ESPN: Bills' backup plan for Byrd underwhelming

Pitta

Well then can the repeated Byrd threads. If its allowed that there is thread after thread after thread whining about Byrd being gone, Buffalo sucks because they didn't keep byrd blah blah blah then I have a right to respond on them. And K-9 hit it on the head, 639? Hell I have a long way to go to catch up

If you don't like the topic it seems logical to ignore threads about the hole he left and filling it? Or am I missing a motivation you have behind it?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like the topic it seems logical to ignore threads about the hole he left and filling it? Or am I missing a motivation you have behind it?

Well how about we do this, mods enforce the rules regarding repeated posts on the same subject? Seems the poster has been hell bent on bashing the Bills repeatedly for losing Byrd which also is against the rules. To continue to bash the Bills over this seems to be a personal crusade on the board. But I guess we can go with this, some fans are hell bent on whining and bitching and bashing the Bills about it, as such I have a right to respond with my opinion as well, that is why the board exists.

Sometimes I wonder if the homers really believe what they are saying. Byrd is very good against the run and a sure tackler. I know that isn't the same thing as him "not being great" in run support but to me this looks like another Byrd bashing post to make some homer feel better about losing him. Also Da'Norris Searcy was afraid to even attempt a tackle towards the goal line against Marshawn Lynch when we played the Seahawks in Toronto. And Duke Williams is great against the run? The guy has barely played in the league, let's watch him play a little before we crown his ass. No offense but your whole post is kind of trash.

I have a hunch that Luka was referring to A Williams, not Duke Williams. But carry on.

It's not their job to "try to make us feel better," and that article is hardly "blasting the Bills."

Their job is to cover football - the NFL. The AFCE is this particular schmucks assignment and he fails miserably.

At least B.R. tries to make us feel better. ESPN only covers the Bills when we sign some high profile name in the off-season or they have nothing else to write about so they just figure "Let's blast the Bills some more"

This is not blasting the Bills. It is just a one handed clap, an open net toss in or just coloring the entire page with ink to paint a picture.

It says next to nothing of substance. It tells the entire NFL network of fans who will come across it - well look at the idiots who post comments below it. One guy seems to know nothing about the Bills and just has an opinion based on other "headlines" he's read before about Buffalo. Mike Heil is who I am talking about - no idea who he is, but he goes to Greensboro College, an expensive liberal arts school and generally known for their pompous brats.

This article and its 16 paragraphs and 33 sentences. That is just very odd. It's written like a Junior High newspaper. And it offers next to no real substance other then to say "The Bills lost one of the leagues best safeties and don't have a name I have heard of to replace him." Instead he hides his ignorance in the team he is paid to follow by saying "Between Byrd and Jim Leonhard -- who remains a free agent -- the Bills are set to lose a total of 16 games started at safety from last season."

Now, let us forget one thing - that he is paid to cover the Bills. Lets just pretend this guy is a professional football journalist. Then I will ask you WTF that means. We are going to lose 16 games started at safety last season because we lost Byrd and Leonhard. Hmm. Byrd and Leonhard played 16 games for us last year at safety. And we lost those 16 games. But, I guess you could say the exact same thing about, oh, DeMarcus Ware? Eric Decker? How many more? Teams lose starting players all the time. Us losing a starting player is just another day in the NFL.

But, to his point that he fails to really provide we do not have a player on the team that satisfies...or gulp, overwhelms him! Instead he suggests

Options remain on the free-agent market. Miami's Chris Clemons, New England's Steve Gregory and Atlanta's Thomas DeCoud all have extensive experience as starters. If their price tags are reasonable, why not create another layer of competition at the position?

Who is to say we haven't? Does he have sources to say we have or have not?

deCoud, ok he is good. Entering his 7th year the guy has 14 INT's, 4 FF's, 3 FR's, and started a lot of games and tackled lots of dudes. He has 3 sacks, too. But in 2012 he had 6 of those INT's. Last year 0. Last year 1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defended. He might have forgot to show up after the first series or something? But I guess that is impressive to some.

Clemmon's 4 INT's in 5 years impresses him? Or are we supposed to be impressed that he had 1 INT last year and 8 passes defended? Searcy out performed this guy in one season, practically.

Steve Gregory's 7 INT's in 10 years impresses him? Entering his 11th season. He is 3 months younger then Leonhard! His best year was 12 starts in the 2012 stellar NE defense with 3 INT's. Last year he must have been allergic to the ball, because the only 3 times he touched the ball was to defend the pass. Not one INT, not one FF, Sack or even a reach around.

Leonhard had 4 INT's last year, 6 passes defended and is going in to his 11th year if he plays anywhere. We all know him and his abilities - so I'll spare it.

Searcy has 3 seasons in his belt, 2 INT's, despite no starts in the 47 games he has played. I guess that is ho hum. But, he had an INT last year, a TD, fumble recovery, 7 passes defended, and 3.5 sacks.

