Manny Lawson, what will become of him?

Buftex

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little surprised they decided to sign Rivers and start him over Lawson. It sounds like Lawson will be moving into a passing situation role

I know he is a bit light but can't help but wonder with his height and long arms if he doesn't end up at DE opposite Mario

Edited by Max997

Makes you wonder in a 4-3 who plays DE opposite of Mario. KW isn't built that way and doesn't have the speed. Branch is not a DE IN A 4-3. He's a good second line DT. I don't know if Lawson has strength and speed to play DE.

Makes me think we take a pass rusher in the second round.

Lawson definitely has the strength and speed. But he's only 240#.

I was a little surprised they decided to sign Rivers and start him over Lawson. Its sounds like Lawson will be moving into a passing situation role

I know he is a bit light but can't help but wonder with his height and long arms if he doesn't end up at DE opposite Mario

Got this off Twitter. Lawson's projected as the backup Base 4-3 RDE opposite Mario, and the backup SLB in the same scheme. When they go 3-3-5 pass defense, he's the DE. IMHO Bills will look for a 3-4 or 3-3-5 DE who is also a good DE43 in the draft. To me, that's Kareem Martin RD3 or 4.

BillsDef.jpg

Edited by Astrobot

One thing that has been misunderstood around here is that in a 4-3 defense there is room for a smaller quicker DE and Hughes can fit that bill. He's definitely a pass rusher first, but was wasn't just speed. He is capable of bull rushing a QB and that takes strength. He would be great in a wide 9 set as well. Hughes showed a lot last year and it wasn't just as a speed rusher.

Edited by Spiderweb

I'd assume that Branch would still start at DE. If not, then Hughes, who has more bulk than Lawson. Lawson I'm keeping around if Rivers can't hack it at SLB, and if I had my druthers, would have start there anyway and make Rivers a backup.

But I'm not the expert.

I'd assume that Branch would still start at DE. If not, then Hughes, who has more bulk than Lawson. Lawson I'm keeping around if Rivers can't hack it at SLB, and if I had my druthers, would have start there anyway and make Rivers a backup.

But I'm not the expert.

if doing a wide 9 scheme, branch would be far from a fit. if doing any base 43 hes not a DE really. that he was extended before pettine left could make him another awkward fit potentially.

if doing a wide 9 scheme, branch would be far from a fit. if doing any base 43 hes not a DE really. that he was extended before pettine left could make him another awkward fit potentially.

I don't think it's going to be a wide 9 scheme. But what they do with Branch and the DE opposite Mario is anyone's guess.

I don't think it's going to be a wide 9 scheme. But what they do with Branch and the DE opposite Mario is anyone's guess.

I fear they end up trying to re-do the entire process.

Finding some sort of hybrid wide-9 system where we cannot use Branch and Lawson finds no position. Moving Branch to some inside sub-role at DT, and Lawson getting pushed around and aside to just find somewhere to put him.

I fear they end up trying to re-do the entire process.

Finding some sort of hybrid wide-9 system where we cannot use Branch and Lawson finds no position. Moving Branch to some inside sub-role at DT, and Lawson getting pushed around and aside to just find somewhere to put him.

Again I think at-worst those 2 guys are fall backs in case Rivers can't hack it at SLB and they start Hughes opposite Mario. What I got from Schwartz' presser is that the "wide 9" was to address a particular problem in facing his divisional opponents and that it won't be more than a situational thing with the Bills. Again he has a blueprint for what was successful, but he still needs to improve the run defense, and hopefully moving Kiko out of MLB and Spikes in will accomplish a lot of that.

Manny should be starting over rivers. He can cover he can stop the run and he can rush the passer. He can do it all and has played 4-3 olb in cinci. He like kiko doesnt need to come off thr field in different situations like spikes has to.

I agree. I just hope they make SLB an open competition and may the best man win!

See that really is the issue that people seem to be missing......we did NOT RUN A 3-4 LAST YEAR

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from. Every game started-off in a base 4-3 defense. They did use 3-4, as well as wide 9 and other schemes, but base they were 4-3.

See that really is the issue that people seem to be missing......we did NOT RUN A 3-4 LAST YEAR

What play are you talking about? We ran almost every defense in the book last year

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from. Every game started-off in a base 4-3 defense. They did use 3-4, as well as wide 9 and other schemes, but base they were 4-3.

There were a couple games toward the end of the year where we came out with a straight up 3-4 to start the game. But it never lasted very long.

There were a couple games toward the end of the year where we came out with a straight up 3-4 to start the game. But it never lasted very long.

According to the NFL gamebooks, the Bills started in a 4-3 in every game.