Browns to sign Whitner

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See he is a perfect example of its all about the money. SF is the #2 team in football and could get to a superbowl next year, Cleveland right now is worse than Buffalo and basically the crappiest Org. in the NFL. But he is willing to leave SF for Cleveland? Its all about the money and nothing more.

See he is a perfect example of its all about the money. SF is the #2 team in football and could get to a superbowl next year, Cleveland right now is worse than Buffalo and basically the crappiest Org. in the NFL. But he is willing to leave SF for Cleveland? Its all about the money and nothing more.

He's from there and SF might not want him back.

IT's crazy the amount of hate he gets but this will be the 3rd team he is going to start for. He probably will do well in Pettine's system.

That and maybe the fact he is from the Cleveland area.

IT's crazy the amount of hate he gets but this will be the 3rd team he is going to start for. He probably will do well in Pettine's system.

Can't believe everything you read, but I think SF does want him back...

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 19h

Report: Bears, Browns, Jets suitors for Donte Whitner, whom San Francisco wants to retain http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qHR

This x1000. He is a decent NFL player. The guy is going to start for his hometown team for a lot of money and he is still getting criticized. Let it go people!

I agree. I as somwhat surprised to hear yesterday that Pettine doesn't want TJ Ward back because he doesn't like his style of play. Not sure what that means exactly. Other than he likes to hurt guys' knees (EJ, Gronk).

This x1000. He is a decent NFL player. The guy is going to start for his hometown team for a lot of money and he is still getting criticized. Let it go people!

He lives in Cleveland in the off-season. He is probably excited.

Or he just wants to go home and play. Players go where the money is first and foremost. I agree with that. I'm sure Whitner isn't taking a nickel less to go to Cleveland. But when money is nearly equal players go play where they want. It could be in a nice weather city, a fun city where lots is happening, their hometown where their family is, the city they set up roots in after they were drafted or to play for a coach they love. Whitner made his choice to go home and it's the same choice a lot on this board would make if they were in his shoes.

He probably will do well in Pettine's system.

do you know what I could do with Whitner and that Browns defense? Of I kept Ward or got Byrd or added a FS. Then find a good outside LB and find a good 2 down LB?

The havoc I could impact? The game would be great and turnovers would happen. And if I had trouble in the run game Ido whatever i can to sign Wilfork next off season.

Pet tine and his style with mine. And finally a chance to use Whitner the way he should be used - phenomenal. I'd run some sort of 3 man front with a hybrid DE/OLB and then a Mike and Will. On run downs throw in that MLB run stopper. For Whitner he'd play the backfield, no TE's and I'd send him on a few blitzes. I'd get a big physical nickel back to cover TE's and man up my CB's to let the FS cover the top.

Good signing for the Browns. They have ideal personel

SF might want him back, but probably not for close to what Cleveland is offering. And he gets to go back home.

Yes he does. Maybe while he is there he can get tased a few more time lol!! Either way, I hope Cleveland does sign him and pay him well. It's somehow refreshing to see a team with a front office that is dumber than ours.

http://deadspin.com/5208901/tazed-and-confused-at-ted-ginns-birthday-bash

Edited by Bill from NYC

More importantly (and how has this not been brought up yet?)

The Bills ap said there were three suitors for Byrd:

Miami

Cleveland

and St. Louis

Now with Miami having signed Delmas, and the Browns (apparently) targeting Whitner,

that leaves the Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Rams as the only suitors for Byrd?

Yes he does. Maybe while he is there he can get tased a few more time lol!! Either way, I hope Cleveland does sign him and pay him well. It's somehow refreshing to see a team with a front office that is dumber than ours.

http://deadspin.com/...s-birthday-bash

What are your thoughts on this? I can't decide if it is dumb (Schaub was horrid last year) or smart (Shanny Jr was his OC when he was good, they can take Watkins or Mack at 4 instead of a QB)...

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 10h

QB Matt Schaub is a "serious possibility'' for Cleveland Browns, would compete with Brian Hoyer, source says http://dlvr.it/56ZYXm

Football writers have been punching huge holes in Whitners game lately. I think the 49ers fans might be happy to see him go. Bill barnwell of grantland/espn hates whitner.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I thought I read that San Fran was not going to re-sign him. and when hasn't it been about the money? Every one of us would take as much money as we could. One injury ends your career.

Edited by nucci

Decent vs run....once playoffs come around you throw right towards whitners area and the wr's have a field day.

Not a big fan. Occasional big hit is fun but that's it jmo.

Decent vs run....once playoffs come around you throw right towards whitners area and the wr's have a field day.

Not a big fan. Occasional big hit is fun but that's it jmo.

He is decent that's all. The Bills have had much worse players (McCargo, Mike Williams, Losman, Maybin) all drafted in the 1st in the last decade or so. People are still going out of their way to rip the guy for taking what sounds like $6M a year to play for his hometown team where he will start. As JBoyst covered above if used correctly he can be effective. He is never going to be good in coverage but he is not a CFL player either.

I was just taking issue with him being criticized for being all about the money. That's just false. By most accounts I would think that is a good fit for he and his family.

What are your thoughts on this? I can't decide if it is dumb (Schaub was horrid last year) or smart (Shanny Jr was his OC when he was good, they can take Watkins or Mack at 4 instead of a QB)...

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 10h

QB Matt Schaub is a "serious possibility'' for Cleveland Browns, would compete with Brian Hoyer, source says http://dlvr.it/56ZYXm

It makes sense imo. And btw I have heard her on Sirius. She is very smart.