,000--over half the cost. Throw in 100 suite owners at $500,000 each--there's another $50,000,000. You're going to derive revenue annually from the team/teams, and if it is designed right, you can have conference space and retail space (think Patriots* Place) that generates revenue. Some state and federal economic development money, and a few deep-pocketed investors and you're there. NO taxpayer funding at all. I'd put it in Niagara Falls to keep our Rochester and Toronto fans happy. Suite owners and major investors share revenues from concessions, events. PSL owners have the appreciating value of the PSL and the fun of attending Bills games.

Man, that's good. Revitalizes the Falls, too. That settles it...I am moving back to NYS and running for governor.

Oh yeah, and we cut a deal that requires the county and the taxpayers to contribute for maintenance and upkeep on a sliding scale based on revenue generated and economic development created by the facility.

Where are you going to find these 50,000 people paying 10,000? Today. And where are these individuals who are lined up to pay 500,000 a suite right now?

And how are those NYJets PSL values holding up?

And few in Rochester will be happy to visit Niagra Falls.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I have read a lot of posts about ideas to keep the team in Buffalo, and maybe

this has been discussed before, but could the fans do this?

If the NFL has rules against minority or fractured ownership and prevents a situation

like Green Bay where the Fans own the team, why can't the Bills Fans finance the

new stadium. Taxpayers that are against financing a new stadium can opt out, those

opting in will share in the revenues and have a real ownership stake.

It would take the financial burden off of the state and county, as well as make it much

easier for a new owner to keep them here. We say when and how ticket prices are set,

we control the psl revenue, we decide where it will be located and how it will be run.

If we can't own the team, maybe this is the next best scenario, and we keep the slime ball

politicians out of it, maybe we can use them to secure the land.

Thoughts?

Yes, it's called a Corporation. The fans could just buy stock in the corporation.

this is a complete waste of time.

the bills would never accept the rent you would need to charge and terms of who gets certain revenue etc... the taxpayers fund so much of this they don't even realize.

buy carry on and have fun fantacizing.

We say when and how ticket prices are set, we control the psl revenue, we decide where it will be located and how it will be run.

This is an odd construct. Are you assuming that Erie County as stadium owner currently sets ticket prices and controls club seat license revenue? If so, I'm quite sure you are mistaken.

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person. I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up.

Me too, and I don't want any one standing in front of me either. After all it's MY house now!

Edited by MarkyMannn

Reality Check: As much money that can be made from the county, state and public on stadium construction, improvements, luxury boxes, concessions, licensing and PSLs, do you really think the owners would approve a plan that had limited pockets and cut into the owner's frosting?

It doesn't pass the laugh test and would NEVER even be considered.

Edited by JPS

Why only open this up to local Tax Payers, open this up to BILLS Nation, I’m sure there are many other devoted Bills fans that have moved out of WNY that are willing to be part of doing what it take to keep the BILLS where they belong, plus a small ROI which they can turn around and invest in season tickets or the NFL package for those of us who purchase it just so we can see our BILLS. (800,000 local, but maybe 8mil world wide?)

Edited by Jackel_One

I'm 68. Born in Buffalo. Moved when I was 18. Went to alot of games thru the years. Live to far and too old to attend now. Sunday NFL ticket for ever because of the Bills. Had tears in my eyes when Ralph passed because of the possible loss of our Bills. I'd throw 4K into a pot right now to keep them in Buffalo. I really bet a lot more like me would too. Well worth looking into.

Why only open this up to local Tax Payers, open this up to BILLS Nation, I’m sure there are many other devoted Bills fans that have moved out of WNY that are willing to be part of doing what it take to keep the BILLS where they belong, plus a small ROI which they can turn around and invest in season tickets or the NFL package for those of us who purchase it just so we can see our BILLS. (800,000 local, but maybe 8mil world wide?)

Very true. The interesting piece and one that sets this potential franchise move apart is that as many as 50% of the must stay in buffalo voice either does not live in buffalo or never lived in buffalo. I don't think we saw the same thing with Baltimore or Cleveland.