Searcy??? He is younger and looks to be more on an upward path then Gregory who is downward trending clearly. DeCoud may have had issues last year with a scheme or who knows what but the guy didn't bring it and would be a pretty big risk considering for the $mm's he likely wants. I guess regressing from one standout spectacular year is impressive. Clemmons doesn't deserve to be mentioned again. Leonhard is the man, love him, but he's a bit long in the tooth to bring back again. I might, though, come training camp time.

Look RodHack sucks. What he did was basically look at the biggest names he recognized and said they're better then what the Bills have as an option. They're not. They could be, but I don't see definitive conclusions. In fact in just 10 minutes I put together more revelant information on the topic then he did and did so in a way to actually support my conclusion with numbers in a way that any fan might say "hmmm, ok" without some stupid headline.

At what point will Bills fans quit worrying or caring about what ESPN has to say? Who gives a **** about their popularity contest? ESPN has never determined a winner of a Superbowl and never will so ignore their drivel.

The weird things people say on this board are perplexing. So you are saying nobody at ESPN thought the Seahawks were going to win the Super Bowl LAST year? Seemed like a trendy pick to me. I don't care about ESPN but it's not because they state the obvious. :doh:

I'm the most optimistic homer out there, but if you can't see why the average NFL fan would compare their teams struggles to our legendary run of futility, IDK what to tell you.

There was a question on ESPN the other night about whether or not the Detroit Tigers were turning into MLB's Buffalo Bills.

Take your pick--for american males aged 34-62, we're the team that lost 4 straight Super Bowls and over stayed their welcome on the national stage--America's begrudged "lovable losers".

For american males aged 18-34, we're the team that hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years, and hasn't won a playoff game since the 90s.

Either way, we're losers.

But, play enough seasons, and eventually, we'll be winners.

It's the fact that they have defied those odds and continued to lose that earns them such disgust from sports fans.

We had a thread here that analyzed the odds of missing the NFL playoffs for 14 straight years and the number was infintesimal.....like 2 hundredths of 1 percent. :lol:

Their meer existence frightens a lot of fans who don't want to think about ever having to endure such horrible football for so long.

This isn't MLB where the deck is stacked against small markets......losing continuously in the NFL is inexcusable.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

http://espn.go.com/b...d-underwhelming

As with when Levitre left, the lack of succession plan in place for when we let good players leave is frustrating. Williams, Meeks, and Searcy were mid-round picks for a reason, and none of them have shown that they are worthy of a starting position. I hope the Bills do bring in a veteran at S at some point

Mid-round picks are drafted into the NFL for a reason; because they can play. Plenty of mid-round picks in the Hall-of-Fame. Plenty of 1st rounders did nothing. A player can't show his worth until given an opportunity. Step off the ledge and let the players and coaches do what they do. They made the team because they showed the coaches they can play. Now lets see if they can take the next step. They don't need to be Byrd. They just need to do their job. They will be surrounded by talent. Should make things easier on them.

Edited by purple haze

Mid-round picks are drafted into the NFL for a reason; because they can play. Plenty of mid-round picks in the Hall-of-Fame. Plenty of 1st rounders did nothing. A player can't show his worth until given an opportunity. Step off the ledge and let the players and coaches do what they do. They made the team because they showed the coaches they can play. Now lets see if they can take the next step. They don't need to be Byrd. They just need to do their job. They will be surrounded by talent. Should make things easier on them.

Nicely put and a much appreciated perspective.

GO BILLS!!!

Anyone see the shot some texans fan took at the bills in john Clayton's mailbag?? Said something about the texans Turing into the bills. Was a definite low blow and idk why they would even

Post an answer to a question stated the way that one was

But is it not true?? Bills haven't made the playoffs in how long? It's not a low blow its the truth!!!! I love this team as much as anyone on here but it is reality!!! Mismanagement from the top down, not signing good players, coaching and QB carousels, major draft flops (GOD AARON MAYBIN WITH BRIAN ORAKPO ON BOARD STILL BOILS MY BLOOD), business heads running football ops, the list goes on and on......we are the 90s Lions, 80s Bucs......embrace the suck.....we are what every pro team does NOT want to be. BUT, I think things are looking up!!! Numbers, stats and trends dictate this cant go on forever!!!

At what point will Bills fans quit worrying or caring about what ESPN has to say? Who gives a **** about their popularity contest? ESPN has never determined a winner of a Superbowl and never will so ignore their drivel.

Exactly right here. Everyone knows the only assessment of your overall team that matters is the offseason NFL Power Rankings!

Edited by LABillzFan

This is an epic conflation of the argument about mid round picks. If either Meeks or J. Williams were decent, they'd have received more playing time. Rodak makes this point, which is lost on those who don't like what Rodak has to say.

