NFL getting "hoggy" according to Mark Cuban

Well, if baseball, hockey and basketball (note that, Mr. Cuban) have taught us anything it's that too long of a season with too many games on too many nights of the week will erode the public's interest. I rarely watch regular season games for any professional sport other than football for myriad reasons. Football is by far my favorite, but at least those games usually mean something. One basketball, hockey or baseball game means little. Sure, at the end of the 162 game season two baseball teams tied for the wildcard might have to have a one game playoff, but I'll wait for that and decide then if I want to bother. I honestly don't think I've watched a single pro baseball or basketball game other than playoffs in years - with the few I've attended the exceptions. I've seen a handful of hockey games in person and on TV, but the Sabres are depressing right now. Maybe that'll pick up at some point.

One final thought about playoffs. I can't stand seeing .500 teams make it. It is rare in football, but it happens. It is standard operating procedure in other big sports, however, and it is a big turn off for me. It pushes my interest to the championship round, if even

that. I hope the NFL stands pat in the current format. 12 teams and 16 games is good even if season ticket holders get hosed by having to buy two preseason games. No need for more than 32 teams, either.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. For me the game has just gotten too wide open. I remember when I was young and started watching football it was big when a qb threw for 300 yards in a game. Now there are guys who average 300 yards per game in a season. Just saying this because it has really turned me off the NFL the past few years. The casual fan might like it, but I sure don't.

It's pretty much that now a defensive back looks at the receiver the wrong way and it's pi. Also it's like the receivers can do to the dbs wwhat the dbs could do to the wrs in the 1970s. I really wish the NFL would stop catering to the casual fan.

Too bad you have been turned off by modern football. You missed a great SB, where a 300 yard a game QB was renedered useless by a superior defense.

And you should get over the "casual fan" stuff...

MLB has been ruined by Tony LaRussa and the introduction of over-managing and over-managing pitchers. Way too long. NFL is getting ruined by too many/too much commercialization and breaks. NHL has gotten way too choppy and way too structured/systematic as well. NBA I dont pay much attention to.

I think the first major sport to figure out that they can score more viewers by reducing the games down to 2-2.5 hours will get a huge boost. Olympic hockey was great in that regard. The World Cup this summer will be further proof. People are too busy to invest that much time and the action/intensity is better when compacted. So many people just DVR completely or leave a lag and fast forward through commercials anyways. Might as well just have major sponsors shell out for some in-game visibility.

Money is the ruiner of all things good. Football for me is almost unwatchable. 1:00 games used to be over by 3:40- now they last until 5 because all the added commercials trying to sell you **** you don't need. And they crank the volume for the commercials, making surround sound unlistenable. I used to go to a lot of Bills games, but there was a gap when I didn't see any for many years. Well I couldn't believe how much standing around between plays there was due to all the commercials. There is no flow. I watch champions league soccer- and it is a superior product IMO because there is flow.

Then there is the pussification and desecration of the game. First no wedges. In the grasp. Moving kick off up. Defenseless receiver. RB can't lower head. Excessive fines. Etc.

The NFL was a beautiful game. I have no idea how anyone could !@#$ it up. But they have

You know I read an interesting point the other day. With so many people now dvring the game, less people are watching the actual commercials & the companies are starting to get p*ssed they are paying all this money when people are just fast forwarding the commercial part of the games. It will be interesting over the next few years as I think more & more people are going to start doing this as how this will play out with.

You know I read an interesting point the other day. With so many people now dvring the game, less people are watching the actual commercials & the companies are starting to get p*ssed they are paying all this money when people are just fast forwarding the commercial part of the games. It will be interesting over the next few years as I think more & more people are going to start doing this as how this will play out with.

I think the advertising answer is more in-game ads. I can't believe that pro teams in virtually every sport don't have sponsors' names plastered across their uniforms like racecar drivers do. I know it's happening in soccer. There are already large advertisements visible in the camera shots during football games and other sporting events. Kickoffs have sponsors. The player of the game is sponsored. I have to imagine more is coming.

