Can Bills Fans Own and Operate a New Stadium?

I have read a lot of posts about ideas to keep the team in Buffalo, and maybe

this has been discussed before, but could the fans do this?

If the NFL has rules against minority or fractured ownership and prevents a situation

like Green Bay where the Fans own the team, why can't the Bills Fans finance the

new stadium. Taxpayers that are against financing a new stadium can opt out, those

opting in will share in the revenues and have a real ownership stake.

It would take the financial burden off of the state and county, as well as make it much

easier for a new owner to keep them here. We say when and how ticket prices are set,

we control the psl revenue, we decide where it will be located and how it will be run.

If we can't own the team, maybe this is the next best scenario, and we keep the slime ball

politicians out of it, maybe we can use them to secure the land.

Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.

Except he is asking about fans owning the stadium which I don't believe they're are any rules against.. But it's a pretty unrealistic concept. How are fans going to raise a billion dollars? Who will be in charge? What happens if the Bills leave anyway?

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person. I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up. As part owner, I want a good deal and DON'T put me next to Beerball. (actually, this is a cool concept. Be interested to see what others with a background in financing and NFL rules have to say about it).

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person. I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up. As part owner, I want a good deal and DON'T put me next to Beerball. (actually, this is a cool concept. Be interested to see what others with a background in financing and NFL rules have to say about it).

I could easily and happily muster $4k, I'm in.

That's an interesting concept. Are there 200,000 people in the world that care enough about the Bills staying in Buffalo to essentially donate $4000 to the cause with no expectation of any return. Assuming that would guarantee the Bills staying if the money was raised.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Lucas Oil Field cost $720,000,000 but has a lot of bells and whistles. With the rate of inflation, Lucas Oil would probably cost $900,000,000 today. So we build a scaled down version with room to expand in 10 years. Nowwwwww, how to get 200,000 people to agree on a design. Ohhh, and where to buy the land? Insurance? Heating? Jumbotrons? Food? Parking? Blacktop? Plumbing? What happens when the Bills actually move in 2035 (or whenever)? Who will want to buy a gigantic stadium? We would need to get $4 million / year from the Bills (and other tenants/concerts, etc) to pay off the $800 million in 20 years. Doable??

That's an interesting concept. Are there 200,000 people in the world that care enough about the Bills staying in Buffalo to essentially donate $4000 to the cause with no expectation of any return.

Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much

return to date. But that is why we are Bills Fans!

Lucas Oil Field cost $720,000,000 but has a lot of bells and whistles. With the rate of inflation, Lucas Oil would probably cost $900,000,000 today. So we build a scaled down version with room to expand in 10 years. Nowwwwww, how to get 200,000 people to agree on a design. Ohhh, and where to buy the land? Insurance? Heating? Jumbotrons? Food? Parking? Blacktop? Plumbing? What happens when the Bills actually move in 2035 (or whenever)? Who will want to buy a gigantic stadium? We would need to get $4 million / year from the Bills (and other tenants/concerts, etc) to pay off the $800 million in 20 years. Doable??

We have a central management committee, elected or appointed. Whoever we put our trust in, we do exactly

that and let them make those decisions. We run this thing like a Corporation.

Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much

We have a central management committee, elected or appointed. Whoever we put our trust in, we do exactly

I don't know if I could get you 200,000 people, but I could find 55,000 who would put up $10,000 for a transferable PSL--especially if you offered the option to pay over four years. I'd buy one right now. There's $550,000,000--over half the cost. Throw in 100 suite owners at $500,000 each--there's another $50,000,000. You're going to derive revenue annually from the team/teams, and if it is designed right, you can have conference space and retail space (think Patriots* Place) that generates revenue. Some state and federal economic development money, and a few deep-pocketed investors and you're there. NO taxpayer funding at all. I'd put it in Niagara Falls to keep our Rochester and Toronto fans happy. Suite owners and major investors share revenues from concessions, events. PSL owners have the appreciating value of the PSL and the fun of attending Bills games.

Man, that's good. Revitalizes the Falls, too. That settles it...I am moving back to NYS and running for governor.

Oh yeah, and we cut a deal that requires the county and the taxpayers to contribute for maintenance and upkeep on a sliding scale based on revenue generated and economic development created by the facility.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

I would put that much in.

Also, the State and COunty could/would kick in something. Doesnt the NFL also have a fund for stadiums too?

May Day...love the name. I would respectfully say the farther the State and the County stay away from Tu-Tone's project the better.

I am a Purchasing Manager by trade, and have a good understanding of common business practices.

I maybe a bit weak in the entertainment arena, but business is business, and what I can't handle, I make

sure that we appoint the right person that can.

I do know how to save money and push people to do better, and you can bet your bottom dollar that

I would be out there kicking the siht out of tires. I am your man, I will post my forwarding address

for your checks shortly.

It's on like a "Mo Fo"!

Edited by Tu-Toned

I am a Purchasing Manager by trade, and have a good understanding of common business practices.

I maybe a bit weak in the entertainment arena, but business is business, and what I can't handle, I make

I do know how to save money and push people to do better, and you can bet your bottom dollar that

I would be out there kicking the siht out of tires. I am your man, I will post my forwarding address

for your checks shortly.

Checks made payable to "Tu-Toned Spring Break Getaway Cancun 2014" ????

fixed.

:lol:

That's good dogma. Know what you know, know what you don't...and know when to ask for help.

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.

Correct. The NFL owners are absolutely powerless to revoke any current prohibition against public ownership.

outstanding idea for the people to fund and own the stadium.

don't forget to factor in property tax, school tax, maintenance, security, traffic control costs, liability insurance, electric, gas, water, upgrades, renovations, etc...