The NFL isn't little league where all the kids get a chance to play and we hope each one does well. The 2014 Buffalo Bills are under the gun to win this season, not next year or 2016. I doubt the Doug's are thrilled with, at this point, having a possible starter in their defensive secondary who hasn't started 1 game at the position.

Anyone see the shot some texans fan took at the bills in john Clayton's mailbag?? Said something about the texans Turing into the bills. Was a definite low blow and idk why they would even

Post an answer to a question stated the way that one was

Texans turning into the Bills? They should be so lucky.

This is an epic conflation of the argument about mid round picks. If either Meeks or J. Williams were decent, they'd have received more playing time. Rodak makes this point, which is lost on those who don't like what Rodak has to say.

The NFL isn't little league where all the kids get a chance to play and we hope each one does well. The 2014 Buffalo Bills are under the gun to win this season, not next year or 2016. I doubt the Doug's are thrilled with, at this point, having a possible starter in their defensive secondary who hasn't started 1 game at the position.

Can't agree with this considering who they had playing in front of them for starters. Secondly, are you really surprised that two rookie mid-round picks, one of whom was IRd early on, didn't receive more playing time?

We won't know for a while if they are "decent" or not. But if they weren't good enough to be drafted in the first place, they wouldn't have been. How about waiting to see if a year in pro ball and maturation does them any good before just condemning them as crappy players?

GO BILLS!!!

While I'll admit to being under-impressed by Williams and Meeks as rookies, I really don't see how the Bills could have done much more to prepare for Byrd's departure... A 4th and a 5th round pick as insurance against losing a player you thought you would retain is not terrible planning...And I'm not going to put a tremendous amount of worry into how the two kids looked as rookies trying to adjust from College to Pettine's system...Both Duke and Meeks have excellent athletic ability and they started a combined 60 games in College...There is some potential there...That being said I'm certain another vet will be signed, or the Bills will Draft another Safety...Maybe both... B-)

I agree with everything besides the last sentence. I think our Defense overall will be even more improved again this year and these Safeties are the plan (we are not going to fill the position with a high priced player). We did prepare for Byrd's departure by hedging our picks with two players in the 4th and 5th rounds last year (a large investment). Duke was one of the highest rated Safeties in that draft.

I don't think Searcy is in the starting job equation. And, he was drafted by the old regime. Pettine used him in good formation and plays last year. But, he is just a situational player.

Worst case scenario if neither of these two young Safeties don't progress thru the offseason and training camp we can then pick up a vet that is cut for final rosters. That is worst case scenario, but, I don't think it will come to that. Heck, Leonhard will still be available most likely at final cuts. I think we are better off with the young kids though. :D

Texans turning into the Bills? They should be so lucky.

Remember when Bud Adams gave Bills fans the finger?

Do you mean Duke Williams? He is more than a decent NFL S prospect, and just because Rodak says something doesn't make it true. I did wonder on this same board last fall why Duke was not playing during Byrd's injury. The reason was they were developing him and had depth with Leonhard who Pettine felt comfortable with because he knew the scheme, and Searcy who had experience and made some great plays. Duke did play on ST, and well. No one is saying he is going to be Cam Chancellor, but there isn't any reason to write him off because he didn't play much his rookie year. Edited by YoloinOhio

Remember when Bud Adams gave Bills fans the finger?

Do you mean Duke Williams? He is more than a decent NFL S prospect, and just because Rodak says something doesn't make it true. I did wonder on this same board last fall why Duke was not playing during Byrd's injury. The reason was they were developing him and had depth with Leonhard who Pettine felt comfortable with because he knew the scheme, and Searcy who had experience and made some great plays. Duke did play on ST, and well. No one is saying he is going to be Cam Chancellor, but there isn't any reason to write him off because he didn't play much his rookie year.

Totally agree!

• 1 month later...

The weird things people say on this board are perplexing. So you are saying nobody at ESPN thought the Seahawks were going to win the Super Bowl LAST year? Seemed like a trendy pick to me. I don't care about ESPN but it's not because they state the obvious. :doh:

It's the fact that they have defied those odds and continued to lose that earns them such disgust from sports fans.

We had a thread here that analyzed the odds of missing the NFL playoffs for 14 straight years and the number was infintesimal.....like 2 hundredths of 1 percent. :lol:

Their meer existence frightens a lot of fans who don't want to think about ever having to endure such horrible football for so long.

This isn't MLB where the deck is stacked against small markets......losing continuously in the NFL is inexcusable.

Assuming that all NFL teams have a equal chance, the odds of missing the playoffs 14 years is 0.1%. Similarly, the odds of winning the Super Bowl are 3.1%. In other words, missing the playoffs 14 times in a row is like winning the Super Bowl if the NFL expanded to 1024 teams.