I can't believe that everybody doesn't DVR football games. I usually DVR them and start watching 1 pm games at about 2:30. There is almost no chance of anything getting spoiled for me and I usually finish up just about when the actual game is finishing. I get more time with the family too.

Also for $40 NFL Rewind give access to all NFL regular season games. Broadcast (no commercials) and condensed, which is usually 40 min or so. Snap, play, tackle, snap, play, tackle, etc. I can burn through a game a day while eating lunch.

Edited by BarleyNY

Im at the point where I am checked out a bit. I would perhaps make a difference if the Bills were in the running... but who knows. As it is, the games are too long, too many breaks, too many rules/interpretations, etc. Even fantasy seems to have grown a bit stale. There are only 2 networks carrying games on Sunday and only 1 slot there are 2 at once, so when you have a commercial, you are "stuck".

NCAA I love. The game is more exciting (mainly because you have a bigger variety of talent levels amongst players), atmosphere is amazing compared to 95% of the NFL, if there is a commercial, there are 20 other games on you can flip to, its on from like noon to 2 AM if Hawaii is home, it is much more fun and interesting to gamble on (spreads, huge o/u, etc)... Since I discovered the awesomeness of NCAA, my Sundays have been spent often doing other things (unless Im at a Bills game).

Could not agree with you more about College Football. Better in every way. Well said.

Could not agree with you more about College Football. Better in every way. Well said.

I agree, too. The number of college games on TV has expanded exponentially, and yet the product does not seem to be overexposed. I think the great thing about college football is the innovation and willingness to try new things that does not seem to exist in the NFL. It seems that college ball is the incubator of new concepts that will eventually make their way to the NFL, never the other way around.

last time I checked the NBA is on 7 days/nights a week. naturally he thinks 3-4 nights for the NFL is bad.

last time I checked the NFL is enjoying record TV ratings. I think he meant exploding not imploding.

to the first half, he definitely has a strong interest in pushing the NFL back.

to the second half, i think hes saying that the decisions they are making during the explosion are going to come back to haunt them 10 years down the line, not that they are suffering today. they almost certainly cant keep up this growth, and may be served well to focus on investments in maintaining instead of growth at some point. they may feel like that growth will naturally do it, others think they are pushing to far and will hurt a little once they cross the peak of this mountain. itll be interesting.

I agree, too. The number of college games on TV has expanded exponentially, and yet the product does not seem to be overexposed. I think the great thing about college football is the innovation and willingness to try new things that does not seem to exist in the NFL. It seems that college ball is the incubator of new concepts that will eventually make their way to the NFL, never the other way around.

The NFL has some parity. The outcome of most games is still in doubt after kickoff. That's not true in the NCAA (Div1).

Watching top Div 1 teams run up the score shamelessly for half their season against tomato can teams isn't very compelling TV (hey---Fla St v Idaho is on!). Until the end of the season, college football is for gamblers, alumnae and people who wish they were alumnae.

The NFL has some parity. The outcome of most games is still in doubt after kickoff. That's not true in the NCAA (Div1).

Watching top Div 1 teams run up the score shamelessly for half their season against tomato can teams isn't very compelling TV (hey---Fla St v Idaho is on!). Until the end of the season, college football is for gamblers, alumnae and people who wish they were alumnae.

That isnt quite true anymore. They figured out that they can make good bucks by scheduling tough games out of the gate. The tomato can games are spread out a lot more. There are good games on every week. If one game is a blowout, there are 25 others to choose from. With the NFL Sunday, we are stuck with the Giants, Cowboys, Jets, and Patriots and whatever they are doing (other than the Bills).

That isnt quite true anymore. They figured out that they can make good bucks by scheduling tough games out of the gate. The tomato can games are spread out a lot more. There are good games on every week. If one game is a blowout, there are 25 others to choose from. With the NFL Sunday, we are stuck with the Giants, Cowboys, Jets, and Patriots and whatever they are doing (other than the Bills).

i agree that many people saying they like college more is a result of getting to pick the 3 best games out of 50 to watch..... and yet many are complaining about getting more nfl games on TV.

i agree that many people saying they like college more is a result of getting to pick the 3 best games out of 50 to watch..... and yet many are complaining about getting more nfl games on TV.

