Jerry Hughes

With the recent additions at LB and the switch to the 4-3 defense, where does this leave Jerry Hughes? Pettine wisely used Hughes as a situational pass rusher last year as Hughes had a breakout year. I'm suspecting Schwartz will have Hughes at DE and rotate him out with Lawson, but that's just my guess. Has there been anything official from Bills about Hughes?

With the recent additions at LB and the switch to the 4-3 defense, where does this leave Jerry Hughes? Pettine wisely used Hughes as a situational pass rusher last year as Hughes had a breakout year. I'm suspecting Schwartz will have Hughes at DE and rotate him out with Lawson, but that's just my guess. Has there been anything official from Bills about Hughes?

you hit the nail on the head - lawson primarily on running downs, hughes on passing downs, both getting a few snaps when mario needs a break, branch few snaps here and there but working inside a lot more often. 3rd or 4th round DE for depth wouldn't go amiss.

i dont think theres been much, as i think most are taking it as a given that he will simply be a pass rusher opposite mario. any other position or role wouldnt make much sense.

to dwags follow up -- i dont know that lawson will be DE on running downs much though, at 240lbs.

Edited by NoSaint

you hit the nail on the head - lawson primarily on running downs, hughes on passing downs, both getting a few snaps when mario needs a break, branch few snaps here and there but working inside a lot more often. 3rd or 4th round DE for depth wouldn't go amiss.

I agree a 3rd or 4th round DE may be in the making. There are some quality DE's that project to be available in that range, and even in 5 and 6.

I was just saying in the shout box how this team doesn't have another starting quality 4-3 DE on the roster. If the Bills trot out Stevie and Woods in a 2 WR package, I'm not worrying. Our DEs are a weaker group than WR and could stand to upgrade there before any other position group.

I agree JayBaller, I feel the Bills could use another quality DE as guys like Hughes and Lawson will be part-time DE's. I haven't heard anything about Moats being resigned, but if he is sill going to be on the team, I think he would do good as a situational pass rusher as well.

I was just saying in the shout box how this team doesn't have another starting quality 4-3 DE on the roster. If the Bills trot out Stevie and Woods in a 2 WR package, I'm not worrying. Our DEs are a weaker group than WR and could stand to upgrade there before any other position group.

this is what i have been thinking about lately as well. as much as i really want a big, athletic receiving threat, i can't help but think of the defensive guys that stepped up last year that might not have a great fit in this year's defense. hughes was very good at what he did, as was lawson. i don't think that either one of those guys look like an every down classic 4-3 defensive end. maybe we aren't going to have this style of defense, maybe we do and these guys step up again and fill the role nicely. but there is still a nagging voice in my head saying that we don't have this year's 2nd de on the roster yet.

The Bills were in a 4-3 last year. Not much has changed. Unlikely that much will change. Worry away if you must. Single gapping is single gapping when you play an under defense. Schwartz ran the identical alignment the Bills used as a base depending on down and distance last year. The sub-packages are likely where the real differences in scheme will materialize, if by much at all.

He may be Buffalo's surprise cut this year. Anyone think the Bills might pick up another big DE in this draft?

I think they will in the 3-7th round. Or, talking about DL, they take the BPA at 9, which could be Aaron Donald.

Edited by RyanC883

The Bills were in a 4-3 last year. Not much has changed. Unlikely that much will change. Worry away if you must. Single gapping is single gapping when you play an under defense. Schwartz ran the identical alignment the Bills used as a base depending on down and distance last year. The sub-packages are likely where the real differences in scheme will materialize, if by much at all.

This^^^ - Quoting for truth :)

Won't Branch and Dareus see snaps at DE with one of them in the middle beside KW? Mario on the other side? Branch and Dareus both saw snaps at DE last year in certain formations. Dareus played both in College. I personally like Dareus inside and Branch outside.

plus 1.

i am worried about branch, but if you cyle branch, lawson and hughes i think we will be fine.

Won't Branch and Dareus see snaps at DE with one of them in the middle beside KW? Mario on the other side? Branch and Dareus both saw snaps at DE last year in certain formations. Dareus played both in College. I personally like Dareus inside and Branch outside.

id guess primarily in 3 man fronts, sure, with mario or hughes as an OLB you may have seen them at DE. and dareus was a 34 DE in college. but expecting a 330lbs and 4.9+ 40 time, or branch and his 5.0+ 40 to move outside and rush the passer isnt ideal. the speed and agility to get around the tackle just isnt there consistently enough. for a play here or there you can get by if beefing up on a 3rd and 1 or such but dont expect branch and dareus at 43 DE consistently.

Interesting that would actually put less big bodies on the field than having branch or a Carrington type on LDE, as was with bills d last year.

Pettine's 3-4 regularly featured 4 down lineman.

This defense has all the talent in the world to work with. It's really up to the scheme now which will determine its fate.

He may be Buffalo's surprise cut this year.

You are absolutely insane. Why would we cut someone who is dirt cheap and just had a career year? If he doesn't fit our scheme, we should at least try to trade him for someone who does (like the swap we made to get him), or a draft pick of some sort. No way the Bills just outright cut him. He's cheap, and clearly productive when used correctly.

We largely played a hybrid 4-3 last year, I don't see why the trio of Hughes, Lawson, and Branch cannot be productive at the other "DE" position.. they seemed to do ok last year.