Johnny Manziel thread

TY, someone finally sees it my way! I think once he faces more athletic defenses teams will be able force him to stay in the pocket. I think once he's forced into being a pocket passer he won't be effective.

How did that work against Wilson?

I love Teddy Bridgewater as a prospect. I don't know enough about Bortles. Derek Carr scares me because of the name. I also think AJ McCarron should be getting more hype. Only thing that scares me about him is played with so much talent at Alabama.

So you are afraid of Carr becuase his brother was a bust? Hmmm, makes sense...

And you are afraid of McCarron because he played with...."so much talent"? He's moving into the NFL, you know....lot of talented guys there.

So who's on the Manziel bandwagon, so we know what's what when people later claim they knew how he'd turn out?

Why is it a "bandwagon"?

Anyway, I think he's going to be an exciting starting QB.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did that work against Wilson?

Wilson is a lot more accurate from the pocket than Johnny Manziel. You are not considering like for like at all. I think Kaepernick is a better comparison from that perspective (not in terms of size obviously but in terms of coming out with question marks about his accuracy from the pocket) and Manziel doesn't have the cannon of an arm that Kaepernick has.

Wilson is a lot more accurate from the pocket than Johnny Manziel. You are not considering like for like at all. I think Kaepernick is a better comparison from that perspective (not in terms of size obviously but in terms of coming out with question marks about his accuracy from the pocket) and Manziel doesn't have the cannon of an arm that Kaepernick has.

I think I am.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24421705/after-further-review-how-to-stop-russell-wilson-keep-him-in-pocket

"The best way to have success against Russell Wilson?

"Make him throw from the pocket," one NFC general manager told me."

Me too. Then some other team can give the Bills a nice package to get him. Fool's Gold.

I agree with the edited post. I think he can be a winner in the NFL, so will go on record with that. However, if Watkins is off the board and Manziel was available, I'd deal the pick for a nice package as well.

Why is it a "bandwagon"?

Anyway, I think he's going to be an exciting starting QB.

Bandwagon is the best word for it. And whether he's exciting or not means little if he doesn't win.

Edited by Doc

So who's on the Manziel bandwagon, so we know what's what when people later claim they knew how he'd turn out?

I'll be the guy throwing eggs at the wagon. I think he'll be a bust. He could possibly have one RG3 like season, but it will be all downhill after that. He'll either get injured or defenses will figure out his backyard football style pretty quickly.

FTR. I also think RG3 was a one year wonder.

I would tend to agree with the Flutie comparison, though Fluties arm was likely weaker, but I'd only consider Flutie as a successful CFL player. He had one very good year in the NFL until defenses figured him out, may him throw outside and don't let him run. Think the same may happen here, but don't think Manzeil is a smart as Flutie and will take hits and get killed.

I think he is really talented. I don't know if he would be a Jim Kelly-like franchise QB, but I could see him being pretty successful like Doug Flutie.

How do you define bandwagon?

There aren't mny exciting losers in the NFL.

I could give you Webster's definition of "bandwagon" if you'd like. And okay, you're on the record as saying he'll succeed. Any others? Carr? McCarron?

Edited by Doc

Who isn't Gruden impressed with ? But if he's there @ #9 you take him and send E.J. packing. Even though I think Manziel is a d!ck you can't deny his talent and his will to make plays

I'll go out on a limb, predict he WILL be there, and the Bills will pass because there will be a much better FOOTBALL player available.

Love watching the kid play, though.

GO BILLS!!!

I could give you Webster's definition of "bandwagon" if you'd like. And okay, you're on the record as saying he'll succeed. Any others? Carr? McCarron?

I've been a fan of the guy for 2 years. No bandwagon here, doc. My thoughts on him are well documented on this site.

Didn't see Carr play. McCarron--why not? Played well. Played a lot of games.

I've been a fan of the guy for 2 years. No bandwagon here, doc. My thoughts on him are well documented on this site.

Didn't see Carr play. McCarron--why not? Played well. Played a lot of games.

So you've been following Manziel since the very first game he started? And there have been a lot of QB's who played well in college who fizzled in the pros. But you're on record for Manziel and McCarron. Any others you saw who you thought played well?

I think I am.

http://www.cbssports...p-him-in-pocket

"The best way to have success against Russell Wilson?

"Make him throw from the pocket," one NFC general manager told me."

The best way to have success against Wilson is to keep him in the pocket, the same as any of this new generation of mobile quarterbacks. But Wilson is accurate from the pocket. Much more so than Kaepernick and RGIII and a hell of a lot more so than Johnny Manziel. You have a better chance of beating him keeping him in the pocket though because he is such a dynamic dual threat play maker once he escapes.

My position on Manziel is equally well known. I'm saying Vince Young. He will go into a team that needs a Quarterback and he will start day 1 and he will win some games and make some wow plays might even help get his team to the play-offs once, but he will not have sustained long term success in the NFL and my guess is by year 4/5 people are saying he isn't the answer and he is getting cut and fighting elsewhere for a back up job and like Young and Tim Tebow (who he is better than) he will find a back up job difficult to find because he is a Quarterback you have to tailor the offense for and back ups are expected to come in and run the offense that's already there.

EDIT: If someone asked me to pin my colours on the mast of one Quarterback in this draft to be a LONG TERM success in the NFL, I'd go Blake Bortles and I'm not exactly head over heels excited by him.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think he is really talented. I don't know if he would be a Jim Kelly-like franchise QB, but I could see him being pretty successful like Doug Flutie.

Doug Flutie really didn't have a very successful NFL career. His good year with the Bills was pretty much it, if I recall correctly.