That is because most NFL games are generally bad, IMO

Too bad you have been turned off by modern football. You missed a great SB, where a 300 yard a game QB was renedered useless by a superior defense.

And you should get over the "casual fan" stuff...

I think that Super Bowl says more about Manning than the Seahawks defense. Their defense was very good, but they're not the 86 Bears/2000 Ravens or even 2002 Tampa Bay Bucaneers. Those teams allowed fewer points than this Seahawks defense. The Seahawks coordinator knew what Romeo Crennel & Ron Rivera know about Manning. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/62706/nfln-says-peyton-mannings-kryptonite . Watch this game where Manning slides in the pocket. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091700/2012/REG2/broncos@falcons#menu=highlights&tab=recap I don't recall a more cowardly play in my life.

As for this "casual fan" stuff everyone knows offense sells tickets.

I think the advertising answer is more in-game ads. I can't believe that pro teams in virtually every sport don't have sponsors' names plastered across their uniforms like racecar drivers do. I know it's happening in soccer. There are already large advertisements visible in the camera shots during football games and other sporting events. Kickoffs have sponsors. The player of the game is sponsored. I have to imagine more is coming.

I can't believe that everybody doesn't DVR football games. I usually DVR them and start watching 1 pm games at about 2:30. There is almost no chance of anything getting spoiled for me and I usually finish up just about when the actual game is finishing. I get more time with the family too.

I have been doing something similar for the past 2 seasons. I have software on my PC that records the game and automatically strips out commercials once recording is complete. Then for the 1pm starts we watch the commercial free game while eating dinner Sunday. All I have to do is manually skip halftime. The 4pm games are a little annoying in that we wait until Monday dinner to watch due to the late end of the game,

I also get the bonus of being able to do things with the family Sunday afternoons.

For us it works out extremely well.

In-game ads would be the smart thing for them to do in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Salaries are out of control in pro sports, but NFL has 16 regular season games , NBA has 80. Who is over doing it on TV coverage Mark ?

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said."

Edited by ALF

I think that Super Bowl says more about Manning than the Seahawks defense. Their defense was very good, but they're not the 86 Bears/2000 Ravens or even 2002 Tampa Bay Bucaneers. Those teams allowed fewer points than this Seahawks defense. The Seahawks coordinator knew what Romeo Crennel & Ron Rivera know about Manning. http://espn.go.com/b...ings-kryptonite . Watch this game where Manning slides in the pocket. http://www.nfl.com/g...ights&tab=recap I don't recall a more cowardly play in my life.

As for this "casual fan" stuff everyone knows offense sells tickets.

The Seahawkd D was facing one of the greatest QBs in NFL history having the greatest season in NFL history.

The '85 Bears faced 2 great QBs all year: Motana and Marino. Deberg and Simms were above average. The rest were average or worse (Randy Wright, Hipple, Pagel, Dave Archer, O'Brien, Deiter Brock--in the NFCC!). Marino and the Fins trounced Chicago.

The '85 Bears racked up 34 sacks that season--tops in the league. Last season, 34 sacks would have them tied for 25th in the league with only 5 teams with fewer sacks.

Given the obvious difference in the way the game was played back then, Seattle's 14.4 PPG Defense is far mor impressive than Chicago's 12.4 back in '85.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Impressive season, but not the best of all time. Didn't even have the highest QB rating last season Nick Foles did. Aaron Rodgers 2011 was much more impressive. TD to INT ration 6 to 1. Manning's 2013 td to int ration 11 to 2. It might not seem like much, but for Manning to have the same ratio he would have needed 5 more td passes. If were going by gross numbers here's one for you Manning holds the record for loses in the playoffs. I love how you didn't say anything about my criticisms of him either. Good coordinators like Crennel & Rivera ( A HC now) know how to beat him.

As for your sacks argument. Is there a more overrated statistic? You can get pressure without getting sacks.